• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting to Gatwick urgent help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigVince76

Hi later today my partner and I are off to Gatwick, can you help us find the best fare?

I have a Freedom Pass and Disabled Railcard
She has Network Railcard

We live near New cross but can get to New Cross Gate easily on the bus.

We will be returning on Saturday afternoon.

The cheapest for me seems to be Boundary Zone 6 Anytime return at £6.45

But what about my partner?

Can I buy a ticket using my rail card for her, even though she would need a ticket from New Cross rather than the boundary?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
For your partner, split at East Croydon. No problem having a ticket for just her.

Check that buying from East Croydon isn't cheaper for you as well.

soil

Established Member
Oyster to East Croydon for her if after 7pm, paper discounted single before 7pm
East Croydon - Gatwick £3.25 single with railcard

Same to come back, or a three bridges - london FCC-only super off peak (£6.60 with railcard) t/c if you prefer to travel via London Bridge to New Cross

The BZ6 ticket is correct for you.

BigVince76

Thanks for the very quick response. Looks like East Croydon is the same price as the Boundary so I can get both tickets from there and she can use her oyster. I guess we will have to get off a train so that she can tap out at East Croydon and then come back in again using paper ticket, is that right?

soil

Established Member
Thanks for the very quick response. Looks like East Croydon is the same price as the Boundary so I can get both tickets from there and she can use her oyster. I guess we will have to get off a train so that she can tap out at East Croydon and then come back in again using paper ticket, is that right?

Yes; the through trains from New Cross Gate to Gatwick don't run until after 7pm, which would be off-peak. An Oyster PAYG single is £2.20 in that case. You might prefer therefore to buy a discounted railcard single at New Cross Gate for £2.60 along with a discounted ECR - GTW single at the same time, and remain on the train, if that is your plan.

Another option is a NXG - Streatham Common paper single, which is valid to to stop short at East Croydon, and slightly cheaper, at £1.80.

sarahj

Established Member
If your gonna buy a FCC only ticket, please make sure you use a First Captial Connect Train, I dont want to have to ask you to buy a new ticket if you get on mine.

soil

Established Member
AFAICT, it would always be quicker to wait for the FCC train and board that, if heading to LBG on a Saturday, anyway.

sarahj

Established Member
You would think that, but I still see people with FCC only tickets to london bridge on my southern Vic's

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Its a bit confusing when you see trains going through the Thameslink core with Southern livery and FCC's logo on :)

island

Veteran Member
If your gonna buy a FCC only ticket, please make sure you use a First Captial Connect Train, I dont want to have to ask you to buy a new ticket if you get on mine.

From East Croydon, ANY PERMITTED is cheaper than FCC ONLY to Gatwick Airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.