• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Geospatial Route Viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgreen

It must have been an impressive amount of work getting this up and running.
I'd agree that the gradient graph is a bit confusing: changing it to percentages (so the number increases as the gradient steepens) would make the graph much more meaningful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorksLad12

Established Member
That's an impressive bit of work! I was a bit surprised to find 0.4% of Leeds to London KX isn't electrified though...

Where did you get your rail routes (centre lines?) from? I've been after KMLs of those for yonks

Legolash2o

It must have been an impressive amount of work getting this up and running.
I'd agree that the gradient graph is a bit confusing: changing it to percentages (so the number increases as the gradient steepens) would make the graph much more meaningful.
Thanks, in I started the gradients back in December but only really started to focus on it in the last two months. I post of a lot on LinkedIn. Overall, it's taken about 4 years as I've had to digitise quite a bit of the Sectional Appendix, Load Books and a few other pieces of information as well.

That's an impressive bit of work! I was a bit surprised to find 0.4% of Leeds to London KX isn't electrified though...

Where did you get your rail routes (centre lines?) from? I've been after KMLs of those for yonks
The 0.4% is because it went through a siding at Doncaster instead of the mainline. I'm trying to fix that.

I got the KML from an FOI request which I can't share but.... someone else had also put one in and the .shp file is available on the link below. You can only use the data for personal work and need permission from Ordnance Survey to do anything else.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/the_networklinks_dataset
https://files.whatdotheyknow.com/request/the_networklinks_dataset/

dggar

Constructive Feedback:- I tried putting in Chester to Warrington Bank Quay And an error message came up saying "please report".
I then tried Helsby to Warrington Bank Quay and also Flint to Warrington Bank Quay and they both worked.

YorksLad12

Established Member

Legolash2o

Mapped 95% of the gradients. London Euston was a pain to map due to multiple/different gradients depending on which platform you start at. There was references to an "R M Terminal", which I made it harder as I'm sure it doesn't exist anymore.

Constructive Feedback:- I tried putting in Chester to Warrington Bank Quay And an error message came up saying "please report".
I then tried Helsby to Warrington Bank Quay and also Flint to Warrington Bank Quay and they both worked.
Ah, thanks! I think that was the same time I was changing the algorithm. It kept going through sidings or loops rather than preferring main lines (Doncaster Decoy yards). Sorry about that!

V useful - thanks!
No problem. Just be sure to read the limitations specified in the letter they supplied.

Last edited:

D6975

Established Member
Excellent, very useful tool.
If you're doing an ECML via York, don't forget to put York in the 'via' otherwise it'll send you round the avoider. I suspect that there will be others too, for example railmiles does strange things north of Warrington.

EssexGonzo

Very impressive. I don’t understand it all (because I’m not knowledgable about the railway) but well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.