• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
At least you're giving varied suggestions. ;)
Right Krus. I’m in the pub now and I’ll give it one more go now that I’m drinking this performance enhancing pint.
Politicians? (I’m pretty sure it isn’t)

krus_aragon

Established Member
Right Krus. I’m in the pub now and I’ll give it one more go now that I’m drinking this performance enhancing pint.
Politicians? (I’m pretty sure it isn’t)
Performance-enhancing it is. You're warmer on this guess than any of the others...

krus_aragon

Established Member
Members of the House of Commons / House of Lords? Delete either or both as appropriate!
Bingo!
Until 1998, a Member of Parliament could request that the house sit in private by pointing to the (public) Strangers' Gallery and shouting "I spy strangers". It was usually used as a time-wasting mechanism (as the house would then vote whether to sit in private or not), and was one of the many things swept away in modernisation reforms at the beginning of Tony Blair and New Labour's time in government.

I give way to my honourable friend...

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thank you, sir .... although this wasn't the thing that I had in mind, as I thought that it was still in force (although rarely done).

Anyway, here's a couple of "On This Day" questions for you:
1. The birthday of a future Prime Minister of the UK in 1804
2. The first performance of this play in the Royal Theatre, Copenhagen in 1879
3. The first instance of a type of quiz on this day in 1913
4. The death of a Second World War American General in 1945.

Best of luck!

Calthrop

Established Member
"On this day" (2) -- I've Googled it, so feel I can't answer directly: but dare I go so far as to say, the play was by another Scandinavian...?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
1. Benjamin Disraeli.
4. Gen George S. Patton.

Quite correct, well done.

"On this day" (2) -- I've Googled it, so feel I can't answer directly: but dare I go so far as to say, the play was by another Scandinavian...?

You are correct in what you say. To be honest, if you want to give the answer, I would have no objection to you doing so; thanks.

CarltonA leads the field at the moment, so he can think of a question if he wishes to.

Marton

You did ask for a single word

HMB Endeavour was Captain James Cook’s barque on his first trip.

Commander Scott commanded Apollo XV; Endavour was the moon landing craft used

Endeavour is Morse’s forename.

CarltonA

You did ask for a single word

HMB Endeavour was Captain James Cook’s barque on his first trip.

Commander Scott commanded Apollo XV; Endavour was the moon landing craft used

Endeavour is Morse’s forename.

Almost spot on, well done. The lunar module on Apollo 15 was Falcon (another Scott association there) it was the command module which was Endeavour, the capsule is on display in Dayton, Ohio. The Americans used the British spelling in honor (sic) of HMS Endeavour and indeed again for the space shuttle of the same name. Over to you Marton.

Marton

What is the proper name of an antiseptic and sealant which literally means before the city.

Who make it and what do they use?