• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kevconnor

Sh*t, sh*t and more Sh*t. Oh Manchester is............... Only kidding. I'm a scouser and felt culturally encouraged to type rubbish. Is Manchester built on Cotton? I remember during my time in the Antipodes seeing shops saying they sold real Manchester meaning Cotton goods. I'm going with King Cotton.

On both counts incorrect sorry. I'll save the obligatory scouse jokes for the joke forum.

kevconnor

It isn't sewers sorry no, I'll provide the answer and declare open floor as the answers aren't coming close at the moment and I cant think of any other clues without give the answer. Manchester is build on Manchester, or to be more accurate the part of Manchester around Victoria and exchange station going around the cathedral and around the river Irwell are sited where much of Manchester built up over saxon and medieval time. This area was on a slant down towards the river and was recorded as regularly flooding. The victorian solution to this was, similar to the embankment in London (hence the Joseph Bazalgette connection), was to build over it and build up the embankments, which can still be seen today around this area. There are some small signs of it still however such as an old wooden bridge over the river irk buried under Victoria but which I am told is still used as a service bridge and hanging ditch bridge next to the cathedral which was excavated 10 years ago.

So Open Floor

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ah... so even my latest guess of "water" ( which came to me when a comment about Strasbourg's history was made in the canal journeys programme on Channel 4 tonight and which I just came onto here to post ) wouldn't have been accurate!

I note the open floor, however, and I will pose this question:

What is the name of the prominent watercolour artist, famous for books, TV appearances and YouTube tutorials, who lives in Northumberland?

martinsh

Established Member
Could be that "jury's out". martinsh is knowledgeable about Latvia -- maybe he'll offer an opinion?

It's nice to be recognised as an expert on something !

In this case though I agree with Wikipedia. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Latvia )
Historically blood red, technically carmin red. I would describe it as crimson or burgundy. Maroon is more of a browny shade, and it's definitely not purple !

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Well, I've asked Mr W Pedia for his views on this, using "Northumberland based artist" ... and I've never heard of any of the ones he suggests, so I can't make a guess based on this!

fowler9

Established Member
Well, I've asked Mr W Pedia for his views on this, using "Northumberland based artist" ... and I've never heard of any of the ones he suggests, so I can't make a guess based on this!
Strictly speaking looking up the answer would mean you aren't having a guess. :)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Strictly speaking looking up the answer would mean you aren't having a guess. :)

Oh, I agree, which is another reason for me not guessing. Having failed with Gerald Scarfe, I wondered whether I could find the answer but, as I said, none of them mean anything to me, so I'm not going to use any of them. It'll be interesting to see whether I have heard of the person when it's revealed!

Calthrop

Established Member
It's nice to be recognised as an expert on something !

In this case though I agree with Wikipedia. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Latvia )
Historically blood red, technically carmin red. I would describe it as crimson or burgundy. Maroon is more of a browny shade, and it's definitely not purple !

Thanks for thoughts, and link. My impression is that most usually, flags' colours are the simple basic middle-of-the-road version of the colour; "flag red", in the great majority of cases, is standard average scarlet-y red. More subtle variations of red, as in Latvia's flag, are uncommon -- but I'm now persuaded anyway that re the Latvian banner, purple it ain't.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
You are correct... it is not he!

Quite honestly I am very surprised that nobody has got this; presumably not a lot of people on here pay much attention to artists?

If it's not answered by tomorrow evening I will reveal the solution.