• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Welshman

Established Member
No, but some posters have got near it. :)

The answer as I understand it is that when electric light was introduced to theatres, the stage was simply lit by a central candelabra, and to ensure their faces were illuminated by the central candelabra the actors leaned slightly backwards, so the light showed their faces rather than the top of their heads.

Open floor.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Gilbert. They make rugby balls, its the government building in Port Stanley and I think some docs about the raising of the Mary Rose were done by a Gilbert.

deltic1989

Established Member
All a pointless waste of money in the 80s... ;)

Gilbert. They make rugby balls, its the government building in Port Stanley and I think some docs about the raising of the Mary Rose were done by a Gilbert.

Sorry I have been a bit slow to come back to this one I had forgotten about it.
None of the answers is what I am looking for I'm afraid.

w0033944

If I might...
...based on the question about the leaning actors, why did racing cars in old action shots appear to have misshapen wheels, like this?

lartique.car.jpg

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Because the shutter speed was so slow that the top of the image was exposed after the bottom. The only reason it was captured at all was due to the camera panning round quickly.

deltic1989

Established Member
Ah a nautical question I have this covered (I think).

A ship can carry a boat, but a boat can't carry a ship.

deltic1989

Established Member
Thank you.

Staying with the nautical theme.
If you asked me the time and I replied "4 Bells in the Forenoon" what time is it?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
In ten pin bowling, on a standard ten goes game, what is the maximum possible score if one were to achieve a strike on every go?