• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GenerateNormals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the "GenerateNormals" statement in a csv file really necessary?

The reason why I'm asking about this is because I left this out (by mistake) in an object that I made but it still displayed correctly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simon_G

Look carefully - the faces aren't correctly lit if you leave out the GenerateNormals statement. Actually, since you should always include it, I don't know what purpose the statement serves: BVE could just as well generate the normals automatically on the next CreateMeshBuilderStatement/end of file and save you the bother.

The normal to a plane is a vector perpendicular to it. In 3D graphics, there is a normal vector at each vertex of the face and they define the orientation of the face and are used to shade it. By changing the directions of the vectors and using an appropriate shading algorithm, apparently curved faces can be acheived (as is done for a cylinder in BVE). Although .csv format doesn't support this, .X format does and when we start to use 3D graphics programs to build models rather than hand coding them as csv, this feature will be available to us, though to a limited extent as we can't use thousands of polys in BVE and get reasonable performance!

Status
Not open for further replies.