• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
I wouldn't worry; I think we all needed the entertainment after a long weekend!:smile:

I'm sure everyone would be happy for you to try again with a fresh question, in the circumstances.
Mate I will pass and go for a long lie down. Ha ha. I have a lie in tomorrow. So embarrassed. Ha ha.

fowler9

Established Member
Brilliant mate. I laughed so hard it hurt. :lol:
Ah mate. I asked the chaps on my what's app group today. Came on here and thought "I'm on my game here, I'll get them thinking". Ha ha. You can stick this on the "What made me smile today" thread. Ha ha. If you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at. I'm laughing now, ha ha. Really am going to bed though, not up till ten.

fowler9

Established Member
That's why I asked, I was assuming it was a joke as it was just the question just above! I agree with @Peter Mugridge it would be a good idea to let you have another go!
Ah mate that is really kind of you folks but have just finished another late shift. Ha ha. Open floor. I have a day off tomorrow so will hopefully be refreshed. My word what a mistake to make. Ha ha.

fowler9

Established Member
Well... as it's an open floor, I can't help but ask:

Which TV sitcom character had a catchphrase very similar to that? Bonus point for naming the actor as well.
Allo Allo, Captain Bertorelli. Can't remember the actors name. Blimey, takes me back. Ha ha.

fowler9

Established Member
Ha ha. Cool. In European football which player has scored goals on two different days in the same game.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
That was Eden Hazard of Chelsea in the Europa League Final last Wednesday, wasn't it?

I think that I read somewhere that the match started on Wednesday night but finished on Thursday morning, both local time!

I'll declare an open mostly empty stadium if it's right.

fowler9

Established Member
That was Eden Hazard of Chelsea in the Europa League Final last Wednesday, wasn't it?

I think that I read somewhere that the match started on Wednesday night but finished on Thursday morning, both local time!

I'm going to VAR with this one.

fowler9

Established Member

Nah, the game went over two days but Hazard scored both of his goals in the same day. VAR has spoken.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
That was Eden Hazard of Chelsea in the Europa League Final last Wednesday, wasn't it? I think that I read somewhere that the match started on Wednesday night but finished on Thursday morning, both local time! I'll declare an open mostly empty stadium if it's right.

I'm going to VAR with this one.

Nah, the game went over two days but Hazard scored both of his goals in the same day. VAR has spoken.

Ah, fine, I think that it was a press report that gave me the answer, so I should have known that they might be wrong!

krus_aragon

Established Member
Ah... an open floor!

What does "Dallas" have in common with the D-Day landings?
By sheer weight of numbers, I'm sure that someone with the initials J.R. was shot on D-Day. ;)

As for the U.S.S. Dallas, it seems she was convoying ships to North Africa in 1944, so she'd have had very little to do with the Normandy landings.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That's not the correct answer - but with your first sentence you have however stumbled into a direction which will very swiftly lead to the right answer... thought it may be one of the older members who makes the connection...

krus_aragon

Established Member
That's not the correct answer - but with your first sentence you have however stumbled into a direction which will very swiftly lead to the right answer... thought it may be one of the older members who makes the connection...
Well that was unexpected. o_O

J.R. looks like he'd have been too young to be involved in military service in the 1940s. Was there an older member of the family who's backstory involved fighting in Europe?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
You're still thinking along the right lines, but getting colder.

My lunch break is over, but I'll try to look in later. Here's a hint: Keep working along the JR angle...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Right... it looks like I'll be busier than expected so might not be able to get back on until later, so @krus_aragon I'll hand you the floor now.

The answer - which is fairly obscure but obvious once you know what you're looking for - is as follows:

Larry Hagman, who later played JR in Dallas, was in the film "The Eagle has Landed", the plot of which revolved around protecting Churchill - or more accurately Churchill's double - from an attack while he ( the real Churchill ) was on the way to the Tehran Conference, at which the general plan for what developed to become Operation Overlord, better known as D-Day, was agreed.

( Ironically Hagman's character got shot in the film, which is where you were unknowingly fairly close earlier... )

krus_aragon

Established Member
Well, I certainly wouldn't have been able to make that connection! but thank you for the floor. :)

Next up:

Earlier today, there has been a very big party at the intersection of two particular streets. This place is not in the UK, but both of these streets were named for British MPs who represented the (now defunct) constituencies of Honiton and Midlothian. What is the occasion that was being celebrated?

(This question is a little cryptic, so feel free to research it, make an educated guess, or try a stab in the dark!)

DerekC

Established Member
Well, I reckon the party is the one in Toronto to celebrate the victory of the Raptors in the NBA championship. (Especially sweet for Canadians to stuff a US team in an American championship, of course!) It seems to have been centred at Yonge Street and Dundas Street. Yonge was an MP for Honiton, but so far I haven't been able to trace the Dundas name to Midlothian, so maybe I have got that bit wrong.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Well, I reckon the party is the one in Toronto to celebrate the victory of the Raptors in the NBA championship. (Especially sweet for Canadians to stuff a US team in an American championship, of course!) It seems to have been centred at Yonge Street and Dundas Street. Yonge was an MP for Honiton, but so far I haven't been able to trace the Dundas name to Midlothian, so maybe I have got that bit wrong.
That's right. Dundas Square, at Yonge and Dundas, tends to be the focus point for such events in Toronto:

D9AixA1W4AAm1a5.jpg

The Dundas in question was Henry Dundas, Britain's first ever Secretrary of State for War, and later Viscount Melville.

Your (very well-populated) floor.

DerekC

Established Member
Ok. I spent a bit of time in Toronto so Yonge rang a bell, then it so happened that a Canadian friend was telling me about the Raptors last week, so it wasn't too hard.

What do the letters TFU have to do with the National Trust property of Croome? Hint: it's a WWII question.

Calthrop

Established Member
And here was I thinking that Croome was in County Limerick, on the Patrick's Well -- Charleville line :oops: ...

DerekC

Established Member
Maybe I should rephrase the question, if that's allowed!

What important development which influenced the course of WWII was associated with the letters TFU and the National Trust property of Croome?

d9009alycidon

TFU = Telecommunications Flying Unit that operated form RAF Defford which is now in the grounds of the National Trust property at Croome. The TFU was instrumental in developing Radar as a surface and air to air interception system