• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Sorry, guys -- it marks his turning 111 years old. I was posting in haste -- should have put "111th". Though there's various by-play in the book about it being his eleventy-first birthday, on which he's eleventy-one years old (hobbits sometimes talk funny).

@Calthrop - What about a hot steam balloon?

It's something much simpler -- people keep going up weird and wild blind alleys. @DaleCooper is closest yet, with "steam engine" -- one of those, but of what kind? -- and part of the performing of what function (enabling fast passenger travel). One of the top favourite things which are discussed on these forums...

Calthrop

Established Member
Still going too far afield ! I'm reckoning on giving things till 12 noon; then, I feel, "putting-out-of-misery time".

Calthrop

Established Member
Still going too far afield ! I'm reckoning on giving things till 12 noon; then, I feel, "putting-out-of-misery time".

As said -- my sentiments are, it's best to end everyone's pain.

The "bit from Chapter 1": Gandalf is doing fireworks for Bilbo's party. The spectacular end-piece is a firework-simulated red-golden fiery flying dragon, which "whizzes over the heads of the crowd"; then "The dragon passed by like an express train, turned a somersault, and burst over Bywater with a deafening explosion." As said upthread: @DaleCooper, you were closest with "steam engine": I was just hoping for slightly greater precision -- specifying steam railway locomotive -- better still, "[express] passenger train, steam-hauled". It seemed to me on the obvious side, once we'd got on to steam power; but what seems obvious to the setter, may well not be so to anyone else :oops: .

Here, near the start of The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien is still writing somewhat in the talking-down-to-kids mode of The Hobbit; as LotR progresses, things become altogether more heroic / serious / archaic. Since JRRT disliked railways -- as he did the Industrial Revolution and everything that proceeded from it -- I still suspect that if in his editing he'd spotted this "express train" reference, he'd have "killed" it.

Dale, with you having got nearest the mark: the floor's yours.

Wuffle

Dale Cooper
Are you drinking Fire water? Did you Walk to the pub? If so who With? It certainly wasn't Me.

Or Dorothy Vallens ?

Firewalk with me ?

DaleCooper

Established Member
Dale Cooper
Are you drinking Fire water? Did you Walk to the pub? If so who With? It certainly wasn't Me.

Or Dorothy Vallens ?

Firewalk with me ?

Full title is "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me" but you're near enough therefore - your turn...

...and welcome to the forum (it's a bit like "Another Place").

Wuffle

Thanks both - would you believe I only joined to find out about seat layouts and suddenly found so much more - but that's another story

Q - Wet planet, dry planet and the girl power was his sister

fowler9

Established Member
Ahhhhh! Fire Walk With Me!!!! Why haven't I looked at this thread for days!!!! Oh yeah, late shift. Gutted, so easy.

krus_aragon

Established Member
(Dredges memory of reading Dune a little over a decade ago...)

Are you after one of Clan Atreides(sp)? The son, who is the main protagonist?