• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Election - UKIP vote share?

UKIP overall vote share?

• 0-4%

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • 5-9%

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • 10-14%

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • 15-19%

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • 20-24%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 25% or more

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheKnightWho

Established Member
I'll never know why wishing to control immigration is racist but never mind, it's what happens when people lose the argument. I mean, isn't it terrible, thinking 300,000 extra people each year might just be causing too much strain on public services and introducing too much cultural change in some areas of the country which in turn, causes division when there is not sufficient time to integrate with the local community.

And do you know what I say to that? No more old people leaving in droves to Spain and France. Suddenly they'll have to stay here and put massive strain on public services instead.

British emigrants to the EU number almost exactly the same as EU immigrants. The difference being that young, healthy workers put a lot less strain on public services than old people, even with their pensions.

me123

Established Member
British emigrants to the EU number almost exactly the same as EU immigrants. The difference being that young, healthy workers put a lot less strain on public services than old people, even with their pensions.

Exactly. Of course, they're not migrants when they leave the UK, they're "ex-pats", a much nicer term all around.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Exactly. Of course, they're not migrants when they leave the UK, they're "ex-pats", a much nicer term all around.

Presumably doesn't leave a sour taste in the mouth.

Mark Reckless continuing to show he's worthy of the name by saying that Irish people aren't immigrants today! I mean, there are only 2 conclusions you can make from that - either he considers Ireland effectively part of the UK which makes him imperialist, or he doesn't see people "with the same values" (a euphemism for "white people") as immigrants, which is racist.

Unsurprisingly the Daily Mail comments seemed to agree with him, which really does betray the attitudes of middle England: people are only immigrants if they're the undesirables. Otherwise they're "our cousins" (who happen to be from a foreign country) or, as you say, expats.

LWB

Presumably doesn't leave a sour taste in the mouth.

Mark Reckless continuing to show he's worthy of the name by saying that Irish people aren't immigrants today! I mean, there are only 2 conclusions you can make from that - either he considers Ireland effectively part of the UK which makes him imperialist, or he doesn't see people "with the same values" (a euphemism for "white people") as immigrants, which is racist.

Unsurprisingly the Daily Mail comments seemed to agree with him, which really does betray the attitudes of middle England: people are only immigrants if they're the undesirables. Otherwise they're "our cousins" (who happen to be from a foreign country) or, as you say, expats.

Same values does not mean white. At the peak of the Croatian troubles the small market town I live in in the North of England was designated to receive some hundreds of refugees. We were of course the 'never lock my door', 'just ask and I'll help you', etc rural bumpkins. These people, white as white could be had different values. In the end I kept my doors unlocked but kept a shotgun loaded beside my bed and always carried a Stanley knife with a fresh blade in it. In point of fact they hated it here and eventually returned home, however, just give it up on the covering the naivety of your arguments with the 'anti immigration is racist' carp.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Same values does not mean white. At the peak of the Croatian troubles the small market town I live in in the North of England was designated to receive some hundreds of refugees. We were of course the 'never lock my door', 'just ask and I'll help you', etc rural bumpkins. These people, white as white could be had different values. In the end I kept my doors unlocked but kept a shotgun loaded beside my bed and always carried a Stanley knife with a fresh blade in it. In point of fact they hated it here and eventually returned home, however, just give it up on the covering the naivety of your arguments with the 'anti immigration is racist' carp.
Uh... huh...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We will never get concensus over whether or not UKIP are 'racist' but, whatever they are, it's unsavory. See http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/12919466.Ukip_candidate_accused_of____personal_attack___/

Ken Guest is standing for election in York Central, but when museum worker Sam Carter wrote to him, questioning the party's policies and criticising its claims on immigration, Mr Guest hit back with what Mr Carter has called rude and personally insulting emails...
A copy of the email exchange the article refers to can be found here (PDF format), the part I found the most amusing was:
Ken Guest said:
Since you clearly support the concept of the EU then you cannot claim to be in favour of democracy and hence I have to assume that you either favour anarchy, dictatorship or communism
This individual got 10% of the vote in York.

TheKnightWho

Established Member

White = Western European White in this context. And it's a euphemism - it's hardly meant to be all encompassing - it's just the sort of thing people say.

And yes, racism is exactly the right word. Racism against Slavs is huge here, as your post demonstrates, really... Patronising and insulting me by insisting it is "merely" xenophobia really isn't selling your position to me.

Last edited:

Senex

Established Member
Racism against Slavs is huge here, as your post demonstrates, really...

A good many of the Polish, Czech, Latvian, etc workers here are better educated and more capable of holding a coherent conversation in decent English than a good many of the local products of our own schools. And what would professional football do without the Russians (or the London housing market, come to that)?

Amberley54

.......And where would the Daily Mail online forum be without their input?

Read over the weekend somewhere that over 50% of ex-pats who had maintained their IVR for UK General Elections plumped for UKIP last Thursday. Interesting.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
.......And where would the Daily Mail online forum be without their input?

Read over the weekend somewhere that over 50% of ex-pats who had maintained their IVR for UK General Elections plumped for UKIP last Thursday. Interesting.

I wondered who on earth bought all those Terry and June and To The Manor Born DVDs.:lol:

martinsh

Established Member
A good many of the Polish, Czech, Latvian, etc workers here are better educated and more capable of holding a coherent conversation in decent English than a good many of the local products of our own schools. And what would professional football do without the Russians (or the London housing market, come to that)?

I entirely agree with the above, but would like to point out 2 things

1) Latvians are NOT Slavs !! Ethnic Latvians (and Lithuanians) are the last remaining Balts. Unfortunately about 25% of Latvian population is of Russian origin - mainly forced immigration in Soviet times.

2) IMHO, real football in England would be much better off without oligarchs of Russian (or any other) nationality.

Senex

Established Member
I entirely agree with the above, but would like to point out 2 things

1) Latvians are NOT Slavs !! Ethnic Latvians (and Lithuanians) are the last remaining Balts. Unfortunately about 25% of Latvian population is of Russian origin - mainly forced immigration in Soviet times.

2) IMHO, real football in England would be much better off without oligarchs of Russian (or any other) nationality.

Where did I say that the Latvians were Slavs? As someone whose speciality long ago was Comparative Philology (to use the old-fashioned name), I am very well aware of the different groupings, linguistic and otherwise, in Europe and to some extent beyond.

The point about the forced migration of Russians is well made and is even more true of the former East Prussia (or in the light of the next paragraph, should I write Borussia?) and the conversion of the German city of Königsberg into the purely Russian Kaliningrad.

And yes, English football would be vastly better off without the oligarchs, from the Glazers right across to the Russians.

St Rollox

A shotgun and a stanley knife!!!

HilversumNS

I kept my doors unlocked but kept a shotgun loaded beside my bed and always carried a Stanley knife with a fresh blade in it.

From https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

It is illegal to:
carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.

From http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/a...earmslic/aboutus-depts-firearmslic-thelaw.htm

When not in use, shotguns must be stored securely, so as to prevent – so far as is reasonably practicable – access by unauthorised persons.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

One thing to consider is that the poster is referring to events in the early/mid 90s and I believe the law was a bit more lax at that time when it came to carrying a knife.

(Not that I'm suggesting that it's appropriate to carry a knife around only that the legal situation may well have been different!)

HilversumNS

One thing to consider is that the poster is referring to events in the early/mid 90s and I believe the law was a bit more lax at that time when it came to carrying a knife.

(Not that I'm suggesting that it's appropriate to carry a knife around only that the legal situation may well have been different!)

Good point.

Reminds me of Trevor McDonald who told viewers of News at Ten that if they wished to know more about a knife crime story they should 'go to ITV dot com forward slash news'.

Status
Not open for further replies.