• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A Challenge

Established Member
Although, reading the Wikipedia, I wasn't far off with my guess of geometric series, I shall declare OPEN FLOOR as I don't feel I've earned that, given you effectively gave me the answer.

341o2

Established Member
Did Tare become tango, Jig Juliet, Mike unaltered, Roger became Romeo and Dog Delta
Military alphabet used in radio communications

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
No, not them either.

Here's a clue: They all played a significant part in one of the most important parts of the Second World War.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Components of a Mulberry harbour?

I was going to say … "No, but you'd have found a Mulberry Harbour near to two of these" … but I won't, because …..

They were sub-divisions of the d-day beaches

SteveM70 is correct - well done.

Each of the five main beaches were sub-divided into three or four parts, all of which were given a name. "Tare" was part of Utah, "Mike" Juno, "Jig" Gold, "Roger" Sword and "Dog" was part of Omaha.

Your successful invasion of Europe, sir.

DaleCooper

Established Member
OK

Which record links Elvis Presley and The Wedding Present?

I was going to say White Wedding by Billy Idol because his style was based partly on Elvis but then I discovered that he actually performed it in a duet with Lise Marie Presley (she also starred in the inimitable Naked Gun films).

SteveM70

Established Member
I was going to say White Wedding by Billy Idol because his style was based partly on Elvis but then I discovered that he actually performed it in a duet with Lise Marie Presley (she also starred in the inimitable Naked Gun films).

I’d be fibbing if I said that was close

341o2

Established Member
It was Priscilla Presley that played the part of Drebin's girlfriend Jane in the Naked Gun films

SteveM70

Established Member
Time for a little clue......the “record” is an achievement, not a single/album

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I think the WP had some ridiculous number of hits in a row in the 90's - probably matched Elvis though I'm surprised the Beatles aren't ahead of either?

SteveM70

Established Member
I think the WP had some ridiculous number of hits in a row in the 90's - probably matched Elvis though I'm surprised the Beatles aren't ahead of either?

That’s close enough for me. They share the record for the highest number of new records in the top 40 in a calendar year, with 12.

Elvis did it in the 50s when artists were generally much more prolific; TWP did it in 1992 by releasing a limited edition single on the first Monday of each month. Each had an original A side and a cover version on the B side, and it’s fair to say they were an eclectic mix....the theme from Shaft, Falling (the song from Twin Peaks), Step Into Christmas etc etc. All 24 songs were released as albums, the Hit Parade 1 and 2.

The word new is necessary to exclude Michael Jackson who had more hits just after he died but obviously re-releases.

So, the floor is yours......

theageofthetra

On Moderation
That’s close enough for me. They share the record for the highest number of new records in the top 40 in a calendar year, with 12.

Elvis did it in the 50s when artists were generally much more prolific; TWP did it in 1992 by releasing a limited edition single on the first Monday of each month. Each had an original A side and a cover version on the B side, and it’s fair to say they were an eclectic mix....the theme from Shaft, Falling (the song from Twin Peaks), Step Into Christmas etc etc. All 24 songs were released as albums, the Hit Parade 1 and 2.

The word new is necessary to exclude Michael Jackson who had more hits just after he died but obviously re-releases.

So, the floor is yours......
Sorry didn't see this - open floor.

Calthrop

Established Member
Which prolific and much-liked novelist writes on, chiefly, crime and mystery ("whodunnit") themes: and has had many fiction works published, including "stand-alones", and several series featuring respectively, the same characters? Said novelist would seem at present to be concentrating concurrently on two series -- featuring the murder-inquiry detective squads of the police in Bath; and ditto, in a location in West Sussex (and has the two, occasionally, overlapping slightly). Please name this author.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint (perhaps) -- one of this author's earlier series (a short one), set in late-ish Victorian times, featured as the solver of crimes: of all unlikely figures, the then Prince of Wales and future Edward VII.

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm afraid not -- despite his series of thrillers starring a railway-oriented detective. (I've just taken a Google look re Marston -- dear Lord ! he's prolific, with a vengeance.) My question-subject bod does not seem to have any particular interest in railways -- one of their recent mysteries, though, is set among the railway-enthusiast community; including some gentle poking of fun at our oddities, and tendency toward obsession.

Calthrop

Established Member
Nope: subject of the question is -- though at a pretty advanced age -- still with us, and writing busily.