• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ghosts in the UK (contains large images)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxfe_mxtterz

Hi all.

Was slightly hesitant to start a thread on this subject (for the reasons mentioned in the final paragraph), but after having thoroughly enjoyed reading through this now closed thread about supposed hauntings on the railways, I decided to give it a go.

Does anyone have any experiences of encountering what they believe may be a ghost?

I'd love to hear some stories and maybe even see some pictures of supposed "ghosts" which you may have - whether or not they can be proven is a debate for another day, but I just think that it'd be nice to share some experiences we may have had.

What encouraged me to start this thread was a personal experience of mine, from Newsham Park Hospital in Liverpool.

In the February of 2019, I decided to take a trip to the building to snap some photos, most of which are attached below:

3FA7E8E5-26E4-4518-A126-B9EA3B41C07F.jpeg
85D17D2A-9A20-4B22-A46C-2D0EF937C916.jpeg
35ED562A-C44D-424A-AE7A-709F70E58346.jpeg
ECA8BDBF-4A97-4C2C-8B6E-2420DC59EAA1.jpeg
846D4B8C-D4B1-4A8D-958F-00F523267D29.jpeg
A4B7FFFB-337A-4813-8D0A-77B52590BD7D.jpeg

However, upon reviewing my photos when I got home, in this photo (below), I noticed what looks to be a woman facing away from the window possibly carrying a child who seems to be facing the window? I don't know whether you can see it, as many people I've shown fail to see anything, but that's what it looks like to me.

642FABAD-2117-40E0-B6D7-0FCBDA27EC3D.jpeg

As far as I understand, the building has been abandoned for years with only occasional "ghost tours". For what I know, no tour was happening on the day of my visit, and even if there was, who would bring a small child with them?

Another thing is, the building used to be an orphanage (see below) which obviously means children were present there for quite some time.

EE77DEC2-CA3D-453F-B5BA-9D6F893AEE3A.jpeg

Make what you wish of my photo, but I haven't been able to find any reasonable explanation for what it could be. I'd appreciate it if anyone could put forward any ideas?

As a final note, may I kindly request that this thread does not follow in the footsteps of the other aforementioned (railway-related) thread, in that there's no abuse to those with differing beliefs about the matter, and that posts are kept relevant to supposed paranormal experiences, rather than having a multiple page long debate about whether the existence of ghosts can be proven or not. I, myself, aren't 100% certain of one or the other, but I certainly have had experiences and seen things that can't logically be explained.

Sorry for the ridiculously long post, and good luck - I look forward to hearing any experiences. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Puppetfinger

Can see what you mean in the picture as possibly being the woman and child, but it's not clear enough to convince me, and could easily be light reflection or some other object, fallen piece of ceiling etc inside the building.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can see what you mean in the picture as possibly being the woman and child, but it's not clear enough to convince me, and could easily be light reflection or some other object, fallen piece of ceiling etc inside the building.

It’s one of those things that if the idea is implanted in your mind before you look at the actual photo, you might (just) start to think that you’ve seen something.
Personally I just think it’s a reflection, but then I’m not easily convinced by anything like this.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
To answer your question, yes - I did once, back at school in autumn 1978.

About thirty years later someone independently posted on an old pupils' forum an identical story to mine, in the same dormitory, but his sighting about 10 - 12 years before me. Neither of us knew about the other seeing the same thing in the same place beforehand.

Bob figgis

I have two experiences I can relate. But first off I haven’t seen anything and I’m not a believer.
Many years ago whilst at home alone our dog started going mental and was desperate to get up stairs. The dog was normally placid and was never allowed upstairs. He got him self more and more agitated to the point I opened the door and he bolted up the stairs in a state I had never seen him before. I could hear him getting more and more aggressive with his snarls and barking. He was in our bedroom door way facing the opposite far corner of room. I have no idea what he could sense but he was going demented at something. Now being a six foot 18 stone brick out house I can look after myself but this did put the wind up me to the point I rang the family and asked they return home as being in the house alone was uncomfortable. I’m going back 20+ years and I still haven’t lived it down, it is the family joke about me being scared.

The second occasion I was working nights when our fork lift truck driver went awol. Now our warehouse is a million square foot so somebody not being seen for an hour isn’t unusual. But after three hours a search party went looking as concern was now rising. It is nights so people had been known to slope off for 40 winks. Carpark searched and all the usual places looked into. This driver was eventually found in an uncontrolled dither and white as a sheet in our day offices. Somewhere we wouldn’t normally venture. In his state of shaking and not responding to anyone who spoke to him to try to find out what the issue was, it was finally decided by our first aider we should call for an ambulance as it looked like the guy was having a mental break down. It was at his point the guy spoke. He was in the very far corner of the building driving down a road way and he had run over a little girl in a blue coat. He was adamant about hitting her and her going under the fork lift. He also said he couldn’t see her or find her. Another search ensued and nothing found, the guy was taken home and after a lengthy time off sick he eventually handed his notice in and never returned. It turns out our building is built on farm land just off where a WW2 airbase was located. A plane had crashed and killed the six year old daughter of the farmer who was playing outside in her blue coat. We have since relaid our warehouse floor so that there isn’t a roadway in this part of the building, we just store product there. If you walk down the columns of product to the spot where the guy said he had hit the little girl there is a significant temperature drop and a breeze blows. There are no doors or windows in this part of our building so the coldness and the breeze cannot be explained. I tell this story at work to visitors and colleagues from other parts of our business. They are all very sceptical until you take the ones brave enough to this part of the building, some how their bravado and scepticism dries up.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I have two experiences I can relate. But first off I haven’t seen anything and I’m not a believer.
Many years ago whilst at home alone our dog started going mental and was desperate to get up stairs. The dog was normally placid and was never allowed upstairs. He got him self more and more agitated to the point I opened the door and he bolted up the stairs in a state I had never seen him before. I could hear him getting more and more aggressive with his snarls and barking. He was in our bedroom door way facing the opposite far corner of room. I have no idea what he could sense but he was going demented at something. Now being a six foot 18 stone brick out house I can look after myself but this did put the wind up me to the point I rang the family and asked they return home as being in the house alone was uncomfortable. I’m going back 20+ years and I still haven’t lived it down, it is the family joke about me being scared.

The second occasion I was working nights when our fork lift truck driver went awol. Now our warehouse is a million square foot so somebody not being seen for an hour isn’t unusual. But after three hours a search party went looking as concern was now rising. It is nights so people had been known to slope off for 40 winks. Carpark searched and all the usual places looked into. This driver was eventually found in an uncontrolled dither and white as a sheet in our day offices. Somewhere we wouldn’t normally venture. In his state of shaking and not responding to anyone who spoke to him to try to find out what the issue was, it was finally decided by our first aider we should call for an ambulance as it looked like the guy was having a mental break down. It was at his point the guy spoke. He was in the very far corner of the building driving down a road way and he had run over a little girl in a blue coat. He was adamant about hitting her and her going under the fork lift. He also said he couldn’t see her or find her. Another search ensued and nothing found, the guy was taken home and after a lengthy time off sick he eventually handed his notice in and never returned. It turns out our building is built on farm land just off where a WW2 airbase was located. A plane had crashed and killed the six year old daughter of the farmer who was playing outside in her blue coat. We have since relaid our warehouse floor so that there isn’t a roadway in this part of the building, we just store product there. If you walk down the columns of product to the spot where the guy said he had hit the little girl there is a significant temperature drop and a breeze blows. There are no doors or windows in this part of our building so the coldness and the breeze cannot be explained. I tell this story at work to visitors and colleagues from other parts of our business. They are all very sceptical until you take the ones brave enough to this part of the building, some how their bravado and scepticism dries up.

ooh you got me there a bit!

It would be interesting if you could find someone that knows nothing of the story and took them down there to see afterwards if they felt anything.

I'm loathed to tell this story as it puts it back into my mind and I don't like remembering it. In the house I live in now a number of years ago my wife the time was out but my pal was around and we were in the lounge. Out the corner of my eye I could see two older ladies on the pavement looking in towards the house. We have a long path say 25ft to the pavement so they stood out and were there for a wee while.

I decided to open the door and ask them if they were alright and if I could assist in any way. They said that they used to live here a few decades before maybe the 60's iirc and I said well why don't you come in and take a look. They accepted my offer and came in and we chatted away and they left. However before they left they pointed to the corner of the lounge and said "thats where grandad dies, there in that corner in his chair".

Well I wasn't keen on that news and I said to my pal that we should keep quiet about it; of course as soon as my wife came home and blurted it out to her! To be fair she didn't seem bothered but every now and then when I'm sat in the lounge late at night I remember the story and go up to bed quick smart.

I guess it doesn't help that in my old house when I was a kid there was a small mark in my bedroom ceiling and someone took it upon themselves to tell me it was the hook hole where someone hung themselves.

Looks like I'm sleeping in a tent in the garden tonight....

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
I have also had an experience that I cannot explain or properly comprehend.

Many years ago my little sister was taken ill during a bout of flu, and died shortly after as a result of complications. At the time I lived in a flat below hers, although after she died I spent a couple of weeks with family trying to come to terms with it. When I eventually returned home my family and I took to clearing the flat so that the landlord could put it back out to let. However during the night after we had done so, sometime around 1am, I heard this loud, horrifying, mournful cry come from the now empty flat which probably lasted about ten seconds. Then maybe a minute later having shot out of bed and into the front room with all the lights on I heard footsteps, followed by her door opening and closing. To say I was terrified would putting it mildly to say the least.

Eventually I summoned up enough courage to look outside to see what was going on, only to see what looked like my sister walking away down the street with her back to me. I quickly retreated from the window, and spent the next hour or so standing in terrified silence trying to figure out what the hell was going on. After a bit I did wonder if it was some kind of dream, but by the morning and having not moved from the front room I'd concluded that what I'd heard and seen was not a dream. So I summoned up the fragments of courage I had left & went upstairs to see if I could rationalise what had gone on. The door, as expected was locked, and once I'd let myself in there was not sign of anyone having been there, which I didn't expect as the flat was all but empty.

I then tried to think if it could have been someone else she knew that had a key. But to my sister had always said the only people that had keys were myself, the landlord, her boyfriend and my Mum. It couldn't have been my Mum as she was at home in Cheshire at the time and this was in West Yorkshire. So I checked with the landlord who was on holiday in Spain, and her boyfriend who was also at home some 25 miles away. So to this day I cannot think of a rational explanation for what went on. It didn't happen again, although I barely slept for a couple of weeks afterwards. And I am absolutely certain I didn't dream it because I didn't go back to sleep, and went for a very long walk not long after the sun rose to get my head around it all.

That for me leaves only one conclusion. That somehow what remained of her soul had returned, and saw the empty flat. And being very house proud, and possibly not realising she had passed (it was less than 24 hours from her taking ill to being effectively brain dead) had cried, which is what I heard.

It all sounds very far fetched I realise as I type this, but I can assure anyone reading this that these events did happen, and have left me with more questions than I'll ever answer in this life.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I have also had an experience that I cannot explain or properly comprehend.

Many years ago my little sister was taken ill during a bout of flu, and died shortly after as a result of complications. At the time I lived in a flat below hers, although after she died I spent a couple of weeks with family trying to come to terms with it. When I eventually returned home my family and I took to clearing the flat so that the landlord could put it back out to let. However during the night after we had done so, sometime around 1am, I heard this loud, horrifying, mournful cry come from the now empty flat which probably lasted about ten seconds. Then maybe a minute later having shot out of bed and into the front room with all the lights on I heard footsteps, followed by her door opening and closing. To say I was terrified would putting it mildly to say the least.

Eventually I summoned up enough courage to look outside to see what was going on, only to see what looked like my sister walking away down the street with her back to me. I quickly retreated from the window, and spent the next hour or so standing in terrified silence trying to figure out what the hell was going on. After a bit I did wonder if it was some kind of dream, but by the morning and having not moved from the front room I'd concluded that what I'd heard and seen was not a dream. So I summoned up the fragments of courage I had left & went upstairs to see if I could rationalise what had gone on. The door, as expected was locked, and once I'd let myself in there was not sign of anyone having been there, which I didn't expect as the flat was all but empty.

I then tried to think if it could have been someone else she knew that had a key. But to my sister had always said the only people that had keys were myself, the landlord, her boyfriend and my Mum. It couldn't have been my Mum as she was at home in Cheshire at the time and this was in West Yorkshire. So I checked with the landlord who was on holiday in Spain, and her boyfriend who was also at home some 25 miles away. So to this day I cannot think of a rational explanation for what went on. It didn't happen again, although I barely slept for a couple of weeks afterwards. And I am absolutely certain I didn't dream it because I didn't go back to sleep, and went for a very long walk not long after the sun rose to get my head around it all.

That for me leaves only one conclusion. That somehow what remained of her soul had returned, and saw the empty flat. And being very house proud, and possibly not realising she had passed (it was less than 24 hours from her taking ill to being effectively brain dead) had cried, which is what I heard.

It all sounds very far fetched I realise as I type this, but I can assure anyone reading this that these events did happen, and have left me with more questions than I'll ever answer in this life.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister, what a sudden shock.

As for the incident that would have freaked the you know what out of me. Out of interest how long did you continue to live in your flat? I mean even under normal circumstances I think I may have moved away but with the added trauma of the sighting I may have never stayed again!

Bantamzen

Established Member
I'm sorry to hear about your sister, what a sudden shock.

As for the incident that would have freaked the you know what out of me. Out of interest how long did you continue to live in your flat? I mean even under normal circumstances I think I may have moved away but with the added trauma of the sighting I may have never stayed again!

I lived there for a couple of years after she died. It shook me up for sure, and I certainly was very tense around the place for a long time. How I did it, I couldn't tell you because I've no idea!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I've only had one relatively minor experience.

My Mother was over at her boyfriends house one night, I was 18 (now 19). It was about 3 in the morning and I was doing my usual, listening to music and playing some games. All of a sudden, I heard a smash. Like a lightbulb popping or someone dropping a glass. I spent about 15 minutes searching the house for anything that could have smashed, every room, every nook and cranny. Nothing. It scared the living daylights out of me as hearing something smash at 3am when alone isn't exactly nice to endure.

Status
Not open for further replies.