• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Geographical spread of Samaritan signs on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
I've noticed a lot of stations have small green signs with details for help from the Samaritans.

Are these placed to correlate with suicide hotspots or are they part of an NR initiative to put them at every halt in the country eventually?

I won't ask about least/most affected lines by suicide for obvious reasons but it would have been a follow-up question.

I believe the first time I saw a Samaritans sign was at Cheddington about 5 years ago.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

headshot119

Established Member
In my experience they're almost already nationwide, certainly most Welsh stations I've used have them, and a lot of Merseyrail stations.

TheEdge

Established Member
They are scattered all over East Anglia. I don't think they are targeted as such but just trying to stop people doing it.

They pop up at stations in our area after any suicide incidents. Usually put on the stop board posts at the end of the platforms - not ideal from a drivers point of view, which has resulted in a few signs being removed.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't think they are targeted as such but just trying to stop people doing it.

I think they may have been in the very beginning as I first spotted them at stations which had non-stopping services (so possibly more likely to attract people) but these days they do seem to be basically everywhere.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Very common along the Thames Valley, on the London to Oxford line.

Come what may, the Samaritans do perform a useful service and there are some distressed people who will contact them as a means of last support, even if it is only to talk over matters.

Agreed, even if signs on every station nationwide only stop one suicide then it will have been worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.