• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
My complete guess is the olive oil based spread called Bertolli (up market - strictly speaking non-dairy) and that Bertolli was an Italian musician - but if so I don't know anything about him/her.

Calthrop

Established Member
Mr. Dooper -- Foonerland is spun, but thadly, I don't sink it existually acts.

Sure it does, it's in Wisconsin! ;)

Try as I might to be absurd reality always goes one better.

"Things get madder all the time" -- have just Googled Spooner, Wisconsin -- it even has a (diesel) heritage rail operation which includes fine-dining trains and "rail-borne bed-and-breakfast" -- opinions on Trip Advisor vary, pretty much, between "splendid" and "abysmal".

(About the supermarket product, I haven't the slightest idea.)

krus_aragon

Established Member
My complete guess is the olive oil based spread called Bertolli (up market - strictly speaking non-dairy) and that Bertolli was an Italian musician - but if so I don't know anything about him/her.
If Bertolli was musical, it's news to me. Not the answer I'm looking for, sorry.

The connection is visible on the product's packaging.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Out of interest turns out I was right. Wikipedia says:
Interesting to read, but I'm looking for a link with a musical instrument other than the voice.

Incidentally, rather than an Italian connection, there is instead a Danish connection (like the previous question).

DaleCooper

Established Member
After some in-depth research into Danish musical history I now know the answer. I'll keep shtum for a while and see if someone else can find it.

DerekC

Established Member
Well, after some in-store research at our local Waitrose I think the answer must be Lurpak. It's Danish and it does have two trumpety things on the pack as a logo - but I am afraid that without resorting to Mr Google I am not going to get any further.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Well, after some in-store research at our local Waitrose I think the answer must be Lurpak. It's Danish and it does have two trumpety things on the pack as a logo - but I am afraid that without resorting to Mr Google I am not going to get any further.
Your research has served you well! The two trumpety things are Scandinavian musical instruments called lurs, which date back to the bronze age. The butter is named after the instruments!

(Some readers may recall a series of Lurpak adverts that included a character trying to play a trombone at every opportunity.)

DerekC, as DaleCooper held their tongue, the floor is yours...

Calthrop

Established Member
Something to do with Denmark's ownership of Greenland (which place Trump was recently expressing a fancy for)?

DerekC

Established Member
Became open to women.

That's right. King Frederik IX had three daughters and in 1953 the constitution was changed (after a referendum) to allow a woman to succeed. Queen Margrethe II came to the throne in 1972 and is still there. I wondered how she could be the second Margrethe, and it turns out that the men-only rule wasn't put in place until the 1850s!

Your floor.

Marton

91E2F0F5-D00B-4BB5-898F-6F5D7F8815E2.jpeg Thank you. Guessing can work

I hope a picture question is OK.

What is name of the attached plant?

if possible also give some information about it’s significance.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Ah, botany: my achilles' heel!

I've little chance of getting anywhere with the name, so I'll try the significance angle first. Is this plant considered to be an invasive species?

Marton

It is considered as such.

My own view is that When not in the wrong place it’s not a problem.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Is it Japanese Knotweed?

It's very invasive and takes a lot of time and money to remove, if that's what you're looking for.

Marton

No. Much less of an issue

Hint. The invasive problem is principally in
riperian sites.

DerekC

Established Member
Himalayan Balsam, I think - there is lots of it in West Dorset, amongst other places. It is quite pretty, but it shades out the native species very rapidly.

Marton

Correct. Himalayan Balsam.

Hated by many, loved by beekeepers as it is a great source of nectar.

Your floor