• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

German rail crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
Rather a major cock-up in communications there, it looks like. Either the line was supposed to be closed, or the road-railer shouldn't have been there, I suppose.

WestCoast

Established Member
It's a harsh reminder that the European rail industry is not immune from accidents, and I agree with Schnellzug that this looks like a major failure in communications.

As a side note, I know people bash the BBC, but they have their facts right yet again in that sadly 3 rail workers, including the driver of the train, have died.

The Huffington Post, on the other hand, reckons this was a rush hour collision, and the conductor was killed, both statements are completely incorrect.

westcoaster

Established Member
Ouch not looking to good, am I the only one who thinks it looks odd, that RRV has come of 100% better than the train.

Ploughman

Established Member
Ouch not looking to good, am I the only one who thinks it looks odd, that RRV has come of 100% better than the train.

I think not.

2 of the casualties were Construction workers and that to me would mean the operator and his crane controller or equivalent. If equipped for the purpose both would be in the cab of the machine and in at least 1 of the photos there is a screen over the cab implying something that the authorities would not want you to see.
The lack of damage would be due to the fact that it is a little bit difficult to bend slabs of steel counterweight and an engine block.

If the machine had been the other way round and the boom had gone into the train or worse under it what would the consequences have been then?

Status
Not open for further replies.