• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

German rail question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamracene749

I am going to Lower Saxony next week (to see my kids) and intend travelling around using the lander tickets for that area. Can anybody point me to a comprehensive rail map, either online or to purchase?

Any other tips for a first timer abroad would also be welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zamracene749

Cheers mate, exactly what I was looking for. Now off to buy a phrase book and book some tickets!
PS what are the rules regarding photography over there?

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I think you'll be fine, there was a thread a few weeks ago about spotting in Koblenz and the advice was the same as the UK, i.e. don't get in the way of DB staff and let them jnow what you're doing if asked.

Zamracene749

Cheers again.
Last question (honest)- are there any 'must do' journeys in the Hanover/Bremen area? Interesting older traction or scenic routes?

Zamracene749

Thanks again. I'll post anything interesting here when I return (assuming I dont end up stranded at the far side of Europe or something daft like that!)

Zamracene749

Got back on saturday and have to say I am well impressed.

Travelled mainly by metronom and db 614/628 type dmus, also on Hannover S bahn. Out of 24 journeys made the only one that was even slightly late was the sleeper home which arrived ten mins down at Brussels from Hamburg.

I travelled alone and if anyone has not been abroad then try it, the trains are roomy, clean, reliable and cheap and almost everybody understands english.
As an example, bought a first class single on the train from Leer to Fallingbostel-the price?- a mere 33 Euros! Imagine buying a 1st single from the guard for a 200 mile journey in the UK without taking out a mortgage!

PS any DEMU fans out there try a ride on Arriva's Stadler GTW artics between Groningen and Germany-700BHP-in a lightweight articulated unit-they can almost throw you out of your seat!

Kris

If you go out towards Hamburg Altona - the roundhouse is still in use with the diesels parked all around the turntable.

I have an ambition to sit in the front of an Ice3 where you can look out past the driver.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
If you go out towards Hamburg Altona - the roundhouse is still in use with the diesels parked all around the turntable.

I have an ambition to sit in the front of an Ice3 where you can look out past the driver.

I've done that from Amsterdam to Dusseldorf (i.e. not on one of the new high speed lines). It was great.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Actually I've also been behind the driver in an ICE-3 between Nuremburg and Munich, including the new Ingolstadt high speed line and also between Ingolstadt & Munich and Bamberg and Nuremburg

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
I've never used an IC/ICE/EC on my trips to Germany as I've generally been either knocking around Hamburg on the HVV, or going between HH-Altona and Itzehoe for Wacken Open Air. <D

I used to use the RegionalExpress (Nowadays known as the Metronom) between HH-Hbf and Bucholtz on my trips to HansaPark. I dunno how DB do it (On a train with one 'leccy loco and about four double-deck cars) but there were times that I was sure the train was doing over 130mph! :eek:

I'm probabally wrong though...But it *feels* that fast on the lower deck! :happy8:
>> Death <<

Status
Not open for further replies.