• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General English Translation Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giugiaro

Good evening!

I'm on the process of working on the signage of the "new" Arco coaches by CP and, since we have translation of text to Portuguese, Spanish and English, one of my goals is to use as many precedents as possible.

This is not the first time I come forward to this forum looking for help, so some people may already know what I'm on about.

This time, I have a sign that informs the passenger that the car has AVAC. Is there anything similar in British English?

I'm unsure between the terms "Climate Controlled Coach" or "Air Conditioned Coach", or eventually something else.

1641228682172.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
Both climate controlled and air conditioned are terms in common use. They tend to be used interchangeably by some people who mistakenly think they are the same.

Air conditioned means air conditioning is fitted (but normally manually turned on-off)
Climate Controlled means the air is set for temperature, humidity, and usually filtered (for pollen, dust etc).

For automatic air conditioning and ventilation areas, it is normal to show Climate Controlled - Please keep the door closed (or similar) on notices.

Giugiaro

Thank you.

Given the details provided, this seems like a reasonable solution for me.
I shortened the text to just "Climate Controlled" just so I could have the thin symbols a bit bigger.

1641290720215.png

XAM2175

Established Member
Given the details provided, this seems like a reasonable solution for me.
I shortened the text to just "Climate Controlled" just so I could have the thin symbols a bit bigger.
Yes, this works well :)

Giugiaro

Hello again!

At the moment I have a situation where we're setting a safe distance from a broken electric wire. According to DSB this would be 5 metres.

In the English translation I'm including both the metric and an imperial unit, but I'm unsure if I should use 17 feet or 5 yards.

What is your suggestion?

Ediswan

Established Member
Hello again!

At the moment I have a situation where we're setting a safe distance from a broken electric wire. According to DSB this would be 5 metres.

In the English translation I'm including both the metric and an imperial unit, but I'm unsure if I should use 17 feet or 5 yards.

What is your suggestion?
No opinion on whether feet or yards is better. But 5 yards would be less than 5 metres, so it would be safer to round up to 6 yards.

TheEdge

Established Member
Official British signage very rarely includes imperial units, if ever really.

In the (very) few cases where I've seen imperial still used in modern settings it's been in feet.

Giugiaro

Well, since people from the UK and Ireland are probably be ok with metres, this will mostly be geared towards North Americans/Canadians, as they are less familiar with metric units.

Since I hear them use yards with some frequency, I'd expect this to be a better metric to eyeball the distance?

Also, on another note, what expression do you use for the section of track between two stations? It certainly cannot be "mainline" because that could cause confusion with the branch lines.

I can only think of "along the line", but surely there must be a much better way to frase it, like "plena via" in Portuguese.

DelW

Established Member
I think most Canadians are familiar with metric measures.

In the US, my recollection is that road signs use feet rather than yards e.g. for distance to a junction. On their railways, they certainly use feet for describing train lengths, even when those may be more than two miles long.

I can't think of a specific phrase for track between stations - possibly if you could give the context in which it will be used that might help?

alxndr

Established Member
Well, since people from the UK and Ireland are probably be ok with metres, this will mostly be geared towards North Americans/Canadians, as they are less familiar with metric units.

Since I hear them use yards with some frequency, I'd expect this to be a better metric to eyeball the distance?
Yards is a bit more visual, but I think feet is more appropriate as it's more accurate, you don't want to be rounding down for safety matters. I'd be inclined to say 16' 5" or 16' 6" as that's more in keeping with what I'm used to.

To give an idea of how this is handled on the UK railway, the equivalents for safety distances for various different situations are generally quoted as:
2.75m = 9' (actual 9 foot and 0.26 inches)
2m = 6' 6" (actual 6 feet and 6.74 inches)
1.25m = 4' (actual 4 feet and 1.21 inches)
Also, on another note, what expression do you use for the section of track between two stations? It certainly cannot be "mainline" because that could cause confusion with the branch lines.

I can only think of "along the line", but surely there must be a much better way to frase it, like "plena via" in Portuguese.
Could you give us the sentence so we can see it in context? I'm not sure there is an easy direct equivalent.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I would not use 16' 5", that takes a moment to understand, I would use 17', and perhaps use the word 'feet'.

The situation in the UK is unusual, it has been discussed elsewhere on these forums. Despite being taught metric at school many people prefer to use imperial. You could say they are bilingual in units of measure.

Giugiaro

I can't think of a specific phrase for track between stations - possibly if you could give the context in which it will be used that might help?
Could you give us the sentence so we can see it in context? I'm not sure there is an easy direct equivalent.
Não use o alarme/freio de emergência, exceto se instruído para tal. Haverá melhor auxílio na próxima estação, do que em plena via!
Refrain from using the alarm/emergency brake unless instructed to. There will be better help at the next station, than along the line!

The alarm on the Arcos, AFAIK are only emergency brakes. When a passenger pulls on them, the train comes to a complete stop.
There is no intermediate step that allows the passenger to communicate remotely with the conductor or driver. It slams on the brakes and signals an alarm.
If this happens on the middle of the itinerary between two stations (say, between Tua and Pinhão) that would make a rescue operation far more difficult. Hence Why I'm trying to discourage it.

In this case, since the conductor will always be present in the vehicle doing his duty as a ticket inspector, it's best to first inform him/her of any issue so that they can decide whether to bring the train to a halt on the spot, or proceed to the next station (or the one that'll have a proper rescue available).

Last edited:

S&CLER

I would be inclined to translate em plena via as "between stations", which is less literal but to my ears more idiomatic English.

XAM2175

Established Member
I would concur that the better alternative unit for metres is feet.

Não use o alarme/freio de emergência, exceto se instruído para tal. Haverá melhor auxílio na próxima estação, do que em plena via!
Refrain from using the alarm/emergency brake unless instructed to. There will be better help at the next station, than along the line!
As @S&CLER says, "between stations" is the closest match here, but it's a bit awkward to use in this sentence. If I were writing it from scratch I'd say something like "stopping the train between stations can make it harder to get help".

I am also a little bit hesitant to endorse a wording that suggests that you need permission to use the emergency alarm; it reminds me a bit too much of the circumstances of the Eschede derailment:
About 130 kilometres (80 mi) and forty minutes away from Hamburg and six kilometres (3.7 mi) south of central Eschede, near Celle, the steel tire on a wheel on the third axle of the first car, fatally weakened by metal fatigue, split and peeled away from the wheel, the momentum of which flattened it and catapulted it upwards, whereby it penetrated the floor of the car, where it then remained embedded.

The tyre embedded in the rail car was seen by Jörg Dittmann, one of the passengers in Coach 1. The tyre went through an armrest in his compartment, between where his wife and son sat. Dittmann took his wife and son out of the damaged coach and went to inform a conductor in the third coach. The conductor, who noticed vibrations in the train, told Dittmann that company policy required him to investigate the circumstances before pulling the emergency brake. The conductor took one minute to go to the site in Coach 1. According to Dittmann, the train had begun to sway from side to side by then. The conductor did not show a willingness to stop the train immediately at that point and wished to investigate the incident more thoroughly. Dittmann could not find an emergency brake in the corridor and had not noticed that there was an emergency brake handle in his own compartment. The crash occurred just when Dittmann was about to show the armrest puncture to the conductor.

duncombec

I'm not qualified to comment on the railway matters, but in general translation terms, I've always been taught that unless there are good reasons for strictly following the original (e.g. if you have two source words that would usually be translated the same, but you have to differentiate between them for whatever reason, or how the wording is understood is the cause of a dispute), then you should always adjust sentences to fit the natural context/idiomatic usage in the target language.
As such, I support both "between stations" for "em plena via", and swapping the sentence elements as @XAM2175 suggests.

As regards the "refrain" clause, how would railway experts feel about "Avoid using the Emergency Brake [option: outside stations] unless instructed by train crew"? Is that still too precautionary?
Otherwise, I can only think of versions that deviate too much from the Portuguese (e.g. "The Emergency Brake does not allow contact with train crew and will stop the train immediately.").

Giugiaro

I am also a little bit hesitant to endorse a wording that suggests that you need permission to use the emergency alarm; it reminds me a bit too much of the circumstances of the Eschede derailment:
There are three considerations I am taking to use this notice:
1 - The Gare de Lyon railway accident of 1988, prompted from an abusive use of the emergency brake;
2 - The fact that prior uses of the emergency brake due to sudden health problems had led the vehicle to become stranded in remote areas, leading to dire consequences to the injured;
3 - The precedents I've found on my State of the Art investigation, particularly the DSB safety manual. Most refer to an Alarm and Emergency Brake separately, and those that have combined alarm/emergency brake advise the passenger to use the alarm to communicate with staff before fully pulling the lever towards emergency braking.

Considering there is no alarm only mode or telecommunication with staff, the use of the emergency valve only has one consequence: full stop of the vehicle.
I'm not qualified to comment on the railway matters, but in general translation terms, I've always been taught that unless there are good reasons for strictly following the original (e.g. if you have two source words that would usually be translated the same, but you have to differentiate between them for whatever reason, or how the wording is understood is the cause of a dispute), then you should always adjust sentences to fit the natural context/idiomatic usage in the target language.
As such, I support both "between stations" for "em plena via", and swapping the sentence elements as @XAM2175 suggests.

As regards the "refrain" clause, how would railway experts feel about "Avoid using the Emergency Brake [option: outside stations] unless instructed by train crew"? Is that still too precautionary?
Otherwise, I can only think of versions that deviate too much from the Portuguese (e.g. "The Emergency Brake does not allow contact with train crew and will stop the train immediately.").

I don't need to have the translation word per word. As long as the same idea can be transmitted clearly, the English translation can look and sound quite different from the Portuguese wording.

Given the feedback, I'd suggest this version:

Em caso de ocorrência muito grave que coloque em perigo a segurança do comboio, puxe pelo manípulo de alarme mais próximo.
Não use o alarme noutras situações, exceto se instruído para tal. Haverá melhor auxílio na próxima estação, do que em plena via!
Estas carruagens não estão equipadas com sistemas de telecomunicação do passageiro para o chefe do comboio/maquinista.

Pull on the closest alarm handle during a very serious occurrence that may compromise the safety of the train.
Don't use the alarm on other situations, unless instructed to. Rescue may find it harder to reach the train between stations!
These coaches are not equipped with telecommunication systems from passenger to condutor/driver.

XAM2175

Established Member
There are three considerations I am taking to use this notice:
Considering there is no alarm only mode or telecommunication with staff, the use of the emergency valve only has one consequence: full stop of the vehicle.
This is fair. The modern convention in Britain is to have a separate notice to the effect of "if you feel ill, don't use the alarm handle. Seek help from staff and leave the train at the next station if possible".

Em caso de ocorrência muito grave que coloque em perigo a segurança do comboio, puxe pelo manípulo de alarme mais próximo.
Não use o alarme noutras situações, exceto se instruído para tal. Haverá melhor auxílio na próxima estação, do que em plena via!
Estas carruagens não estão equipadas com sistemas de telecomunicação do passageiro para o chefe do comboio/maquinista.

Pull on the closest alarm handle during a very serious occurrence that may compromise the safety of the train.
Don't use the alarm on other situations, unless instructed to. Rescue may find it harder to reach the train between stations!
These coaches are not equipped with telecommunication systems from passenger to condutor/driver.
If I might suggest this version instead:
Pull on the closest alarm handle if there is an emergency that affects the safety of the train.
Don't use the alarm in other situations unless instructed to, as it may be harder to get help if the train is stopped between stations.
There are no emergency intercoms in this coach. Look for the conductor if you need assistance.

alxndr

Established Member
This is fair. The modern convention in Britain is to have a separate notice to the effect of "if you feel ill, don't use the alarm handle. Seek help from staff and leave the train at the next station if possible".

If I might suggest this version instead:
Pull on the closest alarm handle if there is an emergency that affects the safety of the train.
Don't use the alarm in other situations unless instructed to, as it may be harder to get help if the train is stopped between stations.
There are no emergency intercoms in this coach. Look for the conductor if you need assistance.
I think this is quite a good solution. I'd probably tweak it slightly though so that it's immediately apparent that the notice is about emergency actions.

In an emergency which affects the safety of the train, pull the nearest alarm handle.
Do not use the alarm in any other circumstance, unless instructed to do so by a member of staff. It may be harder to get assistance if the train is stopped between stations.
There are no emergency intercoms in this coach. Find the conductor if you need assistance.

Giugiaro

For clarification, I may as well post the whole section:

Other considerations

During normal circumstances, if a passenger has a sudden health problem, inform the conductor, as he will have:
- Training to deal with these situations.
- Access to first aid equipment.
- The necessary emergency contacts.

In an evacuation with a rescue operation, follow the instructions:
- From the conductor, when in his presence.
- From the rescue personnel.

In an evacuation conducted before a rescue operation is available, help passengers with reduced mobility. Leave behind wheelchairs and other aiding equipment.

If smoke builds up, crouch down and leave the area. If trapped at the end of the train, break the windows with the glass-breaking hammer to help ventilate the compartment.

Use the gangway doors to move to the next coach, if available, and if necessary.

Don't use the alarm on other situations, unless instructed to. Rescue may find it harder to reach a train stopped between stations!

These coaches are not equipped with telecommunication systems from passenger to conductor/driver.

Last edited:

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I would use 'nearest', not closest.

The text should be as simple as possible with short sentences.
That makes it easier to understand for people whose first language is not English.

It is worth spending some time checking it, getting help. Poorly translated English texts are quite common, try to get it right so the likes of us do not realise it is a translation!

CC 72100

Established Member
For clarification, I may as well post the whole section:

A couple of changes I'd recommend:

Possibly go for a neutral pronoun when referring to the Guard (ie. they).

I'd also change 'rescue' in this sentence "Rescue may find it harder to reach a train stopped between stations!" to 'The emergency services' (if by rescue you are referring to rescue organisations ie. police as opposed to the general concept of rescue)

In "Don't use the alarm on other situations, unless instructed to", the 'on' should become 'in' ("in other situations or perhaps would even be better as 'for' to make 'for other situations').

Agree with a previous suggestion as 'intercom' for sistemas de telecomunicação.

Finally, it may be more natural "These coaches are not equipped with telecommunication systems from passenger to conductor/driver." for the 'conductor/driver' to become 'traincrew'.

Just suggestions - as @LSWR Cavalier says above, definitely important to get this right.

(For context, I work on the UK railway and speak Portuguese)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'm not sure why the "instructed by a member of staff" is necessary here in any language. The member of staff would generally pull the alarm themselves if they considered it necessary, not ask someone else to do it. I'm also nervous about discouraging people pulling the handle between stations, because there are situations when this is the right thing to do such as at Eschede as mentioned.

Without trying to stay faithful to the Portuguese, I suggest something like the following would be the most appropriate instruction:

This train is not fitted with an emergency intercom. If the train is in immediate danger, pull the nearest emergency handle to stop. For other safety matters, help can be available more quickly by speaking to the conductor or pulling the emergency handle when the train reaches the next station.

Devonian

Like others, I would be wary of asking passengers to wait for instructions to use the emergency alarm or judge 'safety'.

You might also consider replacing the word 'alarm' with 'emergency stop' or 'emergency brake', both in the instructions and on the alarm labels, to make its function clearer. For reference, on UK trains where the 'alarm' stops the train immediately, the notices often explicitly say "Pull handle to stop train".

Because the English version may be read by non-Portuguese-speaking tourists for whom English is their preferred second language, I am slightly nervous of referring to 'telecommunications systems' or even 'intercom', which are not basic language: 'emergency telephone' would probably be more widely understood, but it would be awkward to use it here. Suggest referring to its (lack of) function instead: for example, "you cannot speak to any member of staff through the emergency alarm".

Following your text fairly closely (but adding additional advice to remain on the train under normal circumstances, which is usual on British trains), I would alter it to read:

In case of emergency

If a passenger is unwell or needs first aid, you should usually find the conductor, who will have:
- First aid training.
- First aid equipment.
- Emergency contacts.

If there is an emergency but there is no immediate danger, you should stay on the train and wait for instructions from train staff.

If you are in danger, use the gangway doors to move to the next coach if possible.

If there is thick smoke, crouch down or crawl to move to another part of the train. If trapped, break the windows with the emergency hammer to help ventilate the coach.

If you are told to leave the train, follow the instructions:
- From the conductor.
- From the emergency services.

If you have to leave the train before the emergency services arrive, help other passengers with reduced mobility. Leave behind wheelchairs and mobility aids.

Only if there is immediate and serious danger, pull the nearest alarm handle. This will stop the train.
Do not use the alarm unless there is immediate danger, unless instructed by a member of staff. It will be harder to get help if the train is stopped between stations.
You cannot use the emergency alarm to speak to the train staff.

Looking at the whole section all together, might I suggest breaking it down into smaller sections to make the different circumstances clearer? That may help to make it clear when passengers should use the alarm (imminent danger, but you could give examples), and the specific circumstances when it would be dangerous to do so (medical emergency). And since the first action in most cases is "find the conductor", I'd put that at the top. Here is a very free adaptation:

If you need help
If you need to get help you should usually find the conductor.

Only if there is immediate danger, such as a fire, you may need to pull the nearest alarm handle. This will stop the train automatically. You cannot speak to any member of train staff by using the emergency alarm. After pulling the alarm handle, you must find the conductor to tell them what happened.

First aid and medical emergencies
If a passenger is unwell or needs first aid, inform the conductor. Do not pull the emergency alarm, because it will make it more difficult to get medical help between stations. The conductor is trained in first aid and has both emergency contacts and first aid equipment.

Evacuation
If there is no immediate danger, you should stay on the train and wait for instructions from train staff.

If you are in immediate danger, go to another coach using the gangway doors if possible, and crouch down or crawl if there is smoke. If you are trapped, break the windows with the emergency hammers to help ventilate the coach.

If you are told to leave the train, follow the instructions from the train staff or from the emergency services.

If you need to leave the train before the emergency services arrive, help other passengers with reduced mobility. Leave behind wheelchairs and other mobility aids. Watch out for other moving trains and possible dangers.

the sniper

Established Member
Looking at the whole section all together, might I suggest breaking it down into smaller sections to make the different circumstances clearer? That may help to make it clear when passengers should use the alarm (imminent danger, but you could give examples), and the specific circumstances when it would be dangerous to do so (medical emergency). And since the first action in most cases is "find the conductor", I'd put that at the top. Here is a very free adaptation:

If you need help
If you need to get help you should usually find the conductor.

Only if there is immediate danger, such as a fire, you may need to pull the nearest alarm handle. This will stop the train automatically. You cannot speak to any member of train staff by using the emergency alarm. After pulling the alarm handle, you must find the conductor to tell them what happened.

If a passenger is unwell or needs first aid, inform the conductor. Do not pull the emergency alarm, because it will make it more difficult to get medical help between stations. The conductor is trained in first aid and has both emergency contacts and first aid equipment.

Evacuation
If there is no immediate danger, you should stay on the train and wait for instructions from train staff.

If you are in immediate danger, go to another coach using the gangway doors if possible, and crouch down or crawl if there is smoke. If you are trapped, break the windows with the emergency hammers to help ventilate the coach.

If you are told to leave the train, follow the instructions from the train staff or from the emergency services.

If you need to leave the train before the emergency services arrive, help other passengers with reduced mobility. Leave behind wheelchairs and other mobility aids. Watch out for other moving trains and possible dangers.

I think this format and wording works well, particularly with the use of bold. Maybe the bit I've highlighted in red should instead be, 'In an emergency which affects the safety of the train, pull the nearest alarm handle', as mentioned above though.

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
I think this format and wording works well, particularly with the use of bold. Maybe the bit I've highlighted in red should instead be, 'In an emergency which affects the safety of the train, pull the nearest alarm handle', as mentioned above though.
Agreed - drifting a little further from the original text has made it read much more naturally.

duncombec

It's generally common (I hesitate to use 'standard', as it is increasingly untrue the smaller or more regional the language) in translation for people to translate into their native language precisely so they pick up on idiomatic usage.

The OP has a significant task on the desk, and credit is due both for the attempt, but also for realising the product will only be improved by asking questions in this sort of forum. It's not quite clear to me whether it is a "pure" translation (i.e. the source text is fixed, and only translation is being sought), or whether the OP is both simultaneously writing the Portuguese and the other languages, and can thus adapt the Portuguese as a result of things the forum picks up on, but hopefully it will all come together to form the best quality product in each of the languages in question.

Giugiaro

Thank you everyone!

I'm not even sure what I'm doing @duncombec , eheheh. Alongside doing the text in both European Portuguese, European Castilian and British English, I retroactively adjust both three languages depending on the feedback I get.

It's a monumental task, because I'm also working on the graphical design of the signage along the way.
But I hope that, by doing so, I can get both three texts to sound as natural and easy to understand as possible.
(That is, until Latin-American and Anglo-American people show up on the train.)

Obviously, all of these texts still need to be verified and certified by other bodies withing the railway company, so all this hard work can very well be for nothing as far as I know.
Or worse: be forced to drop all the Spanish translations and have to replace them with French!!!

Hello!

@Devonian @edwin_m @the sniper The full text is as follows:

1641906587073.png

I'll be putting this for review tomorrow. If you'd like to have a few revisions to parse some redundancies, I'd be very grateful.
By the end of the day I'll be reviewing the Portuguese and Spanish text, and send a copy of the text to my superiors before the meeting tomorrow.

Hope my proposals follow through. At least we should step up to a level equal to that of the Arcos in their original state.

Last edited:

alxndr

Established Member
Thank you everyone!

I'm not even sure what I'm doing @duncombec , eheheh. Alongside doing the text in both European Portuguese, European Castilian and British English, I retroactively adjust both three languages depending on the feedback I get.

It's a monumental task, because I'm also working on the graphical design of the signage along the way.
But I hope that, by doing so, I can get both three texts to sound as natural and easy to understand as possible.
(That is, until Latin-American and Anglo-American people show up on the train.)

Obviously, all of these texts still need to be verified and certified by other bodies withing the railway company, so all this hard work can very well be for nothing as far as I know.
Or worse: be forced to drop all the Spanish translations and have to replace them with French!!!

Hello!

@Devonian @edwin_m @the sniper The full text is as follows:

View attachment 108567

I'll be putting this for review tomorrow. If you'd like to have a few revisions to parse some redundancies, I'd be very grateful.
By the end of the day I'll be reviewing the Portuguese and Spanish text, and send a copy of the text to my superiors before the meeting tomorrow.

Hope my proposals follow through. At least we should step up to a level equal to that of the Arcos in their original state.
This might be too late to be of any help, but this is how I would write it:
In an accident
  • Hold on tight.
  • Wait until the train comes to a complete stop.
  • It is normally safer to remain on the train. Move to another coach using the internal doors if necessary.
  • If you must leave the train use the external doors. Follow the instructions on the door to open it.
  • Do not jump from the train. Sit on the edge of the step and lower yourself to the ground.
  • If it is not possible to exit through the doors, exit through a window. A glass-breaking hammer can be found [insert location of hammer]. All the windows in this coach are breakable.
[Is it sensible to suggest people sit on the edge of the window, as per your original text? It’s likely to have broken glass on.]

In case of fire
  • Keep calm.
  • Move away from the fire. You may need to move to another coach.
  • If it is difficult to breathe, crouch down or crawl. An emergency hammer may be used to break windows for ventilation.
  • Inform the conductor.
  • If it is safe, use the nearest fire extinguisher to fight the fire. Do not put yourself in danger.
  • If you must leave the train, use the external doors. Follow the instructions on the door to open it.
  • Do not jump from the train. Sit on the edge of the step and lower yourself to the ground.
In the event of evacuation
  • Follow the instructions of train staff and emergency services.
  • Exit on the side away from other lines where possible, and stand away from the track.
  • Remain alert for moving trains, trip hazards, or other dangers.
  • Do not touch or step on any rail.
  • Keep a safe distance from any cables (5 metres / 17 feet).
  • Leave your belongings behind and keep the aisle clear of obstacles.
  • Once out of the train, do not re-enter under any circumstances.
  • Help passengers with reduced mobility. Leave behind wheelchairs and other mobility aids if possible.
If you need help
  • If you need assistance you should usually find the conductor.
  • Only if there is immediate danger, such as sudden damage to the train, pull the nearest alarm handle. This will stop the train automatically.
  • You cannot speak to any member of staff by using the emergency alarm. After using the alarm, you must find the conductor.

If a passenger is unwell or needs first aid, inform the conductor. Do not pull the emergency alarm as it will be more difficult to get help between stations. The conductor is trained in first aid and can arrange for help in the fastest possible manner.

Last edited:

Devonian

This might be too late to be of any help, but this is how I would write it:
In an accident
  • Hold on tight.
  • Wait until the train comes to a complete stop.
  • It is normally safer to remain on the train. Move to another coach using the internal doors if necessary.
  • If you must leave the train use the external doors. Follow the instructions on the door to open it.
  • If it is not possible to exit through the doors, exit through a window. A glass-breaking hammer can be found [insert location of hammer]. All the windows in this coach are breakable.
[Is it sensible to suggest people sit on the edge of the window, as per your original text? It’s likely to have broken glass on.]

In case of fire
  • Keep calm.
  • Move away from the fire. You may need to move to another coach.
  • If it is difficult to breathe, crouch down or crawl. An emergency hammer may be used to break windows for ventilation.
  • Inform the conductor.
  • If it is safe, use the nearest fire extinguisher to fight the fire. Do not put yourself in danger.
In the event of evacuation
  • Follow the instructions of train staff and emergency services.
  • Exit on the side away from other lines where possible, and stand away from the track.
  • Remain alert for moving trains, trip hazards, or other dangers.
  • Do not touch or step on any rail.
  • Keep a safe distance from any cables (5 meters / 17 feet).
  • Leave your belongings behind and keep the aisle clear of obstacles.
  • Once out of the train, do not re-enter under any circumstances.
  • Help passengers with reduced mobility. Leave behind wheelchairs and other mobility aids if possible.
If you need help
  • If you need assistance you should usually find the conductor.
  • Only if there is immediate danger, such as sudden damage to the train, pull the nearest alarm handle. This will stop the train automatically.
  • You cannot speak to any member of staff by using the emergency alarm. After using the alarm, you must find the conductor.

If a passenger is unwell or needs first aid, inform the conductor. Do not pull the emergency alarm as it will be more difficult to get help between stations. The conductor is trained in first aid and can arrange for help in the fastest possible manner.
I was about to hit 'post' on an almost identical reply - but this one is even better so I have abandoned my version!

Small typos: "If you must leave the train, use the external doors" (note comma) and 'meters' should be 'metres'.

alxndr

Established Member
I was about to hit 'post' on an almost identical reply - but this one is even better so I have abandoned my version!

Small typos: "If you must leave the train, use the external doors" (note comma) and 'meters' should be 'metres'.
Thanks, amended them in my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.