• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting from Leeds to Tilbury Docks

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmoss

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest a way of doing this as cheaply as possible. I've been looking at Super-off Peak singles but they are £99.30 each. I only need to go one way as I will be taking a ship to Amsterdam and flying back. The flight back to Leeds costs less than the train to Tilbury!

Creative suggestions welcomed!

Thanks

Stu.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chesterton

Hi

I'd imagine the big saving would come from buying an advanced fare from Leeds To London. Once into St Pancras / Kings Cross you could jump on the underground to Tower Hill for Fenchurch St Station or Barking. I think then it's the c2c Southend trains that call at Tillbury docks (not sure if they do advanced tickets) but be careful as not all c2c trains to Southend go via Tillbury.

In short
Leeds - London - biggest saving to be had here I reckon.
Underground - Oyster will make journey cheap as possible.
London - TD - C2C train service, try looking at prices from Fenchurch street and Barking.

34D

Established Member
Hi All,

Can anyone suggest a way of doing this as cheaply as possible. I've been looking at Super-off Peak singles but they are £99.30 each. I only need to go one way as I will be taking a ship to Amsterdam and flying back. The flight back to Leeds costs less than the train to Tilbury!

Creative suggestions welcomed!

Thanks

Stu.

For a journey like that, getting friendly with the truckers would be the absolute cheapest!

calc7

Established Member
East Coast will sell a half-price Super Off-Peak Single from Leeds to London Kings Cross if bought on their website by 23:59 the day before travel.

£50 saved there already.

Then you need some suitable other tickets/Oyster to get to Tilbury.

chesterton

What about an EMT advance ticket into St Pancras. I used to travel from Sheffield to London and used to save loads. I even used Megatrain and travelled for about 3 quid once.

Do EMT still do Leeds to London? What about Grand Central from Bradford?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
National Express have plenty of £5 Advance fares to London (4h30 journey) booking a few days in advance, £1.35 Oyster PAYG bus to Fenchurch St then £7 Anytime Day Single to Tilbury.

As 34D says, hitchhiking will be the cheapest way though.

tgsh2011

Try looking for an Advance from Leeds to Grays. You can then buy a ticket from Grays to Tilbury Town. There is a bus that runs between the Town and River. I often do Grays to Liverpool/Manchester and find some really good Advance deals so hopefully similar on the East Coast. Such a ticket will include the Cross London transfer. I'd recommend getting Hammersmith and City tube from Kings Cross SP to West Ham, where you can then change to the c2c service. It's half hourly from West Ham to Tilbury Town and all trains going to Tilbury Town stop at Grays. Destination will be Southend Central, Pitsea, or Stanford Le Hope so check the destination board at West Ham!

If using separate tickets then the biggest saving for the cross London transfer will be by using Oyster from Kings Cross SP to Grays but that will involve touching out at Grays and waiting 30 minutes for the next train if on PAYG!

stuartmoss

Thanks for your helpful replies everyone, I'm not going for several months, and don't have the exact date, but was pricing up options. I know I can get a cheap flight back with Jet2, but when I looked at trains for October / November they all seemed to be £99.30.

I'm not really into hitch-hiking, and I'll have some luggage, so will explore the other suggestions, thanks for your advice.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
East Coast have only released Advance tickets up to the 26th October - if you're looking after this date you'll only see the walk-up fares. I just checked Oct 12th and there are £32 Advances available for the whole journey. These tickets are usually released weekly so check again in a few weeks (depending on when your travel dates will be fixed).

Check here for availability.

chesterton

An advanced single to Kings Cross is about 15 quid on an off peak train during the week at the end of October. While the train to Grays is £42 changing at Kngs X and then going out of Fenchurch street.

It is in fact cheaper for the whole journey to Tilbury Town at £32 as the poster above says.

calc7

Established Member
An advanced single to Kings Cross is about 15 quid on an off peak train during the week at the end of October. While the train to Grays is £42 changing at Kngs X and then going out of Fenchurch street.

It is in fact cheaper for the whole journey to Tilbury Town at £32 as the poster above says.

The lowest couple of tiers of EC&Connections Advance tickets (typically the ones that come up in purple on their website and qualify for the online 10%-ish discount) aren't available on all flows, especially those with longer connections.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Have you booked the ship yet and do you have to travel via Tilbury? If not, what about:

Leeds - London International - £48.10 (?cheaper advances available too)
+
London - Any Dutch station via Harwich Ferry - £39 to £59

Condor7

Are you visiting The Radio Caroline boat by any chance?
They are broadcasting live from the boat at Tilbury dock over the bank holiday weekend at the end of the month.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
If you're happy to go by coach most of the way, here's a slightly off-the-wall option, albeit one which requires an early start.

Train: Leeds to Bradford £3.30 Anytime Single
Thandi Express Coach http://www.thandiexpress.com
Bradford to Gravesend £24.00
(coach leaves from Bradford Metro Interchange Bus Stn at 0725 arriving at Gravesend Khalsa Road at 1345: there is also an afternoon departure but it's no use as the ferry to Tilbury has stopped running before the coach arrives in Gravesend)

Walk to Gravesend West Street Pier
Tilbury Ferry (every half hour, last departure 7pm) £3.50 single

Total £30.80

One definite catch: the stop in Gravesend isn't that near the pier (a 15 min walk - not ideal with luggage; maybe a bus or taxi would be advisable for this bit.

Other possible catch: I've no idea what Thandi's reputation as a *coach* operator is like. I do know they had a fairly (and I think consistently) shocking reputation when they formerly dabbled in *bus* services - certainly in Surrey (near Heathrow) and I think also in Birmingham

If you do go by train (as in all honesty I would inclined to be), I think that any train ticket to Tilbury Town will be issued to "Tilbury Stations", and as such is valid on the connecting minibus to Tilbury Riverside (Clintona Coaches route 99) from opposite Tilbury Town station - make sure you leave by the correct exit, the one on the platform you should arrive on from London, on Dock Road.

One small correction to something tgsg2011 stated above: if you touch out at Grays you need not necessarily have to wait half-an-hour for the train to Tilbury. Tilbury only has two trains an hour from London, but Grays has four (two via Ockendon, two via Dagenham Dock). If you arrive from London/West Ham via Dagenham Dock at Grays, for most of the day it's a 17 minute wait for the Tilbury train.

stuartmoss

Wow thanks everyone, so many options to choose from. In response to individual questions:

lyndhurst25 - I'll be going on a 2 night mini-cruise, so the ferry is a nice and budget alternative, but I'm after a bit of luxury!

Condor7 - No, but that would be worth seeing!

Status
Not open for further replies.