• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

xotGD

Established Member
Still no guesses? Another clue: The character was a politician.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
Can't be that many political comedies around. I'll guess that thing with Alan B'stard in it - can't remember what it was called though!
No not The New Statesman.

Big clue: The central character was called Malcolm Tucker.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Next question:

Give the modern equivalents of the following Latin placenames:

• Aquae Sulis
  • Eboracum
  • Deva (or Deva Victrix)
  • Vectis
  • Isca (or Isca Silurium)

Marton

Thank you

On the same theme.

Whst links Isca Dumnumiorum and Lindum Colonia and why dies it have it’s English name?

Calthrop

Established Member
The Roman road route known as the Fosse Way; between Isca D. (don't know its modern name, but it's somewhere around the Cotswolds) and Lincoln. Name Fosse Way -- at a guess, archaic English word "fosse", from Latin "fossa" (ditch or trench): Romans dug cuttings to accommodate the road for a lot of the distance covered?

Marton

That’s a good start.

Lincoln is correct as is Fosse Way as it relates to a ditch but not the reason for the name as it isn’t a ditch for the road.

The southern end is much further south. I think I should give people chance for

the southern place.

why this road is associated with a ditch.

Spamcan81

Isca Dumnumiorum is Exeter. Ditches were used as boundary markers so was Fosse Way once a boundary between two kingdoms?
I must confess that I didn't know Fosse Way went all the way to Exeter. Like a previous poster I thought it started in the Cotswolds, namely at Cirencester/Corinium. Every day's a school day as they say.

Marton

Isca Dumnumiorum is Exeter. Ditches were used as boundary markers so was Fosse Way once a boundary between two kingdoms?
I must confess that I didn't know Fosse Way went all the way to Exeter. Like a previous poster I thought it started in the Cotswolds, namely at Cirencester/Corinium. Every day's a school day as they say.
Spot on. The ditch was the boundary of the Roman territory for a while. Then filled in and made into a road.

In the end it’s @Spamcan81 who takes to the Quiz Road.

xotGD

Established Member
Was the ground commandeered as a depot for steam lorries during WW1?