• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Genuine terminal stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delt1c

Established Member
That is, stations that were built as terminals and still fulfill only that function. For example Ilkley doesn't count because the line used to go through. Manchester Piccadilly doesn't count because it has had through platforms added. Bradford Interchange doesn't count because almost nothing terminates there.

Bradford Forster Square
Stranraer Harbour
Whitby
North Berwick

Going to be a lot of coastal stations in this one I think........
North Bewick fails as the line used to continue on the origonal station . It was resited I think around the 80's, in the same fashion as Fortwilliamwas.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You are not correct and I say this as someone employed there by Network Rail.
The subsurface station is owned and managed by Network Rail.
The Eurostar platforms and departure lounge (i.e. anything past the check-in gates) are managed by them, although the infrastructure of the station itself is looked after by Network Rail, the rest is *only* managed by Network Rail but all of those areas are owned by HS1.

I am not arguing any more.

Visit this page and look at the drop down menu - you can see that there is two stations on the list to choose from - not three. You can see by looking at the station information that International is managed by Eurostar and domestic is Network Rail. There is no separate station for First Capital Connect it is just a separate part of domestic.

chuffchuff

London Waterloo used to have a connection to Waterloo East
then known as Waterloo Jn Stn

EM2

Established Member
I am not arguing any more.

Visit this page and look at the drop down menu - you can see that there is two stations on the list to choose from - not three. You can see by looking at the station information that International is managed by Eurostar and domestic is Network Rail. There is no separate station for First Capital Connect it is just a separate part of domestic.

OK, if you're willing to accept the word of an external website, rather than someone employed at the station in question by the managing company concerned.

Lee_Again

I only can think of a few!

Charing Cross (London).

London Victoria.

Cannon Street.

Bromley North.

Lymington Pier.

London Waterloo.

London Bridge (Southern Section).

Brighton.

Portsmouth Harbour.

Grove Park (Platform 1).

Clacton.

Walton-on-the-naze.

Southminster.

Southend Victoria.

London Liverpool Street.

London Fenchurch.

London Marylebone (How ever you spell it!)

London Paddington.

London Euston.

London Kings Cross.

East Grinstead.

Uckfield.

Bognor Regis.

Littlehampton.

Kings Cross - I think the Hotel and York curves strip this one of its status.

Paddington - The H&C/Circle lines pass though and in the early days the GWR ran on to the early Circle.

Waddon

Tattenham Corner

I don't think this one should be included, as a train once passed through the buffer stops and the station building, ending up almost in the car park, thereby making this one a former through station!:D

4SRKT

Established Member
Surely the same could be said of Stourbridge Town? :D

And indeed Shepperton. There was a great picture in Modern Railways in about 1982 of a 508 sticking out of the end of the station under the shadow of the Ian Allen office building!

Jeff Worsnop

Milngavie
Helensburgh Central
Largs
Ardrossan Harbour
Lanark
Saltburn

OK, along with everyone else's contributions, that must be Scotland and Northern England dealt with. Any more further south?

Blackpool North

Capybara

The Whitby line diverged short of Saltburn station. In fact it still does, as the freight line to Boulby and Skinningrove. Saltburn itself was and is a terminus.

4SRKT

Established Member
The Whitby line diverged short of Saltburn station. In fact it still does, as the freight line to Boulby and Skinningrove. Saltburn itself was and is a terminus.

Indeed. If you went much further beyond the buffers you'd fall off rather a large cliff!

4SRKT

Established Member
Well you'd have to demolish the old station and some houses first!

Probably beyond the capability of a 142 overshooting the buffers, even at full pelt! Now, a class 46 OTOH.......

D6975

Established Member
East Grinstead doesn't count - wasn't built as a terminus.
Uckfield too.

Last edited:

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Paddington does have through platforms though in the shape of the H&C line.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Norwich has through trains that reverse there (e.g. London > Gt Yarmouth), so it's out.

Gosh, I feel like some kind of school teacher marking people's work!

Wow, you pick up on Norwich based on a couple of trains that reverse rarther than terminate but don't notice Sheringham. Sheringham was not originally a terminus.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
East Grinstead doesn't count - wasn't built as a terminus.
Uckfield too.

Funnily enough, Uckfield was built as a terminus from the South. It wasn't extended Northwards until some time later.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Newquay
Falmouth Docks
Gunnislake
Barnstaple
Exmouth
Southminster
Southend Vic.

Status
Not open for further replies.