• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

xotGD

Established Member
Neither of these, sorry. I think that it's only one question, really … "What happened on these days?" I've used this before several times without any problems.
No worries, I'll go with the flow.

Q4 Greece 1935

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
No worries, I'll go with the flow. Q4 Greece 1935
Not Greece, sorry, but you're not too far away in terms of geography. If it helps, the year was 1946.

The zoo one was Teddy Kennedy and one of his brothers, so I’ll guess JFK
You're right with Teddy, but not with John, because ...

And I will guess RFK
It was Robert!

That's three out of four, and the leaders in the clubhouse are:
Gralistair 1.5
MotCo 1
SteveM70 0.5

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I want to say Hungary but don't know what stretch of water you mean. I am sure they were pressured to become a Republic under pressure from their masters at the time The Soviet Union.

Sorry for the delay in replying, but MotCo is correct. Italy abolished it's Monarchy on 2nd June 1946 and became a republic.

MotCo .. you have two correct answers, so it's your floor - well done!

MotCO

Established Member
Which country uses the tune of God Save Our Queen as the tune for their national anthem, but (for clarity) the words are different? Bonus points for naming the composer.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Which country uses the tune of God Save Our Queen as the tune for their national anthem, but (for clarity) the words are different? Bonus points for naming the composer.
Trick question as there are two countries I can think of. Norway is definitely one of them. Even the USA has one but I think they just call it America or something similar and I think there is at least one more country. An obscure one such as Andorra or Luxembourg or Lichtenstein ?

MotCO

Established Member
Trick question as there are two countries I can think of. Norway is definitely one of them. Even the USA has one but I think they just call it America or something similar and I think there is at least one more country. An obscure one such as Andorra or Luxembourg or Lichtenstein ?

How many guesses do you want? :lol:

Norway is not one of them, as this link will testify:
, although I accept that it is sometimes stated that Norway has the same tune. You may or may not be right with one of your guesses - do you want to pick one?

341o2

Established Member
Samuel Francis Smith "My Country' tis of thee" America as mentioned by Flanders & Swann in the introduction to their song of patriotic prejudice

SteveM70

Established Member
Liechtenstein has the same time as us. Always gets a mention when we play them at football. My hazy recollection of an early 80s music lesson with the fearsome Mr Barnes, who loved nothing more than launching a board rubber at pupils’ heads, is that nobody’s quite sure who wrote it but Purcell is a strong suspect

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Liechtenstein has the same time as us. Always gets a mention when we play them at football. My hazy recollection of an early 80s music lesson with the fearsome Mr Barnes, who loved nothing more than launching a board rubber at pupils’ heads, is that nobody’s quite sure who wrote it but Purcell is a strong suspect
I think you maybe correct on this one.

MotCO

Established Member

We all remember a Mr Barnes :lol:.

Liechenstein is correct, and you are right about the composer - a bit of a trick question. According to Encyclopædia Britannica "The origin of both the words and the music is obscure. The many candidates for authorship include John Bull (c. 1562–1628), Thomas Ravenscroft (c. 1583–c. 1633), Henry Purcell (c. 1639–95), and Henry Carey (c. 1687–1743)."

You're now in charge of the board rubber!

MotCO

Established Member
Somewhere at the back of my mind suggests that a coffin may be part of a guitar, maybe a bridge across strings or something, so are all three connected to a stringed instrument? Maybe nightclub = Cavern = the empty chamber on a stringed instrument?