• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Harbouring

Those three -- all on the Isle of Wight -- are, I think: Fort Victoria (this one is the country park); Fort Albert; and The Needles Old Battery.
I think you might be right actually, the ones I'm thinking of are a bit more focused on the inland areas. Goes to show how many old things there are on the south coast

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Those three -- all on the Isle of Wight -- are, I think: Fort Victoria (this one is the country park); Fort Albert; and The Needles Old Battery.

Yes, that's it, all correct. ( Harbouring... I said western Solent; Calshot and Cowes are quite a way further along... )

You are now manning the garrison, Calthrop.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thank you, sir.

What is the only kind of insect -- and only certain varieties of same, at that; and the whole matter is subject to some disagreement among the authorities thereon -- which is considered as kosher (permitted eating for folk of the Orthodox Jewish persuasion)?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
What is the only kind of insect -- and only certain varieties of same, at that; and the whole matter is subject to some disagreement among the authorities thereon -- which is considered as kosher (permitted eating for folk of the Orthodox Jewish persuasion)?

It's connected with the "Manna from heaven" that descended on the Israelites when they were starving, isn't it?

I've seen that it's thought to be a kosher form of locust, but my source says that this isn't totally accepted by everyone.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
It is locust.

Leviticus 11: 21 There are, however, some flying insects that walk on all fours that you may eat: those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground. 22 Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper.

And John the Baptist himself ate locusts, as an example from the New Testament.

Calthrop

Established Member
Locusts it is -- only certain kinds, I gather; and there's uncertainty about how the Biblical categorisation, fits in with modern taxonomy. Also some authorities opine that locusts are OK only for communities which have a tradition from way back, of eating them... but you've got the sort of insect, to rights. (I wasn't aware of the Manna-from-heaven connection, but I'm no scriptural scholar.)

Yours to put forward the next theological point for discussion, o Sage of EbbwJunction...

Calthrop

Established Member
Strat-tastic: your post appeared while I was typing out mine just above. EbbwJunction1 got the key "locust", so the floor goes to him; thanks to you, though, for Biblical gen.

Calthrop

Established Member
The highest land battle in history is estimated to have taken place at 22,000 ft, where was it, when was it and who were the belligerent forces?

I suppose it wasn't any part of the conflict (not a declared war) between India and China in parts of the eastern and western Himalayas, in late 1962? (I rather doubt it -- per my understanding, that business was a matter of fairly small skirmishes and stand-offs, without anything really deserving of the name of "battle".)

Calthrop

Established Member
Clutching at straws -- Alexander the Great in his push eastward in the 300s BC, in the western-Himalayas area: him against the then ruler of those parts, who was not willing to knuckle under tamely, to Alex??

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
22,000 feet... wouldn't have been the Spanish Conquistadors against the Incas or whoever it was in South America would it?

kevconnor

It was, possibly doesn't help to narrow it down much considering they fight every other weekend. But it was one fought in 1984 in Kashmir province (as these things always are) on top of the Siachen Glacier. Permanent stations are now maintained by both sides on their respective sides of the disputed zone. It's got to be a bum deal being the squaddie who ends up being posted to that rocky outcrop.

DaleCooper I hope you are ready for active service as the floor is yours.