• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Was it to reduce the speed limit, which I think was ridiculously low anyway. Plus I think they may have had to be a rule where a car needed a 'flag person' to walk in front at all times? Or maybe I've dreamt that bit at some point. I'll go with the speed limit reduction.
I thought there was no speed limit yet, probably the vehicle did not look much like a car.

The answer I have in mind might have been a prayer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
Methane, ethane, propane, butane, pentane, hexane, heptane, octane.

Alkanes.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks.

What species of (non-European) creature is now something of a pest in parts of Germany; with Hermann Goering -- who among his other attributes, was a keen fan of nature and the wild -- having been instrumental in the 1930s, in its introduction as a potentially enjoyable addition to the wildlife of central Europe?

Calthrop

Established Member
Neither mink nor wild boar, I'm afraid -- and I think you'll find that Germany has had the latter in great plenty, since time immemorial !

DaleCooper

Established Member
Thanks.

What species of (non-European) creature is now something of a pest in parts of Germany; with Hermann Goering -- who among his other attributes, was a keen fan of nature and the wild -- having been instrumental in the 1930s, in its introduction as a potentially enjoyable addition to the wildlife of central Europe?
Wallaby?

Calthrop

Established Member
Waschbaer, Raccoon? Nandus, big Ostrich-like birds (they came later)?

The correct answer is, the raccoon -- as per you, @LSWR Cavalier, rather charmingly called in German, Waschbaer: washing bear (they aren't bears; but language is often zoologically "out to lunch", and I suppose they're more like bears than, say, octopuses) -- they're fastidious creatures, and wash their food when they have the chance. The raccoon is what I was thinking of, as that which old Hermann introduced to perk up Germany's wildlife (didn't know about the ostrich things, but nothing was too crazy for that lot...)

@Peterthegreat: you beat @LSWR Cavalier to it with the raccoon, so the floor is yours. Other participants -- bad luck -- some wonderful suggestions made !