• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
You are indeed right with the Christian name (and all lady crime novelists are hereby eliminated). Can anyone come up with the surname? Any resulting duel-to-the-death over who succeeds to the floor, would presumably not furnish material for a "whodunnit" <D .

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
It's Peter Lovesey. I was going to suggest him a few days ago, but was put off by one of his characters being London based rather than West Sussex - but maybe I'm thinking of the wrong character?

Anyway, if it's correct, I'll declare an Open Day at 221b Baker Street.

Calthrop

Established Member
It's Peter Lovesey. I was going to suggest him a few days ago, but was put off by one of his characters being London based rather than West Sussex - but maybe I'm thinking of the wrong character?

Anyway, if it's correct, I'll declare an Open Day at 221b Baker Street.

Peter Lovesey it is, indeed. His Bath police central character, Detective Superintendent Peter Diamond, is "under a cloud" for a spell, causing him to move for a while to London; but in time he returns to Bath, and goes from strength to strength there. One of Lovesey's earlier series, set in Victorian times (not the Prince of Wales one): main character here, Sergeant Cribb -- is London-located. His West Sussex bod, is senior detective Henrietta Mallin -- a physically small but formidable lady.

Open floor, "as per".

Calthrop

Established Member
A week has gone by -- it's "open floor"; I have another with which I could afflict people -- or, anyone else fancy a go?

xotGD

Established Member
OK - I've got one: What is the second highest mountain in the UK?

Calthrop

Established Member
The blindest of guesses; but as I seem to have got it:

Who made a return journey to the nation's governmental centre and commercial hub, including an audience with the realm's supreme potentate (distaff side); engaging during same, in sub-cathedral rodent-intimidation?

DerekC

Established Member
Not sure of the name of the feline but is it "Pussy-cat pussy-cat" as in "I've been up to London to visit the Queen"? I recall a climax to the story involving a rodent and a piece of furniture, viz, "I frightened a little mouse under her chair" = cathedra (Latin) (I think). It would be an interesting variation on the story if it did involve Larry.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Not sure of the name of the feline but is it "Pussy-cat pussy-cat" as in "I've been up to London to visit the Queen"? I recall a climax to the story involving a rodent and a piece of furniture, viz, "I frightened a little mouse under her chair" = cathedra (Latin) (I think). It would be an interesting variation on the story if it did involve Larry.

You've got it absolutely right -- in the rhyme, no given name for the animal hero(ine); just the generic "pussy-cat". I was slightly stretching things language-wise, with "sub-cathedral": per the OED, "cathedral" as an adjective, means pertaining to a chair of office or authority (a cathedral-type church, is where the relevant bishop has his throne) -- but it's the Queen's furniture item, after all... ("cathedra" in Latin means, I believe, just "chair", as per yours above).

At all events -- it's your floor !

Puss in Boots?

Afraid not -- see DerekC's answer, above.

krus_aragon

Established Member
("cathedra" in Latin means, I believe, just "chair", as per yours above).
Similarly, the Welsh for "cathedral" is " cadeirlan", which is obviously derived from the word "cadair" (chair), as well as the "llan" (church) found in so many place names.

Calthrop

Established Member
Similarly, the Welsh for "cathedral" is " cadeirlan", which is obviously derived from the word "cadair" (chair), as well as the "llan" (church) found in so many place names.

Am I right in thinking that more than a tiny number of words in Welsh, are Latin-derived? The Welsh for "window" is -- is it not -- "ffenestr" (I may not have the spelling quite right) -- from latin "fenestra"? (Most Western European languages derive their word for that particular thing, from Latin "fenestra" -- even in German, it's "Fenster" -- the English have to be weird and go for "window".)

krus_aragon

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that more than a tiny number of words in Welsh, are Latin-derived?
Yes, definitely. The major non-Celtic influences on the Brythonic/Welsh language were Latin, then French, and most recently English.

(I have a copy of an old university textbook for learning Latin through the medium of Welsh. The author postulated (and I agree) that for a Welsh speaker, learning Latin through the medium of English was a very roundabout way of doing it, considering the links between Welsh and Latin.)

Spamcan81

Am I right in thinking that more than a tiny number of words in Welsh, are Latin-derived? The Welsh for "window" is -- is it not -- "ffenestr" (I may not have the spelling quite right) -- from latin "fenestra"? (Most Western European languages derive their word for that particular thing, from Latin "fenestra" -- even in German, it's "Fenster" -- the English have to be weird and go for "window".)
Welsh has two words for bridge, pont and bont. No doubt both derived from the Latin pons.

DerekC

Established Member
OK - interesting stuff.

The Great Tea Race was run in 1866 between Shanghai and Gravesend by the fastest clipper ships of the day. What was the fastest time (to the nearest day)?