• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting a Receipt From TfL Contactless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordac

Established Member
Hope someone can help me with this. I'll be having to go from Euston to Heathrow next week as part of work travel, so I'll need a receipt to expense it. Is there a way to obtain a receipt from paying with a contactless credit card, or do I have to go through the rigmarole of buying a paper ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Does your workplace accept a printout from the Oyster website? If so, register your credit card and do that. Alternatively will they accept your credit card statement?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hope someone can help me with this. I'll be having to go from Euston to Heathrow next week as part of work travel, so I'll need a receipt to expense it. Is there a way to obtain a receipt from paying with a contactless credit card, or do I have to go through the rigmarole of buying a paper ticket?
You can register your contactless card online with TfL and then receive weekly PDF summaries by email of what travel has been undertaken and charged for.

ashkeba

Established Member
Is there no way to print a summary from the ticket machines? If not, that stinks.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Is there no way to print a summary from the ticket machines? If not, that stinks.
No. I don't really see that it's necessary to be honest. If you use an Oyster card you can instantly see your journey history on-screen at any ticket machine.

It wouldn't be possible to show the calculations at a ticket machine for contactless anyway - since the charge is not determined until the end of the day, when all travel undertaken over the past day and week are taken into account when determining what caps and fares are cheapest.

talldave

Established Member
Except for this very common use case which is being exploited by London's government to harvest more personal data?
If that worries you, use cash. (London doesn't have a government by the way).

Belperpete

Established Member
Contactless travel is not like contactless payments in a shop. When you pay for something in a shop, you and the shop both know how much you are going to be charged, and so you can insist on a receipt showing that amount. When you touch in and out on a ticket gate, how much you will be charged will depend on what other journeys you have already made that day and week, and potentially what other journey you are just about to make if it can be counted as a continuation of your journey. So you can't just go to a ticket machine and get a receipt for the journey that you have just made.

If you are going to be doing this regularly, then I agree with the suggestion about setting up an account so that you can get a PDF of your journey history for the relevant day(s). For a one-off, it's probably simpler to use your card to buy a conventional ticket (this may cost more, but you may not be worried about this if you are claiming the cost back on expenses).

It may be worth checking if your employer has a policy for this. One company that I worked for insisted that if you are going to claim for Oyster/contactless travel, then you had to set up an account and submit the journey history. They would not accept a bank statement, as it did not identify the journey in sufficient detail for the tax man.

If you are going to submit a bank statement as evidence for your expense claim, some banks allow you to produce customisable statements on-line where you specify the start and end date, if you don't want to give your boss full details of your month's outgoings.

Last edited:

Belperpete

Established Member
You can register your contactless card online with TfL and then receive weekly PDF summaries by email of what travel has been undertaken and charged for.
With an Oyster account, you can go on-line and ask for a summary within user-selectable start and end dates, if you don't want to confuse your boss with assorted other journeys you may have made on other days. Can you do the same with contactless?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
With an Oyster account, you can go on-line and ask for a summary within user-selectable start and end dates, if you don't want to confuse your boss with assorted other journeys you may have made on other days. Can you do the same with contactless?
I'm pretty sure it's possible but I can't 100% confirm since I tend to use Oyster rather than contactless.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Yes you can.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No need to register for an account on the TfL website to see your Contactless journey history.

Tom B

Established Member
It was previously easy to get a printout of history, but this was when ticket offices are open.
If a contactless card is presented to a ticket machine will it show history as an oyster will?

ashkeba

Established Member
For contactless you can get a 7 day history without an account on this page: https://contactless.tfl.gov.uk/HomePage/7DayHistory
Does this work for anyone? It shows a Google "security check" (a spot the X type question, nothing to do with security) which goes to a menu that includes "7 day journey & payment history - Access up to 7 days history without an account" as one option but clicking that goes back to the "security check" - and so it repeats forever.

causton

Established Member
It was previously easy to get a printout of history, but this was when ticket offices are open.
If a contactless card is presented to a ticket machine will it show history as an oyster will?
No, as stated above they work in different ways. Contactless it is harder to calculate as the cost is worked out taking into account all journeys generally overnight/at the end of the week for daily/weekly capping.

causton

Established Member
Does this work for anyone? It shows a Google "security check" (a spot the X type question, nothing to do with security) which goes to a menu that includes "7 day journey & payment history - Access up to 7 days history without an account" as one option but clicking that goes back to the "security check" - and so it repeats forever.

Works for me, goes to a Verified by Visa/Mastercard/Amex page after I put in my personal/card details:

upload_2019-5-24_20-16-29.png

Then all it says is I have no history in the last 7 days. Which is admittedly true!

paddington

It's for the security of the TfL website to prevent it from being overwhelmed by bots or something like that.

Use another browser and/or disable all extensions/filters.

Alternatively buy an Oyster card and you can get a list of the most recent 10 transactions on TfL ticket machines. Phone photos of this have been accepted for my expense reimbursements. An Oyster card is refundable immediately at ticket machines if the total balance is £10 or less and 48 hours have elapsed since it was purchased.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No you can't. You can do this for Oyster because the journey history is only kept for 8 weeks. With contactless it's kept for a year so they haven't provided email options.
I'm pretty sure it's possible but I can't 100% confirm since I tend to use Oyster rather than contactless.
Yes you can.
No you can't. With contactless the only options are last 7 days, or complete months going back a year.
No, as stated above they work in different ways. Contactless it is harder to calculate as the cost is worked out taking into account all journeys generally overnight/at the end of the week for daily/weekly capping.
The reason is actually simpler than that. A ticket machine simply displays the last 8 journeys recorded on the Oyster card. No attempt is made to retrieve information from the central system. There is no data recorded on a bank payment card, for obvious reasons, so there is nothing that the machine can display.

maxbarnish

I just use my bank statement for contactless - never had any issues with this. Suppose there may be some workplaces that haven't caught up with modern technology yet...

Belperpete

Established Member
How is a bank statement modern technology?
And the issue was not with the technology, but providing an invoice that proves that you had actually paid for the journey you were claiming for. A bank statement showing a generic payment to TFL only proves that you paid a certain sum of money on a certain date - it doesn't show what you paid that money for, it could be for any old journey. HMRI can object to a claim if there is insufficient evidence to prove the payment is work related, meaning the payment would then have to be taxed. I think the company concerned had previously had HMRI reject some of their expense payments, and were determined not to have the same happen again. For a large company, having to retrospectively trawl through thousands of expense claims can be a daunting exercise. A similar thing applies with hotel bills, a bank statement simply showing how much you paid is unlikely to be acceptable, as there are some things that can appear on hotel bills that HMRI do not accept as legitimate business expenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.