• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Germany trip report

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Following on from my Czech holiday report which I did earlier this year, I've now finished off a review of my holiday in Germany last month, and loaded up a few pictures on my fotopic space.

The review (and the Czech one for anyone who missed it, or wats to see it again - now with a few corrections made!) and pictures can all be accessed via http://www.deltic.co.uk.

Next trips won't be till 2007, hopefully Czech again and maybe Poland too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Not being at all familiar with Continental railway operations, the doors on this unit http://theblackwatch.fotopic.net/p34863790.html don't even remotely match the height of the platform; don't they believe in step free entrance in Germany?

They don't seem to in a lot of foreign countries, stepping up or down is often 'the norm' - on many trains abroad, you have to step up and get on, then have another full height step to contend with beyond the entrance door. Yet over here, we worry about the Dot Matrix Indicators being 3mm too small on the 458s!

Nick W

Established Member
Are footbridges and subways rarer in Germany than in England. In France they seemed to be only used in main stations.

jamiephillips

i'm a german rail fan :) i travelled on quite a lot of double decker RE/RB trains round berlin - it seems to me that the lower deck is always below platform level. and with single S/U bahn its level access, cos there are lots of bikes getting on and off.
hope thats of vague help!

Status
Not open for further replies.