• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Ghost train" on destination board on train

Status
Not open for further replies.

r37

I'm not sure if this is quite the right place to post this, if not then please move!

IMG_20180205_155438 - Edited.jpg

I saw this earlier today. For those who may not be able to see the image, it is a 450 with "Ghost train 5Y05" on the description board on the side (can't remember the proper name for it!)

Is this a common occurrence? Or just a bit of a joke? I've never seen anything like it before!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Fairly common over the years, as if they really want to they can type in anything from the control panel.

pompeyfan

Established Member
That's odd, as it was definitely going in the other direction, i.e from somewhere west of Southampton.

May well have been the next working, the up goods loop to Southampton central empty to attach to a service from Poole if I remember rightly.

A couple of guards on here will be able to vouch that SWT never used to like manual destinations, unless there was no code available. In fact I think a forum member on here received a quiet word for putting ‘83 - Portsmouth harbour’ instead of the automatic, but ridiculous ‘portsm hbr’

r37

May well have been the next working, the up goods loop to Southampton central empty to attach to a service from Poole if I remember rightly.

That makes sense. I can't believe I didn't think of that. :lol:

A couple of guards on here will be able to vouch that SWT never used to like manual destinations, unless there was no code available. In fact I think a forum member on here received a quiet word for putting ‘83 - Portsmouth harbour’ instead of the automatic, but ridiculous ‘portsm hbr’

That seems like a really stupid thing to have a "quiet word" about!

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes, you do remember rightly! 5Y01 1303 Woking to Southampton Up Goods Loop (UGL) and 5Y05 1216 Guildford to Southampton UGL attach while in the UGL and form 5B56, the ECS for the front 8 cars of the 12 car 2B56 1556 Southampton to Waterloo, with the ex-Poole 4 car unit attaching to the rear.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Yes, you do remember rightly! 5Y01 1303 Woking to Southampton Up Goods Loop (UGL) and 5Y05 1216 Guildford to Southampton UGL attach while in the UGL and form 5B56, the ECS for the front 8 cars of the 12 car 2B56 1556 Southampton to Waterloo, with the ex-Poole 4 car unit attaching to the rear.
Thanks for clarifying. I’m glad I’m not going crazy in my increasing age!

Crossover

Established Member

I seem to recall it was a guard from here who did the "Trainy McTrain Face" one too!

Status
Not open for further replies.