• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

perryman

The start (or finish, depending on your perspective) of the M1 and M4 (other roads are available)?

MotCO

Established Member
Maybe time for a clue (which may or may not help :s). The original metres were designated in October 1973, and the change took place in March 1975.

MotCO

Established Member
No, not EU related.

Maybe time for another clue. The metres I am referring to, you don't usually see.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No, not EU related.

Maybe time for another clue. The metres I am referring to, you don't usually see.
I was thinking that it was an underwater boundary of some sort but I’ve no idea what.
Is it something to do with the England/Wales border in the Severn Estuary?

MotCO

Established Member
Is it to with the fact the earth is not a sphere but an oblate spheroid so was the latitude and longitude lines of the earth adjusted even though Greenwich stayed the same?

Ooh! Nothing so complicated!

MotCO

Established Member
I was thinking that it was an underwater boundary of some sort but I’ve no idea what.
Is it something to do with the England/Wales border in the Severn Estuary?

No, nothing to do with any boundaries, nor indeed anything to do with water.

MotCO

Established Member
Another clue. In 1973, it was in Lots Road. In 1975, it was moved to Saffron Green.

MotCO

Established Member
Total guesswork now - a school was moved that had a famous former pupil?

No, the actual answer does not refer to a building, or a boundary. More lateral thinking is required. What, apart from distance, is measured in metres?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Lots Road. Wasn't that a power station that fed the London Underground. Guessing that it a use for the power station that isn't necessarily power generation!

MotCO

Established Member
Lots Road. Wasn't that a power station that fed the London Underground. Guessing that it a use for the power station that isn't necessarily power generation!

Yes, Lots Road was the LU power station, but I suspect it was only used because they could attach an aerial to the tower(s). THe answer does not relate to power generation, nor LU.

SteveM70

Established Member
They were transmission wavelengths, but not these two stations. Think about what was happening to the industry in 1973 and the next few years.

Some commercial radio station or other. Was LBC a thing back then?