• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Not that one either, unfortunately. My first clue in the reply to the first posting. gave an idea of the date.

My second clue is to state that the event that I have in mind was an event involving conflict.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Another clue confirms the date as 878AD.

Last edited:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
King Tarannon Falastur of Gondor told Queen Beruthiel and her moggies to sling their hooks? (No canon date is as yet known for this undoubted highlight in the history of the Numenorean Realms in Exile, but 878TA is a reasonable possibility).

Alternatively, were Roland and Oliver doing their bit for France-Moorish relations at the Pass Of Roncevalles?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Not that one also....878AD must have been a very busy year, by the looks of things.

Don't forget the fact that I referred to the ancient Hundred of Whorswellsdown in Wiltshire when I first set this conundrum.
Days have elapsed with no correct answer, so I will publish the answer....

In 878AD, in the battle of Etandun, (situated near to the settlement of Edington in Wiltshire that is in the ancient Hundred of Whoreswellsdown), Aelfred the Great defeated the Danes who were ready to take over more territory in a westward direction.

The result of this battle was that the Danes were forced back into the East Anglian area and were never again to make further westward expansion moves.

I hereby declare....OPEN FLOOR

Last edited:

dzug2

How old - at least - are Pip, Squeak, Wilfred and King George. And where are (and were) they?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the middle of the 5th century, a battle was fought where a coalition of both the Romans and the Visigoths fought against the Huns and was the last battle in the Western Roman empire where Visigoth soldiers formed the core of the Roman army.

Which Roman general commanded the coalition forces and what was the name of the battle (it is known by three different names..any will do in the answer) and who were the victors of the battle ?

Golghar

This must be the battle of Châlons-sur-Marne. I'm pretty sure the Huns were defeated but I'd have to look up the name of the Roman general in command.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
This must be the battle of Châlons-sur-Marne. I'm pretty sure the Huns were defeated but I'd have to look up the name of the Roman general in command.

Well done...most correct. The other two names given to the battle was the Battle of Maurica and the Battle of the Catalaunian Plains.

The date was 451AD and both sides had similar men in the field of battle and the Roman general was Flavius Aetius. The victory stopped the Huns' attempt to conquer Roman Gaul.

Heinz57

Its been a while since the last post on this quiz. I'm going to keep it going with the following...

What bird was tapping on your chamber door?

Heinz57

Correct!

Shall we let Paul Sidorczuk set the next one? He was also ready to answer correctly but was pipped by Darren who has declared open floor.

Buttsy

Established Member
Which all-girl, 7 piece UK band were formed in 1979, disbanded in 1981, had one top 30 hit in 1980 (went to number 22) and never released an album?
The hit song was 'People Do Rock Steady'

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Who was the 13th century Turkic/Mongol monk, who became a diplomat and a member of the Nestorian Christian faith, who tried to make a pilgrimage from Mongol-controlled China to Jerusalem, but stopped short in Mongol-controlled Baghdad, where he became the Nestorian Patriarch.

Welshman

Established Member
OK - you've tempted me out of my convalescence!!

I think it was Yoalaha III, who could get no further on his pilgrimage because of fighting, and succeeded to the Patriarchate in1281, and remained in that post until 1318.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
OK - you've tempted me out of my convalescence!!

I think it was Yoalaha III, who could get no further on his pilgrimage because of fighting, and succeeded to the Patriarchate in1281, and remained in that post until 1318.

Sorry to have been away for most of Saturday after mid-morning. Welcome back....:D

You are quite correct..I would also have accepted his name as being that of Rabban Bar Sauma

Over to you to set the next one.

Welshman

Established Member
Thank you for your welcome :D

OK -

Which contemporary composer of light orchestral works was born and educated in Rossendale, and became a chorister at Manchester Cathedral when he was 9 years old?