• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gigs / live music discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
We have threads for all sorts of things, why not one for live music discussion?

To start us off, I've mentioned how the inclement weather worked in my favour on my night out in Leeds (thread in Railway Discussion forum), but the reason for my trip was to see the former Sonic Youth member Lee Renaldo (very much the "George Harrison" of SY;)) perform at the Belgrave. Got talking to him afterwards about Trump, Brexit, Leonard Cohen, so was glad of the delay to my train home. The show was great too, even though at least 60% (myself included) of the crowd wanted to shout for Skip Tracer between every song... Next week it'll be Future Of The Left at the Brudenell, with Half Man Half Biscuit in Leeds next month...

Live music events, past present and future- discuss...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I watched some of the BBC Proms in the park this year, really enjoyed seeing Satus Quo and Madness.

Sugg's new record is really good, "Mr Apples", words a very true as is "Baggy Trousers" which decribe my school days very well indeed.

SteveP29

December 1st: The Hydro, Glasgow, Alter Bridge, Volbeat and Gojira (going mainly for Volbeat as they aren't doing a headline UK tour this year)
December 14th: O2 ABC Glasgow, The Wildhearts (my favourite band, 31st time seeing them) supported by Dirt Box Disco and The Main Grains
December 17th,: O2, Forum London, The Wildhearts (again) and Ginger's infamous Birthday Gig

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I tend to go to way too many!!

Wednesday just gone: Will Varley at Thekla in Bristol (amazing singer songwriter, and on a damn boat!).
Thursday just gone (yesterday): Architects and Bury Tomorrow at the O2 Academy Bristol (two amazing bands, one crap venue!).
Tonight: Frank Turner at Salisbury City Hall.
November 29th: MC Lars at Thekla in Bristol.
December 8th: Biffy Clyro at the O2 in London (my first ever seating gig, since that is all the tickets I could get, least I get a rest I suppose!).
December 9th: Bullet For My Valentine and Killswitch Engage at the O2 Academy Brixton.

And a fair few more either already booked for next year or ones that I need to book!

Blamethrower

Last one I went to was Animals as Leaders, Intervals and Plini at the Craufurd Arms in Wolverton.

Brilliant gig, incredible drummers, the hottest ****ing place I have ever been in the middle of summer.

EM2

Established Member
Went to see 65daysofstatic on Monday at Islington Assembly Hall. The support were called Thought Forms and I'm afraid were not great. The singer mentioned that their new album was called 'Songs About Drowning' and the guy next to me said 'Well, they sound like a right cheery bunch!'.
65dos were excellent though, and some very funny anti-Brexit/Trump inter-song repartee :D

Previous gig, which was coincidentally at the same venue, was Trentemoller, who were also brilliant. Their support was the literally named Tom And His Computer, who I actually rather enjoyed.

toppington

SteveP29- see you on the 17th!

Recently been to see Robyn Hitchcock and Emma Swift in London but the gig radar is a bit dry for the rest of the year.

NeilWatson

Waiting patiently for the UK dates of Dream Theater's 2017 tour, celebrating 25 years since Images and Words was released.

TheEscapist_

Waiting patiently for the UK dates of Dream Theater's 2017 tour, celebrating 25 years since Images and Words was released.

Really hoping there's UK dates! They're in Germany while I'm there but other side of the country unfortunately. Got tickets for Bullet for my Valentine, Sonata Arctica, Tarja, Epica and The Pretty Reckless. Gonna be a busy few months!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Established Member
I'm going to see Honeyblood in the Manchester Deaf Institute on December 2nd. Although my partner's a fan of theirs, I haven't heard any of their music before, so I'm looking forward to it.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm going to see Honeyblood in the Manchester Deaf Institute on December 2nd. Although my partner's a fan of theirs, I haven't heard any of their music before, so I'm looking forward to it.

One of their songs is getting heavy rotation on 6music, it's pretty good. Apparently they played Leeds on Thursday night, the same night I was seeing Lee Ranaldo.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Seen the Mighty Wah! twice recently, Pete Wylie should do standup ;) The Lumineers were also good in Birmingham. Only got Nick Lowe booked for the rest of 2016. Next year I've already got several booked, Flaming Lips in January and Skids 4 times in May/June :)

Blamethrower

Went to see 65daysofstatic on Monday at Islington Assembly Hall. The support were called Thought Forms and I'm afraid were not great. The singer mentioned that their new album was called 'Songs About Drowning' and the guy next to me said 'Well, they sound like a right cheery bunch!'.
65dos were excellent though, and some very funny anti-Brexit/Trump inter-song repartee :D

Previous gig, which was coincidentally at the same venue, was Trentemoller, who were also brilliant. Their support was the literally named Tom And His Computer, who I actually rather enjoyed.

I like 65dos, but I hate inter-song brexit/trump bollocks.

Had it with Dorje a few months ago, ruins the night for me. I'm at a gig to escape and get lost in the music, I don't want to be reminded of world bull**** because everyone else is reminding me.

Music and politics just don't mix

96tommy

I went to go and see Phantogram the other night in London, a band I have just recently got into after seeing them support my favourite band Muse a few times during April. Not got too many lately but managed to get tickets to see David Gilmour at the Royal Albert Hall in September, a truly amazing concert.

Next up, Black Sabbath at the Leeds First Direct Arena

Established Member
One of their songs is getting heavy rotation on 6music, it's pretty good. Apparently they played Leeds on Thursday night, the same night I was seeing Lee Ranaldo.

Thanks for that, I'll have to tune in and give it a listen. I've got to be honest, I'd never even heard of Honeyblood until my partner suggested we went to see them last week. Still, we both like the venue, so that's another reason I'm looking forward to it.

59CosG95

Established Member
Just went to see Airbourne at the O2 Institute in Birmingham last night, with Crobot and The Franklys as support; all 3 were absolutely barnstormingly good! Not gonna lie, I feel much the worse for wear after all the moshpits I found myself in...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Future Of The Left were outstanding on Friday night, and included a rarity in the sense of including a song from a previous incarnation of the band in the encore (though it was technically a "noncore" as they never left the stage). The old song was "Lightsabre C*cks*ck*ng Blues" by McLusky. As with all trips to the Brudenell I came away with a long list of upcoming shows I want to try to make!

SteveP29

Volbeat were immense last night, couldn't get into Alter Bridge, had to leave half an hour before the end to make sure I made the last train home, that wasn't such a bad thing for me tbh

dosxuk

Established Member
So far this week I've seen Steve-O, Avatar, Bullet for My Valentine, Electric Six and The Fratellis. Just Pete Tong to go... Busy week.

TheEscapist_

So far this week I've seen Steve-O, Avatar, Bullet for My Valentine, Electric Six and The Fratellis. Just Pete Tong to go... Busy week.

Seen Bullet too, they were so good! cane Hill the support were...errr....awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgl

Established Member
The only gig I've been to this year (and at all really) is seeing Jean Michel Jarre live at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff.
It was a birthday prezzie and although I knew about it months before my birthday was still quite a shock as my father is not a JMJ fan and has never done anything like this before.

It was primarily a mix of songs from his electronica project and some of his classics.

The support act/DJ was a bit crap but aside from that it was amazing esp. that this was the first date on the tour (well aside from the few festivals he did in the summer).
Used the famous laser harp for one of the tracks off electronica 1 and luckily it decided (unlike the dress rehearsal earlier in the day as he commented) worked and looked fantastic.

One thing I thought worked really well is that as well as having a video screen behind him he had 4 about 1m wide mesh video panels that slid from side to side around in front of the stage that gave some very cool 3d effects and is something I have never seen before.
This combined with the lasers and other lighting effects worked really well.

The other night I made my annual pilgrimage to see Electric Six at Birmingham o2 Academy 2. Every Winter they come back to the UK to have a christmas rock-and-roll party and it's always worth going. The venue, of course, is terrible (though this smaller room is definitely better than the main room) and the bar prices absolutely ridiculous.

Despite this, there was much danger and a great deal of high voltage. It's all done with computers.

They were supported by the utterly bizarre Anglo-French band We Are Z, who were pretty fun, and a local band whose name escapes me but who we've seen before and were a fine opener.

Next up, one off my bucket list, Primal Scream! <D

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Saw the Levellers on Tuesday night at the o2 Academy in Newcastle, 25th anniversary of Levelling the Land and they were amazing. Loud and noisy and just as angry as ever. Fantastic.

And as good things come in threes, I'm off to London this weekend to see The Cure at Wembley Arena on Saturday- not quite my choice, but my wife adores them, and I'm very happy to tag along- and then Placebo (who really are my choice) at Manchester Arena on Monday night.

CharlieSpotted said:
Next up, one off my bucket list, Primal Scream!

I saw them in the summer at their outdoors gig in Newcastle, supported by the Super Furry Animals (complimentary tickets, not a bad work perk!). They were absolutely amazing. I now have a proper crush on Simone Butler :oops:

D365

Veteran Member
The only gig I've been to this year (and at all really) is seeing Jean Michel Jarre live at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff.
It was a birthday prezzie and although I knew about it months before my birthday was still quite a shock as my father is not a JMJ fan and has never done anything like this before.

It was primarily a mix of songs from his electronica project and some of his classics.

The support act/DJ was a bit crap but aside from that it was amazing esp. that this was the first date on the tour (well aside from the few festivals he did in the summer).
Used the famous laser harp for one of the tracks off electronica 1 and luckily it decided (unlike the dress rehearsal earlier in the day as he commented) worked and looked fantastic.

One thing I thought worked really well is that as well as having a video screen behind him he had 4 about 1m wide mesh video panels that slid from side to side around in front of the stage that gave some very cool 3d effects and is something I have never seen before.
This combined with the lasers and other lighting effects worked really well.

Don't know if this was the same support act as at Leeds (where I went to see the show) but I thought he was decent. The speaker setup (think sound direction) wasn't great imo, but the show itself was absolutely breath-taking. A guy sitting next to me asked if I had been to any of his other shows, Destination Docklands and the like. Sadly I'm too young, so this was my first, and what an experience it was.

I've had the opportunity this year to fulfil several of my dreams, this has been one of them. When I think back to the show I'm still in awe. Looking forward to getting myself a copy of Oxygene 3.

Established Member
I went to see Honeyblood at the Manchester Deaf Institute last night. It was a great gig, the music and atmosphere were both excellent. I'd definitely like to go and see them again at some point.

Chew Chew

Saw White Lies last Sunday, going to see Blossoms on Tuesday, Allusondrugs on Wednesday, Super Furry Animals the following Monday and Ash that Wednesday.

A wee break and then The Complete Stone Roses between Christmas and New Year.

I love this time of year for bands touring.

Next year I've got White Lies in Aberdeen, Courteeners at Old Trafford and The Stone Roses at Hampden booked so far.

I've still got 4 weeks leave to take before the end of March so I reckon I'll head out of my home city, Aberdeen, to see some gigs.

I saw them in the summer at their outdoors gig in Newcastle, supported by the Super Furry Animals (complimentary tickets, not a bad work perk!). They were absolutely amazing. I now have a proper crush on Simone Butler :oops:

Primal Scream were good last night, but surprisingly fell slightly short of great, for me. I think that magic connection with the Birmingham crowd was somewhat missing, perhaps because of the winter cold, perhaps because it was Sunday night, but the crowd never got going and therefore neither really did the band. It was a perfectly professional performance, but I expected a bit more Rock N Roll!

But, oh yes, I see what you mean about Simone! [emoji173]

438dade1a7179ea0d533d6ac691b90a9.jpg

(Perhaps now my second favourite bassist ever, after Charlotte Cooper from The Subways)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

dgl

Established Member
Don't know if this was the same support act as at Leeds (where I went to see the show) but I thought he was decent. The speaker setup (think sound direction) wasn't great imo, but the show itself was absolutely breath-taking. A guy sitting next to me asked if I had been to any of his other shows, Destination Docklands and the like. Sadly I'm too young, so this was my first, and what an experience it was.

I've had the opportunity this year to fulfil several of my dreams, this has been one of them. When I think back to the show I'm still in awe. Looking forward to getting myself a copy of Oxygene 3.

He might have got better as the shows went on as we were at the first gig on the tour.

The luckiest thing, though, was the hotel that we were staying in was literally over the road from the venue so no long trip back after the concert.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.