• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

perryman

Ok. Can I plump for England, Uruguay and Spain - 1966, 1932 and 2014?

Given I'm looking for country and year as one, then you have one answer right. Three more combinations of country and year needed please.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

perryman

No. 1990 was West Germany/Argentina, with Germany winning 1-0. Part of the answer is kind of in the original clue: three teams...

MotCO

Established Member
No. 1990 was West Germany/Argentina, with Germany winning 1-0. Part of the answer is kind of in the original clue: three teams...

I've only got 3 teams - England, Spain and Uruguay. I assue these are the right teams, all I've got to do is find the years, and I've got 1966, 2010 and 1930 respectively. Am I right in thinking I just need to find another year for Spain, maybe 1994?

perryman

I've only got 3 teams - England, Spain and Uruguay. I assue these are the right teams, all I've got to do is find the years, and I've got 1966, 2010 and 1930 respectively. Am I right in thinking I just need to find another year for Spain, maybe 1994?

Yes, you are looking for another year for one of the teams - it's not Spain/1994 (Brazil 0-0 Italy, dour, Brazil winning on penalties).

SteveM70

Established Member
There are four, albeit the fourth is a little bit pedantic

Uruguay (1930 and 1950)

England (1966)

Spain (2010)

Germany (2014)

MotCO

Established Member

Uruguay (1930 and 1950)

England (1966)

Spain (2010)

Germany (2014)

But Germany were losing finalists in 1966 - surely you remember that. ;) Or are you distinguishing between West Germany and Germany?

perryman

Uruguay (1930 and 1950)

England (1966)

Spain (2010)

Germany (2014)

Indeed. The original question did make reference to any unified/broken country be treated as one, e.g. Germany/West Germany, so they don't count.

MotCO

Established Member
Thanks - perserverence paid off :lol:.

Moving from Sport to Economics. What contributes around 8 - 10% of the Gross National Income of Tuvalu, the independent island nation in the South Pacific within the British Commonwealth?

Trackman

Established Member
It is indeed. The domain name is .tv, used by many companies who advertise on television. Your turn to be Chief Economist.

wow! I've heard of a different island that makes tons of cash through its domain name, name escapes me.

Question (slightly topical and I read about this yesterday):
Which 80's hit British kids cartoon show was originally broadcasted in Welsh on the insistence of its creator before it was dubbed to English and the credits in Welsh changed (I think this was only the first series).
Even before the cartoon series was made Warner bros offered £250k for the film rights.

perryman

wow! I've heard of a different island that makes tons of cash through its domain name, name escapes me.

I know that Colombia (.co) and Montenegro (.me) allow non-local businesses to purchase their domain suffixes as they are seen to be marketable generically, worldwide. For a fee, of course.