• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting 5 euro notes from cash machines in Eurozone countries and obtaining coins

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Germany and France, paying bus drivers, using tram/bus ticket machines and confectionery vending machines are examples of where only cash will do, and even then sometimes only coins are accepted.

Where do people get low denomination notes and coins, in these days of banks closing their counters and some shops trying to discourage cash?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Where do people get low denomination notes and coins, in these days of banks closing their counters and some shops trying to discourage cash?
Should certainly be able to get low denomination Euro notes (EUR5/EUR10) from Post Offices/Bureaux de Change here in GB before you travel. Obtaining Euro coins will be more tricky, most Post Offices/Bureaux de Change over here don't normally handle foreign coins.

The exile

Established Member
Having got your Euro notes (remembering that ATMs will usually dispense denominations that can reasonably be handed over in normal transactions - though I seem to remember German ATMs that dispense €200 notes), make sure you spend cash, particularly for "weird sums" - and offer at least one denomination larger than absolutely necessary - you'll quickly amass a collection of small denomination notes and coin! At the end of the trip - make sure you keep some "useful" change to start off your next trip.

Should certainly be able to get low denomination Euro notes (EUR5/EUR10) from Post Offices/Bureaux de Change here in GB before you travel.
Thank you, if I ask for 200 in 5s and 10s would that be seen as acceptable?

Having got your Euro notes (remembering that ATMs will usually dispense denominations that can reasonably be handed over in normal transactions - though I seem to remember German ATMs that dispense €200 notes), make sure you spend cash, particularly for "weird sums" - and offer at least one denomination larger than absolutely necessary - you'll quickly amass a collection of small denomination notes and coin! At the end of the trip - make sure you keep some "useful" change to start off your next trip.
Thank you. ATMs seem to dispense mainly 20s, 50s and 100s from what I have seen.

I have the impression that most of Europe doesn't want to deal with notes above 20 euros - cash is useful on market stalls, beaches, cafés, bus etc but people like to use cards for bigger transactions.

Except in Germany and Austria where cash is king.

Last edited:

AY1975

Established Member
Even in Germany ticket machines at DB stations take cards, though.

Many other places in Germany such as shops and restaurants still only take cash, though (or did until the pandemic at least, but I haven't been to Germany since 2019).

I'd also say that cash is king in the Netherlands: until recently ticket offices and machines at NS stations didn't accept non-Dutch credit or debit cards.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In Germany and France, paying bus drivers, using tram/bus ticket machines and confectionery vending machines are examples of where only cash will do, and even then sometimes only coins are accepted.

Get whatever you get out of the cash machine (if you ask for an amount like EUR90 you can't end up with solely 50s, while asking for 80 will either give you four 20s or a 50, a 20 and a 10) and pay with a note for several small things like cans of Coke/packets of sweets for the first day. You soon amass plenty. They might complain but in the end if you say you don't have anything smaller they will do it.

Giugiaro

Some machines dispense 5€ and 10€ instead of the usual 10€ and 20€ banknotes.

The old Multibanco in the waiting room at Aveiro railway station was one such machine. It was quite convenient to have this option.

scarby

I have the impression that most of Europe doesn't want to deal with notes above 20 euros - cash is useful on market stalls, beaches, cafés, bus etc but people like to use cards for bigger transactions.

I can't recall ever having a problem with a 50 euro note, at least not in France, and as you say, Germany. Most shops will have numerous 20s, 10s, 5s in their till, so giving change is no problem at all. Likewise restaurants are hardly going to flinch at a 50 euro note proffered for a 20-30 euro bill, and they might even break the notes down in return in the hope of a nice tip!

Usually when I stay in France after a short time I have accumulated a large pile of small coins that I then have to get rid of when buying a baguette!

Even in Sweden, where cashless is becoming so common, places that take cash such as supermarkets don't bat an eyelid on the presentation of a 500 kronor note (roughly equivalent to 50 EUR) even for a relatively small purchase. After all, most cash machines will automatically give you a 500 sek note as part of the sum if you withdraw 500 or more in one transaction.

It only seems to be Britain where the presentation of a 50 pound note sometimes results in much head-scratching and comments.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That must have changed in Germany since I lived there in the late 90s, they were a bit obsessed with Haben Sie nicht 'was kleineres? (Haven't you got anything smaller?)

If you said leider nicht (sorry, no) then they'd change it, though, it was essentially just laziness.

D6130

Established Member
Cash is also still king here in Italy. Although an increasing number of small businesses outside of the main business and tourist areas now accept cards, cash is much preferred in family-owned restaurants, bars and grocery shops....possibly because it makes things easier for - ahem! - constructive tax declarations.
I can't recall ever having a problem with a 50 euro note, at least not in France, and as you say, Germany. Most shops will have numerous 20s, 10s, 5s in their till, so giving change is no problem at all. Likewise restaurants are hardly going to flinch at a 50 euro note proffered for a 20-30 euro bill, and they might even break the notes down in return in the hope of a nice tip!
Likewise in Italy....although tips are not normally expected in small family-owned restaurants. We normally just round-up the bill to the nearest Euro.
Get whatever you get out of the cash machine (if you ask for an amount like EUR90 you can't end up with solely 50s, while asking for 80 will either give you four 20s or a 50, a 20 and a 10) and pay with a note for several small things like cans of Coke/packets of sweets for the first day. You soon amass plenty. They might complain but in the end if you say you don't have anything smaller they will do it.
Most cash machines in Italy dispense 10, 20 and 50 Euro notes and some will also do 100s. Although we are in a slightly different position to most occasional visitors on here, it pays to remember that you will be charged currency conversion commission on every card transaction and every cash withdrawal. We do have an Italian bank account, but we normally only use it for paying taxes and bills, plus house maintenance. For everyday living expenses - food, drink, transport, etc. - we withdraw money from our UK bank accounts via Italian ATMs so, in order to minimise commission payments, we withdraw the maximum permitted amount (250 Euro) at a time and always pay cash....except in dire emergencies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Most cash machines in Italy dispense 10, 20 and 50 Euro notes and some will also do 100s. Although we are in a slightly different position to most occasional visitors on here, it pays to remember that you will be charged currency conversion commission on every card transaction and every cash withdrawal. We do have an Italian bank account, but we normally only use it for paying taxes and bills, plus house maintenance. For everyday living expenses - food, drink, transport, etc. - we withdraw money from our UK bank accounts via Italian ATMs so, in order to minimise commission payments, we withdraw the maximum permitted amount (250 Euro) at a time and always pay cash....except in dire emergencies.

For card payments it's typically just a percentage so you're best off paying by card if that's an option. For cash withdrawals it often does include a flat element so a larger withdrawal is prudent - though EUR80/EUR90 does have the advantage of not giving big notes, so tends to be the best balance for me. FWIW when I withdraw in the UK it's typically 50 quid, but in the UK at least you know there won't be a £50 note in it.

If your bank charges a flat fee on card payments abroad, find a better bank. Most don't these days.

SargeNpton

Established Member
It only seems to be Britain where the presentation of a 50 pound note sometimes results in much head-scratching and comments.
Probably because, a few years back, there were a significant number of forged £50s going around. Though that old design that was susceptible to copying has long since been superseded, a number of places are still reluctant to accept that denomination of note.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
In 2008, having stayed on in Germany after a work meeting to see Borussia Dortmund v Udinese and Bayer Leverkusen v Hannover 96, I remember having to get an early Saturday morning train from Leverkusen Mitte to Duesseldorf airport to get me back to Blighty in time to watch Bradford vs Ilkeston in the afternoon. The hotel wouldn't let me out of the door till 7 am and then I found the ticket office was closed. I had tried to buy a ticket the day before but they wouldn't let me. I ended up in a right panic trying to figure out how to use the TVM until a kindly local explained that it was "bargeldlos", i.e. card only. I can't remember whether my card worked or not or whether I was allowed to pay on the train.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In 2008, having stayed on in Germany after a work meeting to see Borussia Dortmund v Udinese and Bayer Leverkusen v Hannover 96, I remember having to get an early Saturday morning train from Leverkusen Mitte to Duesseldorf airport to get me back to Blighty in time to watch Bradford vs Ilkeston in the afternoon. The hotel wouldn't let me out of the door till 7 am and then I found the ticket office was closed. I had tried to buy a ticket the day before but they wouldn't let me. I ended up in a right panic trying to figure out how to use the TVM until a kindly local explained that it was "bargeldlos", i.e. card only. I can't remember whether my card worked or not or whether I was allowed to pay on the train.

What on earth hotel wouldn't let you out until a specified time?! I'd use the fire escape (and never stay there again) if anyone tried such tripe on me. If I hadn't paid I'd leave cash and a snotty note behind the desk.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Quite possibly need to pre-order them.
Whenever I've bought Euros from a local bureau de change the wodges of 5s and 10s they pull out would easily be able to cope with someone asking for €200. Indeed I've often had the opposite problem of feeling like my order is rather smaller than they'd like to deal with! :lol:

So I wouldn't have thought the OPs request would be problematic unless they're going to a very small location.

pemma

Veteran Member
For card payments it's typically just a percentage so you're best off paying by card if that's an option. For cash withdrawals it often does include a flat element so a larger withdrawal is prudent - though EUR80/EUR90 does have the advantage of not giving big notes, so tends to be the best balance for me. FWIW when I withdraw in the UK it's typically 50 quid, but in the UK at least you know there won't be a £50 note in it.

If your bank charges a flat fee on card payments abroad, find a better bank. Most don't these days.

In Greece (and possibly other countries), all local banks charge a fee if try to make a withdrawal from an ATM using a card belonging to a foreign bank. That includes HSBC Greece machines when inserting a HSBC UK card and cards where the provider doesn't charge any fees for foreign transactions like Starling and Virgin Money. So it's best to have get some local currency prior to departing.

If your bank charges a fee and you're happy to have another simple bank account, then maybe open one with Starling. If you don't want another account then maybe get a Curve card. Both options allow you to access the Mastercard exchange rate, that's often better than Bureau de Changes in the UK, and they don't charge you a fee for doing so. Curve also gives the option of email receipts showing both the foreign transaction and sterling amount, which might be useful if you have to do a company expense claim.

Quite possibly need to pre-order them.

Normally pre-ordering currency gives you better rates. I think M&S Bank usually tend to be the best rate for Euros, if there's a nearby M&S where you can collect foreign currency but there is a £150 minimum transaction value. Thomas Cook used to give good rates for pre-ordered currency but now they're online only so no different to various sites that will send large quantities of foreign currency to your home by courier.

Last edited:

johncrossley

Established Member
I've noticed that I've hardly needed cash in most Eurozone countries that I've visited in the last few years. I have started to run down my float of Euro coins as I hardly use them. For Dublin buses you can now top up your Leap card using an app so you don't need to go into a shop with cash any more.

I'd also say that cash is king in the Netherlands: until recently ticket offices and machines at NS stations didn't accept non-Dutch credit or debit cards.

Debit cards are probably accepted more there than are in the UK, just not Visa or Mastercard ones. Little shops are mostly quite willing to accept debit cards, and for any amount, because Maestro fees for retailers are much lower than Visa and Mastercard fees. You don't have the minimum spend like in similar shops in the UK. You can even pay for the toilet in McDonald's with a debit card! The issue is more that cash is increasingly not accepted and where they also don't accept Visa and Mastercard, that means many foreign travellers can't shop there. For example some Albert Heijn convenience stores are now cashless and Maestro/V Pay card only, although some of those convenience stores even accept Visa and Mastercard, generally the ones in rail stations. Their normal supermarkets still accept cash. Some other supermarket chains accept Visa and Mastercard as well as cash.

I realise it was a big hassle for foreigners back in the day but NS stations have accepted Visa and Mastercard for quite a few years now. Since 2014. Most if not all Dutch buses no longer accept cash but drivers still sell tickets and accept Visa and Mastercard.

Last edited:
You can even pay for the toilet in McDonald's with a debit card!
Sounds like an excuse for them to charge 50 cents or a full euro rather than the 20 cent coin that it used to be!

For example some Albert Heijn convenience stores are now cashless and Maestro/V Pay card only
Interesting that a small convenience store over the border in Germany would probably not accept cards at all.

rvdborgt

In Germany, I always look for a Volksbank. Most of them have 5€ notes (and if not then 10€ notes) with note selection. I usually get 100€ in 5€ notes.
In Belgium, Belfius ATMs often have 5€ notes.
In Berlin Hbf, there's a corner with some money changing machines, IIRC next to the area with the lockers. They accept 5€ and 10€ notes and maybe coins and you can in any case get coins (1€ and 2€ IIRC) and 5€ notes out of them.

Last edited:

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Many food stores in Germany, often in or beside train stations, offer cashback, you can buy food for minimum €10, ask for €195 cashback to get assorted banknotes.

LowLevel

Established Member
That must have changed in Germany since I lived there in the late 90s, they were a bit obsessed with Haben Sie nicht 'was kleineres? (Haven't you got anything smaller?)

If you said leider nicht (sorry, no) then they'd change it, though, it was essentially just laziness.
Back when we took more cash I used to resent people using me, as someone without the ability to easily acquire more change, as a change machine by issuing me larger notes when they obviously had smaller for small fares, wanting to stock up on their supply of £1 coins and smaller notes, or hoping I'd say "don't bother, I can't change it".

When I was younger and more hot headed I kept a few spare bags of £5 worth of 10ps. I've thrown those at several of the more irritating offenders and had several good laughs out of their outraged reactions.

When I was younger and more hot headed I kept a few spare bags of £5 worth of 10ps. I've thrown those at several of the more irritating offenders and had several good laughs out of their outraged reactions.
!! Also bus drivers have the option of the dreaded "change voucher"

In Germany, I always look for a Volksbank. Most of them have 5€ notes (and if not then 10€ notes) with note selection. I usually get 100€ in 5€ notes.
In Belgium, Belfius ATMs often have 5€ notes.
In Berlin Hbf, there's a corner with some money changing machines, IIRC next to the area with the lockers. They accept 5€ and 10€ notes and maybe coins and you can in any case get coins (1€ and 2€ IIRC) and 5€ notes out of them.
Thank you, that's useful. I've been put off by the stickers on Volksbank and Sparkasse machines mentioning 5 euro fees for certain cards, but perhaps that's more for German credit cards rather than foreign debit cards.

pemma

Veteran Member

They were always allowed to not sell you the product if they chose. The only thing they couldn't do was advertise the product at one price and then charge you more.

It would have backfired if the shop was short of change and you saved them a trip to the bank!

johncrossley

Established Member
I just read the Dutch are phasing out Maestro and VPay and replacing them with Debit Mastercard and Visa Debit, so before long there should no longer be card problems when visiting the Netherlands.

plugwash

Established Member
remembering that ATMs will usually dispense denominations that can reasonably be handed over in normal transactions
The trouble is "normal" can be quite a wide range. So it can be awkward when the ATM gives you a banknote at the upper end of "normal", but the cash transactions you want to make are at the lower end of "normal". You also don't know what "normal" is in a foreign country so it can be tricky to plan.

For example, when I went to stockholm I withdrew 500 kroner (IIRC about £40 at the time) and was suprised when the ATM spat out a single note. When I went to buy an icecream from the hotel desk with it I got a "have you got anything smaller" response.

Not all ATMs are "normal" either, most ATMs in the UK are stocked with £10 and £20, some are stocked with £5 and there are apparently a few that are stocked with £50. The ones stocked with £5 are marked on Link's ATM locator but I don't know any way to find out which ones are stocked with £50 and I don't know any way to find out comparable information for other countries..

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

In Switzerland it will give you the minimum number of notes. On one occasion I got a single CHF200 note (at that time that was effectively a £120 note, or thereabouts).

I then went and bought lunch for about CHF15 or so at the mini supermarket by Vevey station, they changed it without batting an eyelid.

You can be strategic about the sum you ask for, though - withdrawing 80 of whatever-it-is will get you either 4x20 or 50,20,10, both of which are useful denominations.

Not all ATMs are "normal" either, most ATMs in the UK are stocked with £10 and £20, some are stocked with £5 and there are apparently a few that are stocked with £50. The ones stocked with £5 are marked on Link's ATM locator but I don't know any way to find out which ones are stocked with £50 and I don't know any way to find out comparable information for other countries..
That's useful to know about LINK, thank you. I believe Citibank have £50s and Natwest often have £5s.

oldman

I have used self-service tills in supermarkets to get change for large notes. They don't complain as much as shop assistants, just a little sigh. I used to hide small notes out of sight in my wallet so that eagle-eyed assistants could not 'help' the poor foreigner by cleaning out all my change.

Status
Not open for further replies.