• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Give the short sleeve" is an expression that exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giugiaro

Does the idiom Giving *someone* the short sleeve actually exist?

I had the notion this phrase meant "to ignore" someone, "not paying attention" or "avoid swiftly", like:

People went on rally to Downing Street, but the Prime Minister gave them the short sleeve.

I tried to look the expression up on the Internet, but couldn't find anything.

I might be mistaking it for "Drawing the short straw", but that generally means "bad luck". There's also no such thing on my mother tongue or any language that I've learnt, so that can't be the case...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
You’re thinking of short shrift.
You give someone short shrift if you ignore them or brush them off.

Shrewbly

Incidentally shrift* is one of those words in English that is hardly ever used except as part of an idiom.

*Absolution by a priest (I had to look this up even though I've used the idiom!)

DaleCooper

Established Member
I went to buy a shirt, they had long sleeve and short sleeve shirts. I asked the assistant to give me the short sleeve.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yes it is, I used it the other day. Punctuation may be an issue though. I was trying to get my daughter out of the house, and she was mucking about with a pair of shorts that were her sisters. So I said:

“Give her the shorts, leave!”

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.