• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaleCooper

Established Member
I'm going to give you half the answer, see if you can fill in the rest.

Three of the four members of Hedgehoppers Anonymous were in the RAF, stationed at RAF Wittering. If you know what RAF Wittering's function was in the mid sixties you should be able to tell whence came the name.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Well, I've already done this, but it's left me a little confused, because I'm not sure what you want!

RAF Wittering was the base of the V-Bomber Force in the 1950s and 1960s, when the squadrons who were based there flew the Vickers Valiant, the Handley Page Victor and the Avro Vulcan. I always thought that they were high-level bombers, which they were at the beginning, but then they became very low-level bombers - and a "Hedgehopper" is the RAF nickname for very low level flying.

In addition, the first verse of the song contains the lines
"It's good news week
Someone's dropped a bomb somewhere
Contaminating atmosphere
And blackening the sky"
which is reference to nuclear weapons, which were carried by the V-bombers.

I suppose, therefore, that this rather long winded piece (sorry!) is a way of saying that the group took the "Hedgehoppers" part of their name (Jonathan King added the "Anonymous" apparently) from their day job … how am I doing?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I think that you're in the right street ^ … it was traffic lights, and they were installed in Westminster to help MPs get to the Palace of Westminster!

Your seat of government, sir!

^ two can play at that game!

Marton

OK. Here goes

Which was the only British Dominion to give up self rule in favour of becoming a Colony?

What happened next?

DaleCooper

Established Member
OK. Here goes

Which was the only British Dominion to give up self rule in favour of becoming a Colony?

What happened next?

I wasn't sure of the definition of dominion so I looked it up and what I believe is the answer sort of fell in my lap. I'll keep quiet.

Marton

Was it Newfoundland? If so what happened next would be becoming part of Canada.
Yes. Newfoundland became part of Canada on 31 March 1949.

In the first referendum it first rejected an option for economic union with the USA but there was no absolute majority between the other options.

A second referendum gave the options again of a Dominion of the UK or Confederation with Canada. Canadian confederation won 51:49.

Your floor