• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gett Together - shared taxi for commuting

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
There was a report on BBC News at the weekend about a taxi sharing service called Gett Together which offers a shared taxi service for commuting. They claim to offer under 3 minutes waiting time and charge £1.50 single in Manchester or £2-£3 single in London. However, the only route available in Manchester is West Didsbury to Piccadilly. In London there's Clapham Junction to London Bridge, Highbury & Islington to Waterloo, Belsize Park to Berkeley Square and Ladbrooke Groove to Aldwych. Unlike Uber black cab drivers work for them.

https://gett.com

Would anyone use one of these rather than a train or tram?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
Looks far more suited to small towns that don't have big enough point to point flows to justify decent PT.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Do they actually *employ* black cab drivers? I thought it worked in an Uber like way but with black cab fares etc.

I can't see much case for this in London (nor for the similar Uberpool). It could work well in provincial towns with poor bus services, though. I'd say London is the wrong place for it.

pemma

Veteran Member
It could work well in provincial towns with poor bus services, though. I'd say London is the wrong place for it.

Yes I think it would work well for hospital transport in non-metropolitan areas. You can schedule a taxi to run say every 20 minutes but if there's no requests one can be cancelled or if there's a lot of requests you can run an additional service.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Do they actually *employ* black cab drivers? I thought it worked in an Uber like way but with black cab fares etc.

I can't see much case for this in London (nor for the similar Uberpool). It could work well in provincial towns with poor bus services, though. I'd say London is the wrong place for it.

They do - Gett without the together is a Black Cab booking App (so avoiding many of the problems UBER has). One route is in conjunction with CityMapper. They've tried to put in links that currently require multiple changes.

So basically, it's a very small bus?

Which can stop anywhere on the route.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It may be that they wish to target those who think they are above public transport. In that case, somewhere like London would suit it well.

Does London actually have many of those people? It's one of the few places in the UK (Edinburgh and to some extent Nottingham are possibly the other two) where the City manager will share a bus seat with the building labourer.

In my view, people with disabilities or with heavy luggage aside, people using taxis during the day in London are fools. The Tube is near enough always quicker.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
They do - Gett without the together is a Black Cab booking App (so avoiding many of the problems UBER has). One route is in conjunction with CityMapper. They've tried to put in links that currently require multiple changes.

Which can stop anywhere on the route.
Ladbroke Grove to Aldwych, 23 bus, no changes. Highbury and Islington to Waterloo, 4 bus, no changes (that's the Citymapper one, I think). If they're so much better/quicker then that's an indictment of the present state of London bus services.

Status
Not open for further replies.