• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Is the theme "lyrics in songs by Liverpudlian bands"?
Correct, but it is the answers to the five specific questions that are wanted.
Would Nerys Hughes be Sandra in the Liver Birds
Being filled up with paraffin be from Rentadick, where the security driver locks himself inside the van and is literally flushed out with paraffin
Indeed, she was Sandra Hutchinson.
I know nothing about Rentadick and it is the band that I want.
That's a Beatles lyric, "Paperback writer"?
Sorry, wrong. EDIT: Right band, wrong song.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
Still one and three quarters to go.

I was hoping that ‘six three two three double ‘O’ three’ might ring a bell.

And that the penny might drop as to who had a portrait of the queen in his pocket (and where).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I think it’s an OMD song, probably an early one. In my head it’s got shouty vocals.
Believe @SteveM70 is correct. It's a reference to the 'phone number of the telephone box (remember them?) that the band used as their "office" number back in their early days.

Gloster

Established Member
Yes, they are all from songs/instrumentals from Merseyside bands. The telephone number in Red Frame/White Light is of a telephone box on the corner of Birkenhead Road and Greenwood Road in Meols. It was used by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark to organise their gigs. I can remember when Annie Nightingale took up the offer of a girl who lived nearby to ring the show up from the box.

That is two each to millemille and SteveM70, so I leave you to decide who takes the microphone.

millemille

I’ve set quite a few recently so happy to let millemille take the stage
Ok, I'll have a go.

What links a Samurai sword, the district of Bologna where the airport is, the Japanese name for a Peregrine Falcon, the Anglo American SLBM and Turdus Merula?

MotCO

Established Member
Is the SLBM Trident? If so since it is Poseidon's weapon, is the link Greek mythology?

Spamcan81

A Samurai sword is a Katana. Suzuki made a motorbike by the name of Katana and Triumph made one by the name of Trident.
Just asked my brother in law and he tells me that there is/was a Honda Blackbird motorcycle so are they all motorbikes? Still trying to get the Bologna clue but is it a name used by Ducati?

Spamcan81

So we have :
Suzuki Katana
Triumph Trident
Honda Blackbird
Number four has just come to me courtesy of a WW2 Japanese fighter built by Nakajima -
Suzuki Hayabusa
Now for the Italian connection. I can think of the brand names but not many model names but how about
Laverda Jota?

millemille

So we have :
Suzuki Katana
Triumph Trident
Honda Blackbird
Number four has just come to me courtesy of a WW2 Japanese fighter built by Nakajima -
Suzuki Hayabusa
Now for the Italian connection. I can think of the brand names but not many model names but how about
Laverda Jota?
You're as close to getting them all as it is possible to be so I'll give you the last one, Ducati Panigale. Borgo Panigale is the district of Bologna where the airport and the Ducati factory is.

Over to you.

Spamcan81

You're as close to getting them all as it is possible to be so I'll give you the last one, Ducati Panigale. Borgo Panigale is the district of Bologna where the airport and the Ducati factory is.

Over to you.

Every day is a school day. Only Ducatis I could think of just had a number as the model name. Now to think of another quiz.

Spamcan81

What connects Stranraer, Southampton, Felixstowe, Rangoon and Singapore? There's probably more than one that people can think of but I'm looking for one specific connection.