• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I can't sing for toffee so no worries there!

What were introduced as an experiment in Norwich in 1959 ?

Calthrop

Established Member
Thank you !

General-knowledge question with something of a rail flavour: --

In which -- in a broad sense -- work of imaginative art, by whom: is it decreed that perpetrators of vandalism on railway property, should travel by rail -- if at all -- from Stockport to Stalybridge, say, in highly rugged conditions? ("Bonus points" for naming the character in the work, who ordains that this is to happen.)

Jimbob52

Thank you !

General-knowledge question with something of a rail flavour: --

In which -- in a broad sense -- work of imaginative art, by whom: is it decreed that perpetrators of vandalism on railway property, should travel by rail -- if at all -- from Stockport to Stalybridge, say, in highly rugged conditions? ("Bonus points" for naming the character in the work, who ordains that this is to happen.)

Could this be

‘The idiot who, in railway carriages, scribbles on window panes,

We only suffer to ride on a buffer in Parliamentary trains’

as sung by the Mikado in the operetta of the same name by Gilbert and Sullivan?

Jimbob52

Thank you.

How well do you know your US Presidents? For full marks, please name:
  • The President who was ambidextrous. It was said he could write with both hands simultaneously.
  • The President who filed a patent for increasing the buoyancy of boats.
  • The only President to have a PhD.
For a bonus, which President was reputed to have become stuck in a White House bathtub (though the story doesn’t hold water)?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Thank you.

How well do you know your US Presidents? For full marks, please name:
  • The President who was ambidextrous. It was said he could write with both hands simultaneously.
  • The President who filed a patent for increasing the buoyancy of boats.
  • The only President to have a PhD.
For a bonus, which President was reputed to have become stuck in a White House bathtub (though the story doesn’t hold water)?
That is quite easy as they are a passion of mine

Swung both left and right -- Mr James Garfield
Patent --- That would be Honest ABE aka Abraham Lincoln
and Dr Woodrow Wilson

Jimbob52

I had a feeling Gralistair would know the answers!

President Taft was reputed to have got stuck in the bathtub.

Gralistair, the Presidential Chain of Office is yours.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Hopefully this is an easy one for you. It is related to Fleet Street. What was the name of the columnist who wrote for the Express Group who made frequent trips home (and wrote about it ) to Auchtermuchty (and I know wear the fox hat ) ?

MotCO

Established Member
B----y H--- that was quick and the correct answer. Fleet Street is yours.

I somehow dredged that up from the back of my memory. I used to like reading his column in the Sunday Express.

Where was Marble Arch originally located, and what function did it have when it was moved to its present site?

xotGD

Established Member
I somehow dredged that up from the back of my memory. I used to like reading his column in the Sunday Express.

Where was Marble Arch originally located, and what function did it have when it was moved to its present site?
Don't know where it was previously, but wasn't it a site for public executions?

Trackman

Established Member
Don't know where it was previously, but wasn't it a site for public executions?
Yes Tyburn Tree is nearby to the left of it I think (which actually wasn't a tree)
They moved executions to Newgate as posh neighbours got upset about the hangings.

I should know the answer, I think it's something to do with Queen Victoria.
I think it was on the Mall.
Function? Some sort of gateway

SteveM70

Established Member

No idea where it was originally located, but a guess at the other half. I know it was designed by John Nash, and he was active in the early 19th century, so perhaps a memorial to the dead of and/or a celebration of the victory in the Napoleonic Wars?

MotCO

Established Member
No idea where it was originally located, but a guess at the other half. I know it was designed by John Nash, and he was active in the early 19th century, so perhaps a memorial to the dead of and/or a celebration of the victory in the Napoleonic Wars?

Sorry, not a memorial.

Jimbob52

I think it was originally designed to be an entrance to Buckingham Palace, possibly before The Mall was laid out.

On its current site it was used as a police station.

MotCO

Established Member
I think it was originally designed to be an entrance to Buckingham Palace, possibly before The Mall was laid out.

On its current site it was used as a police station.

Correct on both counts. Please take the floor.

Jimbob52

Thank you.

Most pop songs in the ‘sixties had a standard format of two verses, a chorus and a third verse but there was one that had a unique structure.
A mega hit, it was an operatic ballad with seven seamless movements, none of which is repeated. Two decades later it was used in a dark thriller film.

What is the song and who wrote and performed it?