• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

xotGD

Established Member
Staying below sea level, Mponeng Gold Mine is the world's deepest mine. According to its Wikipedia page, to the nearest 250 metres how deep below ground level does it go?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
Thank you. Sticking with deepest points, where is the deepest point in England (hint: it is a lake)

Calthrop

Established Member
Ah -- seem to recall very bad one in Alaska; affecting Anchorage, the capital -- 1960s-ish?

Calthrop

Established Member
@GRALISTAIR -- thanks. My floor, I take it.

Who told in the first person, for laughs; of travels by various modes, in England and Germany, for variously recreational and religious ends?

Calthrop

Established Member
Jerome K Jerome

Three men in a boat, and

Three men on the Bummel

Regards

Ian

You've got the "question person", well and truly. The "religious" element is to do with a third book (existence of which I'd forgotten for many years -- reminded of it by chance the other day): Diary of a Pilgrimage, falling time-wise between Boat, and Bummel (cycling in the Black Forest) -- both of those involving Jerome and his pals George and Harris. Pilgrimage is about a journey -- with a different chum, as sole companion -- by rail, from England to Oberammergau to see the 1891 Passion Play.

Anyway, you've furnished the desired name -- your floor.

Ian Smeeton

My floor.

Where to go.... what do do....?

Just drinking some Lancaster Bomber,now brewed by Marstons.

But who brewed it originally, and who did it pass to when they closed their brewery?

Regards & good drinking.

Ian

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Let’s keep it on beer and breweries but with a twist of railway.

In the 1980s and earlier I loved going to the New Forest at Brockenhurst. 200 meters or less to the east of the station there was/is a level crossing and 50 meters from this was a pub with a beer garden. Great place for drinking beer and watching trains. What sadly defunct Brewery ran this or whose beer was served there and which brewery took them over or bought the assets of this defunct brewery?