• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thank you … this is I think, a little easier - but possibly only if you know your subject!

Three English Counties have never won the County Championship in any of it's formats - who are they, please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marton

Thank you … this is I think, a little easier - but possibly only if you know your subject!

Three English Counties have never won the County Championship in any of it's formats - who are they, please?
Gloucestershire
Northamptonshire
Somerset

Yorkshire, of course, have won it more times than anyone. It used to be twice as many as the next one (Surrey) but I think it’s not quite that now.

Marton

Change of tack

In the first recorded use of chemical weapons

Who used the weapon
When
What was the weapon

MotCO

Established Member
I'm thinking that it is not an obvious answer. I'll stick my neck out and say the ancient Greeks.

Marton

Of the feathered kind eaten at Thanksgiving and Christmas?

No, but the usual bird used then is the modern name of the country of which one part is the source of the name of one of the war leaders And the species which is the source of the chemical.

Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
No, but the usual bird used then is the modern name of the country of which one part is the source of the name of one of the war leaders And the species which is the source of the chemical.

I presume the country is Turkey, the leader is Ataturk, and the only species of turkey I know is Waitrose Bronze!

Marton

A bit more help.

Turkey is the country now. The part I’m thinking of has a more ancient name, although I believe there was a Plan for it to be independent after WWI as it was Greek based not Turkish.

The species is a plant which is now widespread in GB and often considered an invasive species / pest such as in snowdonia.

341o2

Established Member
Would that be "Mad Honey" which has been produced by bees feeding off rhodedendron nectar

Calthrop

Established Member
I was kind-of aware that ancient Pontus was in what is now Turkey; and that it had a king called Mithridates, who tried to render himself immune to being poisoned by taking, over a long period, small quantities of arsenic (very metaphorical kind of chemical warfare?). Google tells me that the area was the north-eastern corner of modern Turkey, and that the arsenic guy was Mithridates VI, who reigned roughly 100 years B.C. But this would seem to be very different chemical-related stuff, from that which the question is about !

Marton

It was indeed Mithtidates but against Pompey's soldiers who reportedly suffered lethal casualties following the consumption of honey made from Rhododendron deliberately left behind by Pontic forces in 67 BC during the Third Mithridatic War. Later, it was recognized that honey resulting from these plants has a slightly hallucinogenic and laxative effect.[

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I'll take the open floor with this question:

How did a supply of tea from T.E. Stockwell influence the largest grocery retailer in the UK?