• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Geographically inaccurate NRE page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
In the grand scheme of things it does what it is supposed to I guess.

Though on E* it looks like mainland UK is having a dump.

asylumxl

Established Member
According to the shading, some TOCs actually have services over the land between railway lines, while others only operate on the lines.

That is hilariously bad! Do Northern Rail not serve East Yorkshire, then?? Or Grand Central West Yorkshire?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
AGA appears to serve Kent

Scotrail needs edited to remove the London service

Island Line appears to be a cross

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's been like that for years (and I think we had a thread on it when it first came out)! I think it's a nice idea but it's been woefully implemented.

cambsy

On Moderation
Does have some inaccuracies, but is designed to give idea rather than any detail, there is more detailed guides on NNRE website, and unless these wrong then not too much to worry about.

Quakkerillo

With the new Great Northern and Thameslink maps, Wales is also suddenly a little different, as is the Merseyside area.

Waddon

It's also set up wrongly - click the link for 'Caledonian Sleeper' on that page and it goes to a list of railcards and rover tickets

Darren R

Established Member
How long have London Midland been serving Barrow-in-Furness? ;) And even Island Line is way off the mark - how difficult is it to colour-in the IoW on an outline map of Britain? :lol:

kieron

Established Member
AGA appears to serve Kent

Scotrail needs edited to remove the London service
They should probably remove the Mull of Kintyre while they're at it, what with there being no railway south of Oban. The Caledonian Sleeper map could do with a bit more work, as it was clearly just copied from the Scotrail one, when the sleeper only reaches a few parts of Scotland.

I'm sure someone could put together maps of where different TOCs actually go, but I don't know if anyone outside NRE cares that much, either.

The original post asked "how could it be better designed", though. I was thinking that it could show special offers by area (as well as, or even instead of, by "train company"), meaning that it could highlight (say) East Anglia as you hover over it on the map, and clicking on it would bring up all of the offers relevant to it.

This assumes that the designers can find East Anglia is, of course.

I'd find this useful, as the special offers listed aren't, for the most part, TOC-specific ones.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
if it used the actual geographical route map as a basis, but with massively-oversized lines (in many cases these would overlap and merge) that would work better than the current drug fueled fever dream

infobleep

Veteran Member
It doesn't work properly on a mobile device as I couldn't see the different geographical changes.

No doubt it was produced by a graphic designer who thinks oh anyone can produce a map if they know how to use graphic design software.

The reality is no they can't and this is just another example of that. Should have employed a cartographer.

Status
Not open for further replies.