• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting people back on trains as lockdown eases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLevel

Established Member
TOCs that have taken an excessively cautious approach to training (naming no names in particular!) are now bearing the brunt of those decisions. Some traincrew have retired or left the industry, others have lapsed competency whilst shielding or through the significant reduction in work. Meanwhile, at some TOCs, very few people have been trained to make up for it.

You can't always win though - EMR have been proactive throughout with training, within the restrictions of COVID anyway, and are still up the creek without a paddle at the minute staffing wise.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You can't always win though - EMR have been proactive throughout with training, within the restrictions of COVID anyway, and are still up the creek without a paddle at the minute staffing wise.
It's not for lack of trying though. Not sure the same can be said about all TOCs!

brad465

Established Member
Southeastern could do with upping their frequency again, from experience both the Medway Valley Line and Maidstone East line are hourly services off peak, and using the former today there was clearly high demand.

RailExplorer

This is the closest thread I could find to match the railway bylaw regarding face coverings without opening a new thread. I believe this is to with getting people back on trains, but perhaps the mods disagree! It will certainly encourage me to use the train more.

Having just searched for the railway bylaws regarding face coverings, the expiry date of the legislation still appears to be 12 months after it started on 15th June. Does anyone know if this been extended already?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This is the closest thread I could find to match the railway bylaw regarding face coverings without opening a new thread. I believe this is to with getting people back on trains, but perhaps the mods disagree! It will certainly encourage me to use the train more.

Having just searched for the railway bylaws regarding face coverings, the expiry date of the legislation still appears to be 12 months after it started on 15th June. Does anyone know if this been extended already?
Yes, it was extended to 20th June. Still no impact assessment, even though the Regulations will have been in force for more than the 1 year cutoff point.

That said, I would not be surprised if they extend it beyond that date, as a sop to the vocal minority that are wetting their pants at the prospect of lockdown ending.

nedchester

Established Member

There is no "Railway By-Law" on Face Coverings.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Wearing of Face Coverings on Public Transport) (England) Regulations 2020 (legislation.gov.uk)

Ianno87

Veteran Member
That said, I would not be surprised if they extend it beyond that date, as a sop to the vocal minority that are wetting their pants at the prospect of lockdown ending.

Possibly may become guidance rather than law, if some measures end up extending beyond 21st June.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Possibly may become guidance rather than law, if some measures end up extending beyond 21st June.
If that happens, I can already see the reports of people being told to leave the train, or otherwise harassed by fellow passengers, for not wearing a mask...

After all, social distancing has only ever been guidance (in England) and yet in some contexts it was "enforced" as if it were law.

nedchester

Established Member
If that happens, I can already see the reports of people being told to leave the train, or otherwise harassed by fellow passengers, for not wearing a mask...

After all, social distancing has only ever been guidance (in England) and yet in some contexts it was "enforced" as if it were law.
Not at all. If it is guidance / advised then no-one will be asked to leave the train.

Even if it remains law there will be an increase in people declaring themselves 'exempt' which is likely to cause more issues.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Not at all. If it is guidance / advised then no-one will be asked to leave the train.

Even if it remains law there will be an increase in people declaring themselves 'exempt' which is likely to cause more issues.

I'm not suggesting I'm a fan of it becoming "guidance"; I'd prefer it as black-and-white "required" or "not required".

I can see squabbles coming along the lines of:
"The guidance says you should be wearing a mask!"
"But I don't have to"
Etc etc.

I'll probably carry on wearing one voluntarily until I'm not the "odd one out", for this reason.

westv

Established Member
I'm not suggesting I'm a fan of it becoming "guidance"; I'd prefer it as black-and-white "required" or "not required".

"But I don't have to"
Etc etc.
And Twitter will be full of such things too.:rolleyes:

RailExplorer

Yes, it was extended to 20th June. Still no impact assessment, even though the Regulations will have been in force for more than the 1 year cutoff point.

I was hoping they would have forgotten.

My mistake, I just knew it was a separate legislation to the rest of the face covering items so wrongly assumed it was a railway by-law.

nedchester

Established Member
My mistake, I just knew it was a separate legislation to the rest of the face covering items so wrongly assumed it was a railway by-law.
It's important because the railway employ by-law officers who can enforce railway by-laws (ticketless travel, smoking on trains etc) and may try to enforce the Covid legislation which they cannot.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's important because the railway employ by-law officers who can enforce railway by-laws (ticketless travel, smoking on trains etc) and may try to enforce the Covid legislation which they cannot.
There are limited powers of direct enforcement vested upon railway employees:
5.—(1) Where a relevant person considers that another person is, at the time of boarding, not wearing a face covering, in contravention of the requirement in regulation 3, the relevant person may deny boarding of the relevant vehicle to that person.

But in practice, the enforcement of face covering legislation has been left almost entirely down to the BTP.

Bikeman78

Established Member

I don't think it will be a problem. I've seen plenty of people without masks and they haven't had any bother from other passengers. The funniest I've seen was on the Central Line. Bloke gets on without a mask and plonks himself down in the seat next to me. The girl directly opposite him moved up one seat. Yes, one whole seat. Exactly what difference was that supposed to make?

bramling

Veteran Member

"But I don't have to"
Etc etc.

I'll probably carry on wearing one voluntarily until I'm not the "odd one out", for this reason.

In a lot of cases, I don't think it will be as polite as "but I don't have to"!

Mask use has certainly declined heavily in London recently, along with any attempt at enforcement.

nlogax

Established Member
Mask use has certainly declined heavily in London recently, along with any attempt at enforcement.
Depends where you travel I imagine. Time spent in zone 1 and 2 over the weekend indicates to me 90-95% use of face coverings amongst passengers. I see a few more without than before but really not many.

317 forever

Established Member
Just had a disagreement with btp at Marylebone.
As usual I didn't follow the one system and a member of BTP called me back and asked me to follow it. I asked him if one way systems are legally enforceable, he didn't answer so I called him a "something" joke, asked if theres any real crimes to solve and went on my way.
Surprised I didn't get more of a talking to.
Stupid one way systems are not going to encourage people back on trains
They could even cause a handful of people to just miss their trains. :lol:

Given how lightly loaded some long distance services have been recently, they possibly have space to resurrect the BR Disco carriage !
On May 14th I booked a return from Newcastle to Edinburgh for June 11th. I looked for seats in the quiet coach and at that stage very few seats on my chosen trains had been booked yet.

Went to London today. And it was great to see more and more people using the trains again!

Ok levels still not back to pre pandemic but we are getting there...
I noticed London busier on May 22nd than on any of my trio of visits last year, even the one in July.

I wonder how long it will be until NR move away from having masses of engineering works on bank holidays.
They might in the medium term have to arrange engineering works between 7am and 9pm, also between 4pm and 7pm, when train use will be at its quietest with people working from home and leisure travellers avoiding the "peaks". :lol:

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Another lovely sunny day & another day of rammed trains on the coastal routes from Norwich. A joy to see & drive.

farleigh

Lovely day on trains around south east. Few people are in masks today which was nice as I did not feel any pressure to wear mine despite announcements

trebor79

Established Member
Don't think so. I've had no harassment on several long journeys without a mask. Off to Cardiff on business next week, will be unmasked and I have no concerns.

island

Veteran Member
There are limited powers of direct enforcement vested upon railway employees:

But in practice, the enforcement of face covering legislation has been left almost entirely down to the BTP.
TfL officers have also been designated as able to issue fixed penalty notices.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Just had a quick journey on a 333, and noticed that the cab end sections were no longer marked off limits on the unit I was on. I hope this wasn't just a one off, its one of the last reminders of the train-based covid-phobia as things slowly relax.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Just had a quick journey on a 333, and noticed that the cab end sections were no longer marked off limits on the unit I was on. I hope this wasn't just a one off, its one of the last reminders of the train-based covid-phobia as things slowly relax.

Went on a few 331s around Manchester yesterday and likewise. But went on a 331 two weeks ago and there was a cordoned-off section that nobody obeyed because why should they in the front unit?

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
The train manager on the Avanti 1A35 upon departure from Runcorn has just announced, “You will be fined if you don’t wear a mask on board or on mainline stations. Fines have been issued on board and on stations in the last 24 hours.” Cheery. The trains I’ve been on today have been noticeably busier, and good to see.

roversfan2001

Established Member
The train manager on the Avanti 1A35 upon departure from Runcorn has just announced, “You will be fined if you don’t wear a mask on board or on mainline stations. Fines have been issued on board and on stations in the last 24 hours.” Cheery. The trains I’ve been on today have been noticeably busier, and good to see.
I assume the Train Manager isn't aware that only Courts can issue fines then... Face coverings aren't compulsory on open air stations in England either.

Status
Not open for further replies.