Girl dies after falling between train and platform

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by 142094, 25 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 142094

142094 Established Member

Link to story here. Accident happened at James Street in Liverpool.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. ANorthernGuard

ANorthernGuard Established Member

Sad story and a waste of a young life, so easy to happen just a waste

4. Gathursty

Gathursty Established Member

That's quite sad to hear. I was there earlier that afternoon passing through. :(

5. district

district Member

Thoughts with her friends and family.

6. the sniper

the sniper Established Member

Heard a lot about this, a really sad affair. My thoughts go out to the family and friends of the girl, and to those who were on the platform.

7. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Established Member

Sadly this happens all too often, but when you tell people to stop running they just don't listen.

8. Badger

Badger Member

Between the train and the platform? I can see it happen. When Turbostars stop at the exteme ends of New Street platforms there can be a 2 foot gap to jump over.

9. mappman1000

mappman1000 Member

Sad to hear such a thing happening

10. headshot119

headshot119 Established Member

My sympathy to her family and friends. I must admit I always feel rather nervous on underground platforms and like to keep my back firmly against the wall.

11. SS4

SS4 Established Member

I've nothing much to add really. I just hope that the family aren't badgered by the media in the latter's insatiable need to exploit death for money

12. Chapeltom

Chapeltom Established Member

Could this have been something to do with the 3rd rail as well? I hate those things, just scare me!

13. Ivo

Ivo Established Member

A sad story indeed, and thoughts to all affected. It does however show another uninteded benefit of PEDs, although even they may not have completely prevented this horrible tragedy.

14. craigwilson

craigwilson Member

I think that if if it's anything like the south east, 3rd rails that are parallel to platforms tend to be outside the far rail (relative to the platform), so probably not. I couldn't say for sure though.

15. wessex

wessex Member

She may have slipped, it is always good that thse incidents are reported as otherwise the general population would not know how often it happens and something may be done about it.

and if it stops one person running for a train then it is worthwhile reporting it.

16. Ferret

Ferret Established Member

Just a thought like, but the Beeb reporting this will serve as a reminder to all that railways are a dangerous place. It does at least raise awareness of what can happen and who knows, maybe stop somebody else suffering the same unfortunate fate.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Oct 2011
  17. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The most select part of rural Cheshire East.
    I think that this story has a very strong message to impart about the dangers of not following personal safety measures where railways are concerned at any underground or surface-level station.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Oct 2011
  18. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

I think it shows them for any railway station regardless of location!

19. All Line Rover

All Line Rover Established Member

That is true and I would not disagree with that.

20. DaveNewcastle

DaveNewcastle Established Member Fares Advisor

Quite right.
    Bur, what's this?
    Yes, and I consider this to be a neccessary requirement of a Public Service Broadcaster. Such reports might just reach the consiousness of some travellers at times when signs and notices do not. Maybe just at a moment when a choice with fatal consequences is considered.

Its a very, very regrettable matter, whatever the details of the circumstances (which seem so interesting to some), but the sheer profundity of the loss of a daughter is all that any of us should need to reflect on. Its such a profound experience that our language doesn't even have a word for it (in comparison with 'widow', 'orphan' etc.). We can only emote.

What a terrible loss. We shouldn't be concerned with the babble that comes from our media and 'ambulance chasing' law firms, but rather remember how fragile our fleeting existence can be, how acute loss can be, and place a real value on those other lives around us for which we all have some responsibility.

21. 142094

This is why I think the story should be reported - otherwise we could well be in the same situation another time.

As for those questioning the reporting - why not create a separate thread for this and stop this one from being locked?

22. Turbocharger

Turbocharger Member

A few months ago I got off a train at Addlestone, and as the train departed a teenager, who had just alighted it, ran to the double doors and tried to force them apart as the train picked up speed.

After a few seconds he went back to his buddy laughing. I called out to him and spoke to him about his actions.

I told him to never ever interfere with a departing train. It is against the law as well as dangerous. He gave me lip, but his friend told him to shut up.

I was going to call the Police, as I said to him if he fell and got caught on the train he could have brought other platform users with him.

This girl sadly lost her life and could of taken others with her. I for one don't see why the story should not be used as an example of how dangerous running for a train is, and also how these people endanger other platform users.

I would like to know if this train was guard dispatched or platform staff dispatched though. Also third rail up North?

23. Gathursty

Gathursty Established Member

Third rail up north? Yeah, Merseyrail is a self-contained electrified network and it would likely be guard dispatched from what I recollect from last weeks travels to Merseyside.

I'd like to ask if you did fall on to the tracks from a platform with no third rail or train anywhere near and for some reason you couldn't pull yourself up to the platform, are there any features such as steps or built-in cubby holes to permit you easy access back up without having to go to the end of the platform and walk up the ramp/stairs?

Probably should make a new thread about this but it's linked to the OP.

24. Turbocharger

Turbocharger Member

I am now hearing the person was running and waving goodbye to someone on the train.

If it was guard dispatched, then they had no chance sadly.

I have Facebooked the link for my friends to keep well away from the edge no matter what. Unless boarding a train.

25. YorkshireBear

YorkshireBear Established Member

Tragic Accident, some people don't always realise, this story serves as reminder.

R.I.P Thoughts with all her family and friends.

26. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Please keep the discussion civil. Emotions can run high in threads like this so please ensure that the discussion stays on topic, whether you agree with other people's opinions or not. Name-calling and insults will not be tolerated. Thank you.

27. 142094

Many long platforms do have, them as well as platforms without ramps. However in 3rd rail land you would be very lucky to fall from the platform and not touch a live rail.

28. Hydro

Hydro Established Member

I'd say it was actually quite hard to touch a conductor rail if you fell off a platform.

Instances where the conductor rail is platform side excepted.

29. TDK

TDK Established Member

I don't know anywhere where the conductor rail is platform side to be honest, that isn't the issue here, a young girl lost her life due to an unfortunate accident that probably couldn't be prevented by anyone, I just feel for the family, friends and public who witnessed the accident. No one will know the exact reason for the accident until the final report is published.

30. Statto

Statto Established Member

I agree, from what i've read in the Local Press, she fell between the platform & the train, as the train was leaving, the 3rd rail has nothing to do with it.

31. Hydro

Hydro Established Member

Eastleigh, P3 London end. But you're right, this isn't the issue, was just responding to a previous post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.