• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
May I take the floor? In the UK, there are 8 Royal Boroughs. Please name them, and identify the earliest and latest boroughs so designated.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
May I take the floor? In the UK, there are 8 Royal Boroughs. Please name them, and identify the earliest and latest boroughs so designated.

Kensington and Chelsea
Greenwich
Windsor (the oldest?)
Leamington Spa
Tunbridge Wells
Wootton Bassett (the newest)

No idea of the others

MotCO

Established Member
Kensington and Chelsea
Greenwich
Windsor (the oldest?)
Leamington Spa
Tunbridge Wells

No idea of the others
Kensington and Chelsea
Greenwich
Windsor (the oldest?)
Leamington Spa
Tunbridge Wells

No idea of the others

6 correct answers, but the oldest and newest are incorrect. Windsor is actually Windsor & Maidenhead.

Romsey

The Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames.
(As an aside they used to register all their road vehicles on Portsmouth to obtain RBK registrations!)
Royal because it includes Hampton Court Palace.

MotCO

Established Member
(As an aside they used to register all their road vehicles on Portsmouth to obtain RBK registrations!)

Right town, wrong reason.

MotCO

Established Member
Deeside, given that's where Balmoral is?

No, not Balmoral. The full list is:

Greenwich

Kensington & Chelsea

Kingston-upon-Thames

Caernarfon

Windsor and Maidenhead

Leamington Spa

Tunbridge Wells

Wootton Bassett

Please identify the first and last teams designated.

AndyPJG

Hampton Court Palace is in the London Borough of Richmond; RBK is 'Royal' due to coronations being held many moons ago. The Coronation Stone being next to the Guildhall over the river Hogsmill. (I used to work for RBK)

MotCO

Established Member
Wootton Bassett is not a royal borough. It is a town that has been granted a Royal prefix (ditto Leamington Spa and Tunbridge Wells).

I tend to agree with you about Wootton Bassett and Leamington Spa insofar I don't think that they are actualy boroughs in their own right. Tunbridge Wells is a borough, but the borough name is not usually prefixed by Royal, although the town is definitely Royal. Conversely, Kingston is a London borough, but no-one ever refers to the town as Royal Kingston, only the borough, so there is some confusion and inconsistency.

MotCO

Established Member
Hampton Court Palace is in the London Borough of Richmond; RBK is 'Royal' due to coronations being held many moons ago. The Coronation Stone being next to the Guildhall over the river Hogsmill. (I used to work for RBK)

I never realised Hampton Court was in LB Richmond. You're right about Kingston being Royal due to its coronations, and as such it was the first Royal borough back in 925. The most recent is Greenwich in 2012.

The full list is:

Kingston-upon-Thames 925

Leamington Spa 1838

Tunbridge Wells 1909

Kensington & Chelsea 1965

Caernarfon 1974

Windsor and Maidenhead 1998

Wootton Bassett 2011

Greenwich 2012

Since SteveM70 got most right, can I ask him to take the floor.

SteveM70

Established Member
Jamie Vardy recently scored his 100th premier league goal.

1 - how many players have now reached that landmark

2 - name the players that have reached that landmark with all the goals scored for the same team

MotCO

Established Member
Jamie Vardy recently scored his 100th premier league goal.

1 - how many players have now reached that landmark

2 - name the players that have reached that landmark with all the goals scored for the same team

I can think of at least 24 players, (or 25 if you include Vardy!) and for part 2:

Henry, Bergkamp, Solskjaer, Van Nistelrooy, Zola, Vardy, Giggs, Drogba

perryman

I can think of at least 24 players, (or 25 if you include Vardy!) and for part 2:

Solksjaer, Zola and Bergkamp are definitely not in the group. Kane (scored all for Tottenham), Sheringham, Robbie Keane, Defoe, Van Persie, Andy Cole, Lampard, Wright, Yorke, Aguero (same team), and somehow Darren Bent are.

SteveM70

Established Member
Point of clarification on the second part - it’s probably better phrased as “players who have reached that landmark and scored all their premier league goals for one team” ie excluding the likes of Shearer who has over 100 for both Blackburn and Newcastle

SteveM70

Established Member

Not a million miles out with part 1, and 5 correct for part 2 (the other 3 you mention didn’t score 100 premier league goals)

SteveM70

Established Member
I think this has run its course, so the answers are below and I’ll declare open floor

There are 29 players who’ve scored 100+ premier league goals, of whom 9 have scored them all for one club:

Thierry Henry
Sergio Aguero
Harry Kane *
Didier Drogba
Steven Gerrard
Ryan Giggs
Paul Scholes
Matthew Le Tissier
Jamie Vardy

* played 3 games for Norwich but didn’t score any goals

Jimbob52

An easy question while someone thinks of something more challenging:

Which 1960s pop record had a melody based on a folk song about a Cossack leader who led an uprising against tsarist bureaucracy?

At its peak, the record was selling 93,000 copies a day.

MotCO

Established Member
I'd have said Rasputin by Boney M, but I don't think it was in the 60's.