• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting off a GWR service early

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex397

Established Member
I’m hoping to travel from Kent to Bristol Temple Meads next week, and I will be travelling on a Super Off Peak Return ticket.

In the T&Cs, it states “Break of journey is permitted on the outward portion”, so does this mean I’d be able to get off early at Bath Spa to spend a few hours there? I have also read the excellent ticket guides on this forum, but I’m still not quite clear with this.
I’m also not sure if ‘break of journey’ just means breaking the journey at the interchange points, rather than actually getting off at a station en-route.

I will likely then travel to Bristol by other means, but would it be possible to get back on a train again to Bristol using this ticket?
Thank you in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
Break of journey refers to the ability to pause and resume your journey at any station on the route. It's not required that you would be getting off there anyway, as long as your ticket permits you to be on both the train you are getting off and the one you are getting on.

It also allows you, as you say, to get off and not get back on (continuing your journey either by another mode or not at all) - in this case it's commonly referred to as finishing "short" - and you shouldn't have an issue using the return portion of your ticket from Bristol.

So yes, as long as a valid route from Kent to Bristol would pass through Bath anyway - which I imagine it will - you should be perfectly OK getting off at Bath. If an automated gate is in operation it may reject your ticket, but this doesn't mean it's invalid - if that happens, just approach the member of staff watching the gates and they should be able to let you through.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I’m hoping to travel from Kent to Bristol Temple Meads next week, and I will be travelling on a Super Off Peak Return ticket.

In the T&Cs, it states “Break of journey is permitted on the outward portion”, so does this mean I’d be able to get off early at Bath Spa to spend a few hours there? I have also read the excellent ticket guides on this forum, but I’m still not quite clear with this.
I’m also not sure if ‘break of journey’ just means breaking the journey at the interchange points, rather than actually getting off at a station en-route.

I will likely then travel to Bristol by other means, but would it be possible to get back on a train again to Bristol using this ticket?
Thank you in advance!
Yes, that's all perfectly permitted. Break of journey is permitted on virtually all walk-up tickets, including this one.

That means that you can stop off anywhere along the way, and catch a later train to your destination - or simply end your journey where you stopped off. You can also do the opposite - start your journey en-route.

father_jack

That means that you can stop off anywhere along the way, and catch a later train to your destination - or simply end your journey where you stopped off. You can also do the opposite - start your journey en-route.
But don't the restrictions apply from the origin- which in this case Paddington counts as is where the time restriction is at, so if you arrive at Bath correctly on a super off-peak train but then arrive in Bristol TM from Bath later on what is a peak train or off peak train from Paddington you will be invalid ??? Could make for a long wait or buy a new ticket from Bath to Bristol............

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But don't the restrictions apply from the origin- which in this case Paddington counts as is where the time restriction is at, so if you arrive at Bath correctly on a super off-peak train but then arrive in Bristol TM from Bath later on what is a peak train or off peak train from Paddington you will be invalid ??? Could make for a long wait or buy a new ticket from Bath to Bristol............
Absolutely true, a new ticket from Bath to Bristol won't break the bank though if that's what it takes!

alex397

Established Member
Thank you for the great replies everyone, I’ll feel happy leaving the train early now. It’s great that this ticket has a good amount of flexibility.
Which station are you starting your journey at?
Canterbury West
Absolutely true, a new ticket from Bath to Bristol won't break the bank though if that's what it takes!
I’d be happy to buy another ticket from Bath to Bristol if it comes to it. Although I am aiming to get a bus into Bristol into Bath (bus geek!)

Status
Not open for further replies.