• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ghost stations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Demps

I really dont follow, well i suppose i do, but i dont understand. Mybe a abandoned station, but there are hundreds of stations with hardly any service, right?

Bonemaster

Makes you wonder if it is actually too hard to close a station or a line, for stations and lines that have a parliamentry service, and therefore no effective service that people can use such as the Staylebridge - Stockport, or the Gainsborough - Brigg - Barnetby service Network Rail is having to maintain the line to a passenger standard and Northern keep the stations in a safe state, drivers have to be kept up with route knowledge on these routes for no effective benefit other than to suck cash from other from other services

Oracle

Established Member
I have to say with regret that Dean and Mottisfont (Dunbridge) on the Test Valley seem to have a very poor service. Millbrook gets plenty of trains with the Salisbury SWT service but I have never seen any passengers ever use it!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Many of those stations look no worse than many in Greater Bristol - Parson St and Bedminster in particular, which have 1tph during the day and 2 in the peaks!

Oracle

Established Member
Cheers Tom. I used to live in Redland, which is an awful bus journey into the centre of Bristol if they ran. The train service was never it seemed an alternative. And Clifton Down's attraction it seems was the excellent take-away which offered Steakwiches late night after the Student bars closed.

Darandio

Established Member
South Bank actually has a decent service for the amount of people that use it. Teesside Airport on the other hand is a ghost station although as mentioned in other threads, its proximity to the terminal makes it pretty useless anyway.

chappers

Sorry to bring this one back to the top again, but Shippea Hill station on the cambs/suffolk border deserves a mention. I had a track renewal there last weekend and had a look at the timetable. It has 1 train a day in the week - and only in the Norwich direction, and then 1 train each way on saturday and thats it. The Up platform only has 1 train a week!

David Sinnett

So who wants to start an open access service from Blackpool stopping at Salwick, Clifton, Denton, Reddish South....Where shall we go? and how do we make it pay?

1D53

Established Member
To British Steel Redcar. Stations as above then Gainsborough Central, Kirton Lindsay, Brigg, Eastrington, Wressle, Teeside Airport and British Steel Redcar.

Phoenix

Established Member
polesworth is a station on the trent valley line near birmingham that has a ghost service,it's a two platform station with no footbridge to the other side shamefull really.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Arram to Wressle non stop direct ;)

To be fair, Arram doesn't seem to get such a bad service thesedays. It seems better than it has been in recent years. Broomfleet on the other hand is extremely infrequent.

Nym

Established Member
I once saw somone get on at arram!

I thinks thats only open because of DTC Leconfeild, they might end up running troop trains eventualy, or even possibly running oil trains to a new terminal </offtopic.>

Established Member
I think you're missing the point of this thread somewhat, Taplow sees trains every half hour both ways during the day :roll:

So?, At Night its like a ghost town til a Pair of MTUs hurtle by <D.

David Sinnett

Some of these stations hardly get any trains along their lines...Denton, Reddish etc others probably, though I don't know, get passing trains which don't stop.
Why don't they stop? Is there no stopping trains or no potential passengers?

Which other passenger quality lines have no or very few (daytime) trains like Denton Reddish?

will1337

Nym, have you done the Stockport - Stalybridge and do you know which stock it usually is? 142/150 I'd guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.