• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
Correct. He married Elizabeth Woodville who was the daughter of Jacquetta of Bedford but born elsewhere.

your turn in the crown room

Thank you.

Sticking with a royal theme, there are four royal families who live at Kensington Palace (according to the Royal.UK website.) Who are they?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Well officially I assume The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge TRHs William and Catherine.
I assume although Charles and Camilla sleep elsewhere that would be an official residence for them.
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh would have the right of abode there.
Edward and Sophiae?

Jona26

Princess Eugenie and her husband, Duke and Duchess of Kent, Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

I think there may actually be 1 more couple but not sure.

MotCO

Established Member
A lot of answers there!

Well officially I assume The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge TRHs William and Catherine.
I assume although Charles and Camilla sleep elsewhere that would be an official residence for them.
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh would have the right of abode there.

Edward and Sophiae?

Only the Cambridges live there; the others don't.

Princess Eugenie and her husband, Duke and Duchess of Kent, Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Princess Eugenie and husband live there according to some sources, but a) they are not royal, and b) they are not included in the Royal.uk list.

Duke and Duchess of Kent, and Duke and Duchess of Gloucester are right; GRAlistair beat you to it for the Cambridges.

I'm fairly sure Prince and Princess Michael of Kent moved there after selling their own house a few years ago.

Correct.

Jona26 got most correct, so I'll hand the keys to the Palace to you.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Continuing the motoring theme, in which country was a speed in excess of 100 miles per hour first achieved driving a motor car, and a bonus point for the year in which this took place.

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm going to make an out-of-left-field guess and suggest -- Russia? (I gather that in some ways, Tsarist Russia was a freewheeling sort of place: people could do stuff there, which they couldn't have dreamed of further west.)

Calthrop

Established Member
France? -- early in the road-motor field generally... (If we name enough countries, in the end someone will get lucky :smile: .)

MotCO

Established Member
If I recall, the old 3 litre Bentleys of the 1930s could achieve 100 mph, so the question really is where was there a decent smooth surface to achieve such a speed in the 1930s. Aside from race-tracks, the Bolivian salt flats could fit the bill.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
France? -- early in the road-motor field generally... (If we name enough countries, in the end someone will get lucky :smile: .)
Indeed, but not France, although this was the country where the first 100 kph motor car speed was achieved.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If I recall, the old 3 litre Bentleys of the 1930s could achieve 100 mph, so the question really is where was there a decent smooth surface to achieve such a speed in the 1930s. Aside from race-tracks, the Bolivian salt flats could fit the bill.
Not Bolivia, and not the right decade either.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Belgium is the correct answer.

First achieved in 1904 on the beach at Ostend, apparently.

Frenchman Louis Rigolly was the driver.

(100 kph was first achieved in 1899 by Belgian Camille Jenatzy at a location near Paris).

SteveM70, you are first past the chequered flag.

Last edited: