• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Who said this, about whom, when and what were the circumstances which prompted the comment?

"I can forgive XXXXX for inventing XXXXXXXX, but only a fiend in human form could have invented the XXXXX XXXXX"

DaleCooper

Established Member
Here's my wild guess:

"I can forgive Baird for inventing television, but only a fiend in human form could have invented the soap opera." Malcolm Muggeridge on seeing Crossroads.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Here's my wild guess: "I can forgive Baird for inventing television, but only a fiend in human form could have invented the soap opera." Malcolm Muggeridge on seeing Crossroads.

Sadly, that isn't the correct answer, but I must say that it's probably better than the real one!

DaleCooper

Established Member
Can I have two more guesses?

"I can forgive the Norwegians for inventing the duvet but only a fiend in human form could have invented the duvet cover. " Me when trying to make the bed.

"I can forgive Bell for inventing the telephone but only a fiend in human form could have invented the call centre. " Anyone listening to on hold music.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Can I have two more guesses?

"I can forgive the Norwegians for inventing the duvet but only a fiend in human form could have invented the duvet cover. " Me when trying to make the bed.

"I can forgive Bell for inventing the telephone but only a fiend in human form could have invented the call centre. " Anyone listening to on hold music.

Both good, but not quite right …. sorry!

This George Bernard Shaw. Nobel. Dynamite. Nobel Prize.

Yes, mostly correct, with the addition of the circumstances, which were when GBS refused the prize of £7,000 awarded to him in 1925 on 18th November 1926.

Your awards ceremony, sir!

Calthrop

Established Member
Kurt Vonnegut (or at any rate, these are themes from fiction works of his). Open floor if correct.

Calthrop

Established Member
They are the Bishop Rock, Wolf Rock, and Bell Rock: tiny islets off the British Isles, each one the location of a lighthouse. Bishop Rock and Wolf Rock are off the Isles of Scilly; Bell (alias Inchcape) Rock is in the North Sea, a little way off Arbroath.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks.

Which kids'-comic strip-cartoon characters live(d) in the following locations?

Ennytown

Cactusville

the jungle

Calthrop

Established Member
Cactusville (looked in the strip, like mid-20th-century Dundee plus lots of cacti) was indeed Desperate Dan's home town. One down, two to go.

Calthrop

Established Member
The strip I'm thinking of: not a Tarzan parody, and not featuring any George. The one involved here, was set in the jungles of Africa as opposed to elsewhere; it was basically a send-up of relatively-normal "British Empire in outlandish places" pre-1960s stuff -- no wild-fantasy element.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The third one is the person whose sidekick owned "Clicky Ba" …. I won't say the answer yet, because I've looked it up!

Calthrop

Established Member
The third one is the person whose sidekick owned "Clicky Ba" …. I won't say the answer yet, because I've looked it up!

I beg to differ. Clicky Ba, its owner, and his boss, were a different thing altogether from the character and strip, which I have in mind. Essentially "Clicky & Co." did their stuff on a different continent, from the jungle-dweller of whom I'm thinking; and the comic's chronicling of their doings, was "straight" serious thrilling-action-heroics plus a bit of comedy -- the illustrations were drawn realistically. My mock-"hero" plus associates, were truly cartoon-drawn characters, in whose goofy childish-humour comical escapades nobody suffered any actual lasting bodily harm.

Wasn't Ennytown the home of Dennis the Menace?

It was the home of, not Dennis (unruly but basically non-evil kid); but of a whole fellowship of such, name of which was the name of the strip.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I beg to differ. Clicky Ba, its owner, and his boss, were a different thing altogether from the character and strip, which I have in mind. Essentially "Clicky & Co." did their stuff on a different continent, from the jungle-dweller of whom I'm thinking; and the comic's chronicling of their doings, was "straight" serious thrilling-action-heroics plus a bit of comedy -- the illustrations were drawn realistically. My mock-"hero" plus associates, were truly cartoon-drawn characters, in whose goofy childish-humour comical escapades nobody suffered any actual lasting bodily harm.

Ah, okay, that's a new one on me (whatever it is!), then - thanks!