• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
Let's try this...

What is Oryctolagus cuniculus better known as?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Not precise here but I remember from primary school because I was precocious and already had scientific bent
Rununculus bulbosis - field buttercup family and
Oryctolagus cuniculus - bunny rabbit - not sure what sub species though.

xotGD

Established Member
Not precise here but I remember from primary school because I was precocious and already had scientific bent
Rununculus bulbosis - field buttercup family and
Oryctolagus cuniculus - bunny rabbit - not sure what sub species though.
Yes, it's a rabbit. European rabbit, to be precise.

Your turn to raid Mr McGregor's garden...

MotCO

Established Member
What's the connection between a camshaft, an Si unit named after a famous scientist and New England?

The letter 'N'? N for Newton, N is the first character of New England short code and is there an N camshaft? Unless they are all 'NE'.

Jimbob52

In which case, I suggest the connection is:

The SI unit is the newton, named after Sir Isaac Newton, a fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge.

Trinity College backs onto the River Cam, on which you can boat, or more accurately ‘punt’, propelling the boat by means of a long wooden pole, aka a 'Cam shaft'

The 'New England Patriots' (American football team) have a player called Cameron (Cam) Newton.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
In which case, I suggest the connection is:

The SI unit is the newton, named after Sir Isaac Newton, a fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge.

Trinity College backs onto the River Cam, on which you can boat, or more accurately ‘punt’, propelling the boat by means of a long wooden pole, aka a 'Cam shaft'

The 'New England Patriots' (American football team) have a player called Cameron (Cam) Newton.
But this is good - either of you deserve the end zone

Jimbob52

Shortest tenure of post as an MP?

You are correct.

He was killed in a car accident while driving home from the declaration of the election result in Smethwick, Staffordshire on 26 July 1945. Attempting to avoid a child, his car collided with a military vehicle in Doncaster and he was killed instantly. The accident occurred on 27th July (presumably in the early hours) and so he served as an MP for just one day.

Other MPs have passed away between nomination and election day and have been elected posthumously; and in 1906 Thomas Higgins died after the poll closed but before the result was declared.

MotCO, the floor is yours.

MotCO

Established Member
Which museum is located on the site of the former Bethlem Hospital?

MotCO

Established Member
Imperial War Museum

Correct. When the Bethlem Hospital moved to Beckenham in 1930, the wings of the building were pulled down, and the central part became the Imperial War Museum in 1936.

(As an aside, 'Bedlam' was derived from 'Bethlem'.)

Your turn to be curator.