• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting to Sandtoft on Isle Coaches 291/399

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK Tom

Established Member
I'm hoping to visit Sandtoft on March 29th and the website instructs people arriving by train to take Isle Coaches 291 to Epworth and 399 back from there. Seeing as these are two different routes, does anyone know if a return ticket is possible, or what two singles will cost? Is there any other way of getting from Doncaster across to Sandtoft on a Saturday? I want to book my train travel to Doncaster (via Birmingham) in two weeks, the day it becomes available, to get the lowest possible fares, so I'd like to have a complete plan for it by then.

If anyone has past experience of visiting Doncaster and Sandtoft, any advice is welcome.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ECML180

It would be unfair to call Isle Coaches a cowboy. However they are certainly not keen to embrace modern operating and customer service principals! I doubt a return would be available but ISTR their single fares aren't unreasonable. They do tend to run to time so even though I don't know of an alternative I suspect you are fairly safe.

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/ may help! :)

Are you visiting the trolleybus museum?

MK Tom

Established Member
Yeah it's the trolleybus museum I'm going for.

I know nothing of Isle Coaches but looking them up on Flickr I see a fleet entirely step entrance? Is that true?

The museum apparently runs it's own shuttle to link into the Isle routes at Epworth, so hopefully that would wait if it was late. Again if anyone's done it before?

ECML180

All step entrance, fairly young but a few relics. The trolleybus museum either connects with the Isle Coaches bus (they guarantee the connection) or runs direct to Doncaster for the bigger events, as long as you arrive in good time for each bus you should be fine!

MK Tom

Established Member
They don't appear to have a website, I tried that before creating this thread.

I hope they're still running a 100% low floor fleet come March, as I'd love to get one of the classic vehicles I found when I Flickr searched 'Isle Coaches'.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Does anyone have contact details for Isle Coaches to try to find out about fares?

Last edited:
My North Lincs timetable leaflets for the 291 & 399 (2013 issue - valid from 4th August 2008) gives 01427 728227 as the contact for Isle Coaches.
The 291 & 399 are largely commercial operations.
Presuming Isle do returns (most do) just ask the driver of the first bus you get on for info. Most small company drivers are friendly & helpful.

There may have been timetable/bus changes if this article in April from the Scunny Telegraph is anything to go by:

A BUS service in the Isle of Axholme will be given a new vehicle and an extended route in a bid to get more people using it.

The 399 service, which serves Scunthorpe, Althorpe, West Butterwick, Beltoft, Belton, Epworth, Owston Ferry, Haxey, Westwoodside, Blaxton, Auckley, Branton, Cantley and Doncaster, will now reach more people.

The service, provided by Isle Coaches/Stagecoach in Lincolnshire, will run from Monday to Saturday.

Town councillor Liz Redfern said: "We are trying to get more people to use rural bus services.

"We are putting on a new bus and I hope people will use it."

Mrs Redfern said North Lincolnshire Council had been asking users for feedback on the timetable which means no service serves Epworth after 4pm.

A proposal by Councillor Jonathan Whittaker to write to the authority asking for the service to continue was accepted

Read more: http://legacy.thisisscunthorpe.co.u...tory-18728177-detail/story.html#ixzz2oUr31fwJ

Last edited:

brompton rail

Selwyn Motors 292 passes Sandtoft on it's once each way Saturdays only service. The morning service starts from Belton at 9.45 and the return leaves Doncaster at 16.00. There are no buses on 291/399 (Isle Coaches) from Doncaster to get you to Epworth or Belton in time, indeed the first eastbound bus is at 11.00.

So, sorry, unless Sandtoft Museum run a shuttle, there are no buses to get you there.

If you have a bike you could go by train to Thorne South or Crowle ( hourly Northern service Sheffield - Doncaster - Scunthorpe), and then bike the few miles to Sandtoft. Most of the roads are fairly quiet.

Bus times are at http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com

MK Tom

Established Member
Sandtoft run a shuttle from Epworth that connects with the 291/399 so that's fine. It's more the return and fares I was concerned about. The Doncaster-Epworth return worrying me because the 291 and 399 are different services.

I'm quite surprised they don't have a website though!

34D

Established Member
Owner of the company is John Bannister - a nice chap. 01427 728227 is the number for him that I have saved in my phone. Perhaps Mitch in Notts could edit his post above?

Owner of the company is John Bannister - a nice chap. 01427 728227 is the number for him that I have saved in my phone. Perhaps Mitch in Notts could edit his post above?

Isn't that the number that's showing on my post?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Isle Coaches were running a low-floor BMC Falcon recently, don't know whether they've still got it. They have owned various low-floor vehicles but very few have seen services, I believe the types owned include a MAN/Ikarus combination and some ex-Nottingham Optare Excels that were sold on to Holloways Travel in Scunthorpe.

No

With respect, he has the STD code for Grimsby (01472) instead of Gainsborough (01427).

Thank you that is a definite case of only looking at half the picture. I will check the leaflet later but think I saw the 72 in the actual number and entered it in the code as well. Whoops! And thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.