• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

SteveM70

Established Member
(My bolding) -- in fact, the four stations are all LNER: Kings Cross, Liverpool Street, Fenchurch Street, and Marylebone. (I've always felt that one for each of the Big Four, would have been far more appropriate !) My understanding is that Waddingtons Games, who in the 1930s launched the (originally US-devised) game in Britain: were based in Leeds, and had in more than one way, links and associations with the LNER; that company therefore, particularly "on their radar".
@SteveM70: (you posted as I was composing this one) -- to do with the Big Four: viz. as above, one particular one thereof.

They were all LNER termini?

That’s right. Calthrop got there first and also has the reason

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
Re question 4, I’ve mistakenly misled you I think.

The two squares that have already been mentioned as bearing signs of the American heritage of the game are free parking and go to jail. The third hasn’t yet been mentioned.

For free parking and go to jail it’s a visual sign, albeit one is quite niche. For the so far unmentioned one, it’s the name and the concept it represents

SteveM70

Established Member
Super Tax? an Americanism at least when the game was new?

Not that. (In the US version that square is Luxury Tax, it seems that when the UK version was created they didn’t want that and chose a fictional tax)

Calthrop

Established Member
Thrashing around a bit now -- was "Electric Company", 90-odd years ago anyway, an American expression / concept, but not a British one?

SteveM70

Established Member
Thrashing around a bit now -- was "Electric Company", 90-odd years ago anyway, an American expression / concept, but not a British one?

Possibly, although from what I’ve read it was also a generalisation in the American version and not specific. So that (and the water works) aren’t in my three

Calthrop

Established Member
"Community Chest" an American-and-not-British thing, back then? (I'm beginning to feel as though in one of those quiz situations where if you work your way through all the nations of the world, you'll get the right one eventually :smile:.)

SteveM70

Established Member
"Community Chest" an American-and-not-British thing, back then? (I'm beginning to feel as though in one of those quiz situations where if you work your way through all the nations of the world, you'll get the right one eventually :smile:.)

Yes! The term community chest refers to a welfare support system during the Great Depression

xotGD

Established Member
Free Parking shows an American car, and the jailer is wearing a US-style uniform.

SteveM70

Established Member
Re 2 - whilst Angel Islington isn’t a thoroughfare (similarly Mayfair), it is though correctly named for what it was at the time. The two I’m looking for are thoroughfares, but they’re mis-named

Mayfair and The Angel, Islington aren't thoroughfares. Would it be that?

It isn’t that. Two of the properties that are thoroughfares are mis-named, ie no road/street exists with the name used in Monopoly

MotCO

Established Member
It isn’t that. Two of the properties that are thoroughfares are mis-named, ie no road/street exists with the name used in Monopoly

Trafalgar Square? Is there actually a road called Trafalgar Square? Ditto Leicester Square?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I've had to look at a board for this, as I can't bear the stress!

I think that the answers are The Angel, Islington (it's a former pub, not a street) and Marlborough Street (there is no actual Marlborough Street in this part of London; the square on the board was mis-named after the Magistrates Court in Great Marlborough Street).

Feel free to disqualify me if I'm right!

SteveM70

Established Member
I've had to look at a board for this, as I can't bear the stress!

I think that the answers are The Angel, Islington (it's a former pub, not a street) and Marlborough Street (there is no actual Marlborough Street in this part of London; the square on the board was mis-named after the Magistrates Court in Great Marlborough Street).

Feel free to disqualify me if I'm right!

Yes, there’s no Marlborough Street. As you say it’s prefixed Great in real life

There’s another street on the board which doesn’t exist, I said previously this question related to existing thoroughfares so excluded Mayfair and Angel

SteveM70

Established Member
No 'Bond Street' as such?

Correct, there’s Old Bond Street and New Bond Street, but no Bond Street

That’s the lot.

I make that four people with 1 point, but Calthrop and xotGD with 2 each, so I’d invite them to throw the dice and see who gets to be banker

Calthrop

Established Member
@xotGD: with Monopoly being a wicked capitalist game, pandering to people's basest and most selfishly acquisitive instincts; and with my indulging in it, being a guilty pleasure -- I'll stand aside, and give you the floor.

xotGD

Established Member
@xotGD: with Monopoly being a wicked capitalist game, pandering to people's basest and most selfishly acquisitive instincts; and with my indulging in it, being a guilty pleasure -- I'll stand aside, and give you the floor.
Thank you!

Next question: What is Fleming's left-hand rule?

xotGD

Established Member
Something to do with magnetic flux, current and motion,can't remember whether it's for motors or generators / right hand rule or v/v.
That is close enough. The left hand rule is for working out the direction of motion in an electric motor, with the right hand rule for working out the direction of electric current in an electric generator.

Your floor...

MotCO

Established Member
Dragging us back to Monopoly (good question by the way @SteveM70 ), Waddington's also produced another board game with a similar sounding name. What was this board game, and what activity was it based on?

perryman

Thank you. May I offer an open floor, please, as I have no suitable question to hand/mind.