• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GEX 73s out and about today!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherJ

This afternoon I had to take a trip down to Horley in Surrey to pick up something, on my way back I boarded the 14:26 Horley - London Bridge and as the Train was between Horley and Salfords a Gatwick Express 73+MK2+GLV rake passed on the opposite slow line towards Gatwick Airport. (I was kicking myself as I felt like a trip on the GEX but I couldn't be bothered to travel the short hop up the line to Gatwick and buy an extra GEX only ticket as I thought it would only be a 460 Darth Vader back up to London which is nothing special!)

Can anybody confirm what this Loco Hauled set was doing?

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southern

I saw it twice when I was in London recently. First, it was running ECS into Victoria and then later it passed Wandsworth Common with the 21:20 Gatwick Airport - Victoria service.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ChristopherJ said:
.. I couldn't be bothered to travel the short hop up the line to Gatwick and buy an extra GEX only ticket as ..
what ticket did you have?

I know Gat Ex (who like to grab as much cash from customers as possible) won't want you to know this, but you can excess your ticket by paying the difference in fares. :idea:

ChristopherJ

yorkie said:
ChristopherJ said:
.. I couldn't be bothered to travel the short hop up the line to Gatwick and buy an extra GEX only ticket as ..
what ticket did you have?

I know Gat Ex (who like to grab as much cash from customers as possible) won't want you to know this, but you can excess your ticket by paying the difference in fares. :idea:

I had a zones 1-6 Travelcard and I bought a Cheap Day Return extension from Zone 6 to Horley, costing an extra £2.15.

I was thinking of buying a single from Horley to Gatwick and then getting a GEX single back to London but because of reasons posted above (having done the GEX 460s far too many times in the past! I felt it wouldn't of been worth the money doing something I had already done countless times before) I scrapped the idea and just travelled back to London on 'Southern'.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ChristopherJ said:
I had a zones 1-6 Travelcard and I bought a Cheap Day Return extension from Zone 6 to Horley, costing an extra £2.15.

I was thinking of buying a single from Horley to Gatwick and then getting a GEX single back to London but because of reasons posted above (having done the GEX 460s far too many times in the past! I felt it wouldn't of been worth the money doing something I had already done countless times before) I scrapped the idea and just travelled back to London on 'Southern'.
You should be able to excess the BZ6 - Horley to BZ6 - Gatwick, this would only have cost the difference in fares (probably £1 or something) and is then valid on GatEx, providing it's an Any Permitted (which I'm sure it would be - if not you can still excess it by getting an over distance excess and then a routeing excess).

joy54.gen

The GEX 73s have been out quite alot recently, I believe this is due to 460 exams. They often come out around 6-8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.